• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Invasion, 25yr shot in head

BRAND0N

RACINE - Police and paramedics responded to a call at 11:49 p.m. Tuesday to the 3500 block Douglas Avenue for a report of a person who was shot in the head. The officers located a male shooting victim inside 3501 Douglas Ave. The 25 year old male victim was pronounced deceased at the scene, according to the police.

Police state the preliminary investigation indicates a suspect forced his way into an apartment and shot the victim. A roommate armed himself with a gun and shot at the suspect. The suspect then fled the apartment.

No suspects are in custody and the investigation into this incident is ongoing, according to a statement released by the Racine Police Department this morning.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_578783be-0291-11e0-ad69-001cc4c002e0.html

UPDATE @ 10:39Am
RACINE - Police were still on the scene this morning of an overnight shooting in the 3500 block of Douglas Avenue that left one man dead.

Daniel R. Mayfield, 25, of 3501 Douglas Ave., was pronounced dead at the scene late Tuesday night, according to police.

Racine County Medical Examiner Tom Terry said an autopsy will be performed today in Waukesha County.

Initial reports said officers and paramedics were called to an apartment building at 3501 Douglas Ave. at 11:49 p.m. for a person who was shot in the head. Police found the Mayfield inside an apartment and called for the Racine County Medical Examiner.

Police said Mayfield was shot when another man forced his way into the apartment and opened fire. Mayfield's 22-year-old roommate armed himself with a gun and returned fire, reports said.

The suspect then fled the apartment. The suspect is described as a male, about 6 feet 5 inches tall and weighing about 280 pounds.

Police spokesman Sgt. Marty Pavilonis said it is unknown at this point if the suspect was hit by the returned gunfire.

"He didn't show up at any hospital near here," he said.

The roommate was questioned by police, however Pavilonis said he is not in custody for any criminal activity related to the shooting.

"We're still trying to figure out what took place," Pavilonis said.

Police have not released any further details about the homicide, including whether it was a robbery, drug-related or if there is some other motive.

Both men - the victim and his roommate - lived at the apartment, according to police.

Mayfield's family have been notified of his death.

No suspects were in custody this morning. The investigation is ongoing and police were still on the scene early this morning.

Yellow tape surrounded the front and side of the building. A police squad blocked off North Street as a car was being towed away from the corner apartment building at 9 a.m.

Last edited:
M

McX

citizens must be armed, even at home, no where, no place is ever safe.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Very unfortunate for the man who lost his life. I bet they won't bring up the fact, that a gun, kept it from being two men dead!

That and it's likely that this criminal has commited armed robbery before. It's also likely that he has confronted someone before and if that someone had a firearm to defend themselves there might have been one dead criminal and no dead LAC's here.

BRAND0N

As it reads the guy who was shot wasn't the one that invaded the home. He was the one who's home was broken in to.

Correct,

The individual who invaded the home was not the one shot, but the shooter. The 25yr was one of two residents of the apartment invaded.

The "invader" is still on the run and by the looks of the scene took of on foot. Police have a complete side street blocked of with tape as they follow foot prints in the snow and mark them with a numbered card.

Steve~

The "invader" took off on foot south on Douglas and then went west on South st. Where he made is way in between Factory Cat and that other ware house company. From there I lost site of the tracks but could only assume he headed towards the Jacato area..

Rant~
With this only feet from my house I hope my other half can now come to reason why my Springfield never leaves my side! (She use to come up with reason of debate) Any man that might threaten my children's life's is that of a dead man

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
News Report Is About Useless

SNIP: "The suspect is described as a male, about 6 feet 5 inches tall and weighing about 280 pounds."

Why is it that the news/police rarely issue a description that can be used? Is the average citizen supposed to assume all the missing parts of the description and just report every male that is 6 ft 5 inches and about 280 pounds?

I hate the PC police.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
This is about 5 blocks from my house... [shakes head] wish the economy wasn't so crappy so we could move out of here...

littlewolf

Seems Claymore's would be in order for this area ! It's to bad we cannot use the proper tools for the task at hand.
God bless the Law abiding survivors in that part of Racine.

bigdaddy1

I used to work in Racine close to 20 years ago. Was getting pretty rough back then, cant imagine what it is now. In fact I was working there when the Rodney King thing went down. I kept a .380 under the counter.