• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry @ Palm Springs Street Fair?

Snorph

I recently purchased my first handgun (A Ruger Security Six) and plan on open carrying here in the San Bernardino County / Riverside County area. I plan on OCing if I get out before Thursday, which is the day of the street fair, but I haven't seen anyone OCing in my neck of the woods (Yucca Valley, JT, 29 Palms area). I do plan on going to the street fair this Thursday to do some birthday shopping (My fiance, me, and my oldest are all December babies so this is one expensive month) and Christmas shopping.

Question is, has anyone OCed at the Street Fair in Palm Springs? Are there any firearm bans that I am unaware of at this weekly event? Is anyone in the area interested in joining if I do go?

Thanks a lot ahead of time.

Snorph - New OCer.

DEFENSOR

OC Street Fair

Hey Snorph.
If you don't end up in any school zones you may be ok.
South Bay Open Carry ran into some issues with the board of fair organizers and the city.
If they are allowing free unrestricted access to the fair as I suspect it would be difficult for
them to justify restricting you for legally carrying. Don't forget your recording devices and
some literature to handout. Check out southbayopencarry.org articles for the one about
the Manhattan Beach Fair. Have a great open carry day.

Snorph

Thanks. I checked on Google maps and it seems the closest schools to the weekly event are at least a mile away, so I feel safe with that. I just hope that the Palm Springs police are informed and used to OC, as well as the San Bernardino sheriffs department for where I actually live.

If anyone has any experience with the lower desert and/or the areas around 29 Palms I would love to hear them. Even if they were "Walked in to Walmart, bought toothpaste, left." I like to have an idea of what to expect, heh.

chewy352

If you are unsure as to how educated your local LEOs are go to californiaopencarry.org and print out some other LEA memos and some of our fliers. Make an appointment with a watch commander if you can and go talk to him. If you can't get an audience than mail the memos and fliers to the chief/sheriff return receipt.

Also you could submit a PRAR request concerning "open carry" and possibly get a new memo for the website. :D

Good luck and make sure you know all the ins and outs of our draconian gun laws before you head out.

Firemark

If you are unsure as to how educated your local LEOs are go to californiaopencarry.org and print out some other LEA memos and some of our fliers. Make an appointment with a watch commander if you can and go talk to him. If you can't get an audience than mail the memos and fliers to the chief/sheriff return receipt.

Also you could submit a PRAR request concerning "open carry" and possibly get a new memo for the website. :D

Good luck and make sure you know all the ins and outs of our draconian gun laws before you head out.

If no one has OC'd in that area before, and LE are not prepared or know about laws regarding UOC, then there is a good chance you may get treated like a criminal (proned out, cuffed, etc.) Definitley make every attempt to do a face to face with senior supervising officer. It will also give you a gauge of what to expect from the patrol officers training and knowledge. Record everything!!!! for your protection.