• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

newbie here

hydroxside

I just wanted to say hey to everyone I am glad I joined this forum I hope in the future I can get advice and listen to yalls past experience to help me educate people about OCing I am and will always carry legally in the open untill it is illegal and or I am unable please post your coments thanks again.

hydroxside

Oh yeah and I am thinking about buying a S&W M&P 9mm just want know what people think of the gun and if its a good and reliable OC gun let me know.

Dreamer

The S&W M&P has a very good reputation. They are carried as issued firearms by Maryland Park Service officers.

Although last sumer when I was at the Annapolis Blues Fest, 4 of the 5 MPS officers I asked couldn't name the make OR model of the gun they were carrying. Although I think the gun is a good firearm, the lack of familiarity among MPS officers did not inspire confidence in THEIR ablities...

hydroxside

Yeah that doesn't sound very convicing about their abilties when then don't even know what they are carrying pretty irresponsable to me but thanks on the info any other models of OC guns I should look into?

smlawrence

Yeah that doesn't sound very convicing about their abilties when then don't even know what they are carrying pretty irresponsable to me but thanks on the info any other models of OC guns I should look into?

There are so many circumstances to determine a good model for OC. I hear alot about the 1911, XD's & XDm's and several others. Best to find what is comfortable and accurate with you behind the trigger.

sultan62

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many to list. The great thing about OC is you aren't limited by size, so you can pretty much carry what you want.

hydroxside

Yeah I'm only trying to spend about 500 bucks come tax time I've held thhe M&P I like the way it feels and the trigger pull the xd is ok handle wise I've. Havnt found a 1911 that has good sights and made good for around that price.

Maverick9110e

Welcome! I just purchased an m&p .45 full-size for oc, and live it! Fits my hand like a glove, better then the xd did. That said get what fits you best and you can shoot well. Where in NC are ya? Personal defense and handgun in Raleigh has an indoor range with rentals. They have both the m&p full-size and compact 9 to rent as well as some others.

Also if your interested in a 1911 option in that price range check para ordnance.

Last edited:

hydroxside

I live in thomasville thanks for the info on the m&p I would to get a 1911 but I don't know what kinda of para should I get?

Maverick9110e

I live in thomasville thanks for the info on the m&p I would to get a 1911 but I don't know what kinda of para should I get?

I was in the same boat, lol. I was going for the GI expert esp. I wound up going with the m&p mostly because I was not 100% comfortable with my field stripping abilities of a 1911, so I'm waiting to brush up on that. Plus it will give me time to save up for a 1911 that will cost a little more. Paras are good but they're on the low end of the $$ side.

Also if your looking at the M&P I spent a lot of time over at mp-pistol.com

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
The M&P is really wide in the grip and its hard to hold. But i'd ditch the 9mm and get a 40 or a 45...but that is MY personal preference...and that is why buying a gun comes down to. If a keltec fits your hand and you shoot it well, that is what you need to buy.

jeremy002

checkout archdale ammo and arms on 311 in archdale right by the pioneer restaurant they have a good selection on 1911s and pretty fair prices

hydroxside

I ve been to both those stores I bought my ruger at archdale they don't keep lots of paras there one of the guys that works there says he doesn't like them so he doesn't stock them. Jack had one para GI expert there I looked at it liked it but hasn't had any more come in inna while. I was thinking of getting that M&P from archdale for about 509 so I think that's what I'm gonna get but don't know if I want a 9mm or 40 cal so...........

smlawrence

I ve been to both those stores I bought my ruger at archdale they don't keep lots of paras there one of the guys that works there says he doesn't like them so he doesn't stock them. Jack had one para GI expert there I looked at it liked it but hasn't had any more come in inna while. I was thinking of getting that M&P from archdale for about 509 so I think that's what I'm gonna get but don't know if I want a 9mm or 40 cal so...........

IMO the .40 always over the 9mm. Alot of people are shot with the 9mm and not really affected by it. Not so much with the .40.