• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County inquest process revamped after outcry

Nevada carrier

snip...
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that police officers say the changes will create an adversarial process that will discourage officers from testifying.

to translate, this means they will only answer scripted questions designed to exonerate them. Now that someone has the opportunity to point the dirty end of the stick at them, they're going to fold their arms and play silent cop.

Coded-Dude

and the right to remain silent for citizens is being challenged in other countries. Lets give police all the guns and all the freedom they want to criminalize people of their choosing.....all the while stripping rights of civilians.
:monkey

Nevada carrier

I actually had an officer once tell me that "because you're not under arrest, you don't have the right to remain silent," he then added in a forceful tone, "answer my F'ing question or you'll be under arrest for obstruction." I turned around and put my hands behind my back, basically daring him to arrest me; He never did. I was cited for trespassing, however the charge dismissed because I was never told that I was trespassed. A witness at my motion to dismiss hearing testified to what the officer said and the judge reprimanded the officer telling him "one more incident like this and I'll see to it you loose your badge." His explanation to the judge for his actions were,"He is a minor, and therefore not entitled to protection under the constitution." the judges response to the officer was that unless he showed proof that he attended a class at the community college on the U.S. Constitution after the next semester, he would be held in contempt.

I believe justice was served in this case.

DoubleAgentMan

Activist Member
I actually had an officer once tell me that "because you're not under arrest, you don't have the right to remain silent," he then added in a forceful tone, "answer my F'ing question or you'll be under arrest for obstruction." I turned around and put my hands behind my back, basically daring him to arrest me; He never did. I was cited for trespassing, however the charge dismissed because I was never told that I was trespassed. A witness at my motion to dismiss hearing testified to what the officer said and the judge reprimanded the officer telling him "one more incident like this and I'll see to it you loose your badge." His explanation to the judge for his actions were,"He is a minor, and therefore not entitled to protection under the constitution." the judges response to the officer was that unless he showed proof that he attended a class at the community college on the U.S. Constitution after the next semester, he would be held in contempt.

Dude, that is awesome :)

Nevada carrier

Dude, that is awesome :)

The scary thing is that it appears it is possible to take an oath to enforce the laws of the state you serve and uphold the Constitution of the United States, but you're not required to demonstrate a working knowledge of either.

What would happen if, to be a police officer, you must earn at least an AA degree in law enforcement? The State Board of accreditation requires that every Associates degree must satisfy 6 credits in U.S. and Nevada Constitution. This begs the question, are the vast majority of police officers intellectually qualified to serve in that capacity? Is their working knowledge of the Constitution and the laws of the state in which they serve even called into question during an inquest?

I've known some very bright officers over the years, who apply a suspects constitutional rights as if they are assumed to be exercised unless they are specifically waived. I've known the majority of officers to be exceptionally well qualified for the physical riggers of the job but intellectually, they are very dim. Then there are the "Jabba the cop" type officers who are neither intellectually not physically qualified and their only working knowledge is of the department policies and procedures manual at best.

My personal opinion is that it is far to easy to be a police officer, and that nepotism plays a large part of the selection process. Also part of the problem is that those who are exceptionally skilled both intellectually and physically for the job are often recruited for law enforcement positions with far more advantageous agencies; DEA, U.S. Marshals, F.B.I. and Secret Service. Leaving the population as a whole left with the bottom of the barrel as their common enforcement arm of the justice system.

I believe if we can solve this problem, we won't need to worry so much about farces like the coroners inquest because, more often than not, evidence will speak for itself when we have the most talented law enforcement agents serving at every level of the justice system. Call me an Idealist, or even naive, but I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Where do you get these judges, and where can I import a few for my State (FL)?

Nevada carrier

Where do you get these judges, and where can I import a few for my State (FL)?

Remarkably, both times I've had a judge dismiss a charge based on police misconduct was were Iowa, one of the least constitutionally friendly states in the nation, I place it third, behind California at #1 and Illinois at #2, but probably neck and neck with New York and New Jersey. Iowa is getting better though, on Jan 1, they become shall issue.

Last edited:

Robin47

Remarkably, both times I've had a judge dismiss a charge based on police misconduct was were Iowa, one of the least constitutionally friendly states in the nation, I place it third, behind California at #1 and Illinois at #2, but probably neck and neck with New York and New Jersey. Iowa is getting better though, on Jan 1, they become shall issue.

Yeah Nevada Carrier, people are waking up in Iowa, now its my home state and when I was a kid of 16
we could walk to the county dump and target practice all day long.
We could LOC 3 miles down to the dump also. "No big deal".
Times shore have changed in Iowa, over the last 40 plus years.
But your right things are looking up there now.
:) Robin47