• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An old friend comes home

Hammer

When my son returned from his hitch with the Navy, he didn't have a gun in his house. I set him up with one from my place so he would have SOMETHING, as he didn't settle in a very good neighborhood. (Are there "nice" neighborhoods anymore?)
So time has passed and he has improved his home protection tools. The ol' truck gun came back to me, much the worse for wear. I sent him my KelTec P-11, parkerized slide finish. I mentioned that it still needed a "fluff & buff"
Apparently he thought the metal looked so much nicer without a finish, he just removed it all. Of course, it all rusted up pretty quickly.
I wish I had taken a "before" pic. It was pretty crusty. I decided a blued finish was more to my liking than phosphated, so polished it best I could. some of the pits were too deep to pull out. It turned out OK anyway. I still have a couple small parts to put in it, but it runs and is cheap enough not to have to worry about.
There is an anomaly no one but a true KelTec-y might pick out. Do you see it? And no, it's not the missing front sight. The new one is among the parts on order.

DSCN2540.jpg

Hammer

Thank him for his service and slap him around for mistreating a defenseless firearm.

I'll pass that along....
He knew he'd screwed up as soon as the gun started to patina after he removed the finish. I really didn't think it would turn out very well, as it looked bad.
That cheap blue in the gunshop did OK! :)