• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upstairs Neighbors Getting Rowdy

wrightme

this is the Wisconsin part of the forum I am just guessing here but I would say the person is likely refering to Wisconsin law.

939.48 Self−defense and defense of others. (1) A person is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating what the person reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with his or her person by such other person. The actor may intentionally use only such force or threat thereof as the actor reasonably believes is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. The actor may not intentionally use force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself
So, the relevant statute is NOT only "one of us is going to die."

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The gimmick rounds are coming out, that makes perfect sense. I'm not going to be moving because we are only concerned with one guy, and we just moved in here last month. I requested a police report and the lady referred me to the DA. I'll have to call him to get anything they got written up so far. Before I knew that he was a sex offender and possibly dealing marijuana, he seemed like a decent guy. He's only a year older than me, and frankly, if he is stupid enough to break in and take something, we have a pretty good idea who it was. I think he may be out on bail, not sure what actually happened, but he'll probably be leaving this residence soon. We're going to get ahold of the real estate office and see if they've been alerted by the police department yet regarding this incident.

The problem is rubber buckshot is that it is marketed as a "less than lethal" round and it is meant to be used on targets beyond a certain distance--- a distance you may not have inside a residence. The round might still be lethal withing the recommended distances, but certainly has a much greater chance of becoming lethal when used at shorter distances. If the perp dies and you say you used rubber rounds and didn't mean to kill him, then you might be opened up to negligent homicide charges.

Use of bird shot within a residence, particularly an apartment building actually makes a certain amount of sense, because it is less likely to penetrate into adjoining rooms or apartments. Within typical room's-length distances it won't have spread so much that it loses it's lethality, but enters as a loose lead mass creating a ugly "rat hole" wound. Still I recommend buckshot, if not OO, then maybe #4 buckshot. I use OO and OOO and slugs.

Gunslinger

00 buckshot and a .460S&W magnum are NOT good PD loads in an apartment. Overpenetration is almost guaranteed. Birdshot won't, and will certainly do the job at close range. Or get a .357 or .45 auto with good HP loads. Don't shoot a .460 with full power loads under any circumstances with only drywall as a backstop. The .45 Colts are probably OK, but just not my choice for PD in your situation. Best advice: get the hell outa there.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

Isn't the issue providing safety for family while keeping guns out of criminal hands?

Yes the issue is protecting life, home, and property therein. However, it doesn't sound like(at least to me) that the upstairs neighbors were a bunch of illegal gun toting, drug abusing, violent thief's that were hell bent on invading the home below.

Drug addict/dealer gets in fight with GF; noise continues through the night; cops are called; the raid gets bumped up. I don't believe there were any specific threats to the OP, he just happened to live right below someone who didn't associate with the right people(happens to the best of us). Its sounds like that is being remedied(time will tell). Sure there may be a lingering bad influence around and giving advice as to the best way to be prepared "just in case" is what should be intended. It doesn't sound like the OP is a target because of all of this - just wrong place wrong time. You could move halfway across the world and still be witness to such an event.

Imagine reading this thread had he NOT called the cops and they raided his residence by mistake. :shocker:

Last edited:

Pyro01

A quick update, they all moved out and the upstairs apartment is currently empty. I had a pretty good feeling this would happen, I'm glad I stuck it out.

jpm84092

Glad That The Situation Has Corrected Itself

Me too. As I watched this thread unfold, I was tempted to ask you to consider attending the NRA Personal Protection In The Home course - and perhaps offering to be the Instructor for this course when I return for a visit to WI in the Spring or early Summer (and teach McX the Utah Concealed Carry Course).

I am glad that this matter is now a "non-issue" for you.

Pyro01

00 buckshot and a .460S&W magnum are NOT good PD loads in an apartment. Overpenetration is almost guaranteed. Birdshot won't, and will certainly do the job at close range. Or get a .357 or .45 auto with good HP loads. Don't shoot a .460 with full power loads under any circumstances with only drywall as a backstop. The .45 Colts are probably OK, but just not my choice for PD in your situation. Best advice: get the hell outa there.

I know this is kind of moot now, but even if I used .460 S&W mag or 00 buck, there's no where for the rounds to go except into the dirt outside our walls, we live below ground and unless we shoot into the ceiling, no one's going to get hit. I use .45 colt hollowpoints in the gun right now for PD. My "apartment" is half a house, and we rent the lower half which is all below ground, it's a nice little place.