• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Officer Involved Shooting

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Last edited:

uncoolperson

was the gun brandished/displayed/carried, I've seen all three used to describe this.

hoping it wasn't someone reaching for a voice recorder.

I'd like to know what "evasive" meant....

with the details given, could be someone up to no good as easily as it could be a new comer to OC that fumbled "the script"

sudden valley gunner

I need to know more, sounds to me the police escalated the situation very fast.

Seeing the police reports I have seen, I don't trust a word they say, rather hear from some bystanders.

amlevin

When a police officer shouts "show me your hands" there is a high likelihood that failure to do so will turn out bad.

Not the time to turn and walk away.

If Seattle has many more incidents like this, coupled with other incidents that put officers on "administrative leave", they might start running short of officers to patrol the streets.

joeroket

All of the articles I have read are indicative of a good shoot. It seems the subject is the one that escalated the incident from less than lethal to lethal force being required.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
All of the articles I have read are indicative of a good shoot. It seems the subject is the one that escalated the incident from less than lethal to lethal force being required.

I agree, I have not heard nor suspect anything that wouldn't make it a good shoot. I did hear on King 5 news that the handgun found on the suspect was unloaded. (Did he think he was in California?)

I remember from a long time ago when I joined this forum some sage advice from Spydertattoo..... don't ever physically resist (place your strong side arm/hand on your head) but vivaciously verbally resist.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Sad to see this happen but none the less the circumstances seems to warrant the response.
When Police respond to a call as this ie threats, gun involved from what they believe to be credible they act and in this case the story reads they were using a taser to begin with when it appeared he was going for a gun then the Officer switched to deadly force.
All in all the person shot refused commands by Officers, a very stupid move and now he knows why.

While I am all for standing up for ones rights there is a place and time to make that stand as it must be weighed on what is to be accomplished versus the threat at hand, he made the wrong choice.
We have some that promote pushing the line of resistance on the forum, careful what you asked for and make sure what you have to gain is worth what one may loose.
There is something to the quote of "Live to Fight Another Day" pick your battles well.

amzbrady

"When he jammed his hand down the front of his pants, the officer could see a large metal object."

What if he had a prothetic organ and was just adjusting himself?

joeroket

"When he jammed his hand down the front of his pants, the officer could see a large metal object."

Except for the fact that the complaint was that he was "brandishing" a gun. The officers had reason to believe he was armed, and at the point he stuffed his hands down his pants he became a credible threat.

FMCDH

Not the time to be playing with yourself, but hey, that's just me. ;-)

If this guy really was going for a gun he knew was unloaded, he was looking for "death by cop", and either was suicidal, insane or both.

I seriously don't think he was looking to bluff them down by waving an unloaded gun at two police officers, ya know?

Other than those, I figure the guy was trying to buy time by stalling when his "gangsta tucked" revolver started to slip down his pants and he instinctively attempted to keep it from falling out his pants leg and getting him in serious trouble.

When a criminal that knows he caught doesn't have any other play, all they have left is to deny, lie and stall, especially when he knows the worst that's going to happen to him is to be deported yet again.

If he was sane, he had nothing to loose by not complying, but his poor decision making process got him shot.

Lesson? Bad guys don't wear holsters.

Last edited:

devildoc5

The armed man who was wounded by a Seattle police officer near Pioneer Square late Tuesday had been deported to Mexico in 2008, according to a law enforcement source.

So he was ALREADY breaking the law before the officers even contacted him! This is why we need someone in office who is not afraid to ENFORCE the laws we have. It is not time to "party at the border" it is time to ENFORCE ALL of our laws!

This open border crap is really starting to get on my nerves! We already have enough problems with unemployment and economy and drugs and violence and crime, we dont need more LAWBREAKERS and laborers sucking EVEN MORE life out of this country...

JoeSparky

Centurion
I agree, I have not heard nor suspect anything that wouldn't make it a good shoot. I did hear on King 5 news that the handgun found on the suspect was unloaded. (Did he think he was in California?)

I remember from a long time ago when I joined this forum some sage advice from Spydertattoo..... don't ever physically resist (place your strong side arm/hand on your head) but vivaciously verbally resist.

So, was the orange tip on this "toy" removed? I know, I wasn't there and I have no information to support a claim of the weapon being carried was a "toy".

Just goes to show, if you carry, carry and use a voice or video recorder that is activated all the time AND DON"T MAKE ANY SUDDEN MOVES IN VIOLATION OF THE OFFICERS COMMANDS. The right time to fight a civil rights violation IF ONE OCCURS is after the incident!

I make no assumptions about or do I have an personal knowledge of the specifics in this incident!

Last edited: