• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private lot parking ticket?

END_THE_FED

Absent a law that authorizes them to charge a fine. ( I doubt there is one but there might be) They would have to take you to court to enforce it.

Don't just ignore it though, There is little doubt that they have the name and address of the vehicles registered owner. If you ignore the ticket it will go to a collection agency.

Write a letter to the parking company asking them what authority they have to charge you.
Tell them you do not agree with the charge and refuse to pay it. The failure to dispute the "fine" might be seen as passive consent to the "fine", or at least they might try to argue that.
Do not admit to parking there and leaving. It is up to them to prove your wife did it.
Go to the lot and see if the signs are clearly visible from where she parked. also I would think the signs would have to specifically mention the fine.

Is her car registered to you? If so simply tell them that you are not responsible to pay for someone else parking in their facility. The "fine" is issued to the registered owner if the registerd owner wasn't driving then........

Tess

Founder's Club Member
It could be prosecuted if the lot is clearly posted and if California statute provides for such. I don't read the vehicle code cite here (admittedly out of context) as clear provision for it.

Will they take you to court for $60? Probably not.

Did your wife not buy a coffee, have lunch, stop for milk on the way home, etc. at that shopping center? Even without a receipt, if she did, and attested to such, then she is within her rights to park there, right?

The honorable thing is to pay it if she disregarded what she knew about parking there, to the contempt of the private property owner. But if she spent a cent at that shopping center during that day, write and ask them not to take out frustrations on customers.