• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is your weapon going to stop a gun fight?

Bronson

Not trying to derail the thread but somebody brought a bunch of American Rifleman magazines from the '60s and '70s into work. In reading the "Armed Citizen" section it's interesting to note that the vast majority of the people in the those stories that had to defend themselves with a firearm did so with a .22.

Bronson

TheQ

Not trying to derail the thread but somebody brought a bunch of American Rifleman magazines from the '60s and '70s into work. In reading the "Armed Citizen" section it's interesting to note that the vast majority of the people in the those stories that had to defend themselves with a firearm did so with a .22.

Bronson

Did it "stop" the perp in his tracks or cause him to flea. My guess is with a .22 if the perp isn't himself armed he'd flea.

NHCGRPR45

15 rounds for my .38 S&W - (Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 +P 130gr JHP / HKS Speedloader)

Ideally I want to carry:
32 rounds for my .45 S&W 1911 - (?)
However that would mean carrying 4 loaded clips on my belt since LOC is illegal here and I have yet to file for "loaded carry"(waiting on the 1911 before I try). I may end up only going with 24 rounds

I get the 1911 out of jail on Saturday and haven't made up my mind on a Self Defense round

[edit] i put 40...i meant 45 also this is from the article:

magazines,,,,,sorry for being a terminology nazi,,,,,,

golden sabre, gold dot, hornady TAP red or black box, winchester silver tip or ranger, federal hydra-shok, corbon and several others are great rounds. but when i had a .45ACP it was 230gr golden sabre rounds. they fed and cycled perfectly without any trouble in ejection or extraction. through several guns kimber, nighthawk, sig 1911 springfield armory.

Yep the hardware is useless without the software to go with it!

good point!

Haman J.T.

I have been criticized for strapping on 3 extra magazines when I even go to walmart. To me it's better to have over 50 rounds than run out, Call me simple. I also don't like those Ranger sxt rounds, yea I know the religious Ranger Zealots will tell me they are the best round on earth, but in N.I.J. studies I saw they were not that good. I stick with Corbons for a factory round, or my own loads which pack slightly more punch. I don't shoot to stop wet telephone books, or Jello (ballistic gelatin) I shoot to stop vicious living things bent on my destruction. These things have far more water mass in their tissue than any telephone book I ever met, and more than any block of jello I ever shot. But I also have a backup cannon loaded with 1534 + FPS rounds that push those lovely 125 grain semi JHP's which still today in NIJ studies are hands down the most effective one shot man stoppers. I carry that 357 Magnum just in case the perp is uncooperative and won't lay down.
That reminds me of my incident.LEO's were amazed that I carried 2 extra mags,said I was armed for war.I was amazed at their amazement!When they asked why, I told them in case I need em! DUH!I've heard them say that several times!

Coded-Dude

magazines,,,,,sorry for being a terminology nazi,,,,,,
SNIP

Yeah, that was my bad. Thanks. I bought a 250 pack($99) for the range and shot every last one of them. However, Sportsman's only had two or three different personal defense rounds left on the shelf so I grabbed the last box of Golden Sabers. After I put about a thousand rounds or more into it and apply for my CC permit I am going to look into reloading my own, but that won't happen until spring/summer.

Last edited:

Bronson

golden sabre, gold dot, hornady TAP red or black box, winchester silver tip or ranger, federal hydra-shok, corbon and several others are great rounds.

If at all possible you should also test the performance of the rounds. PMC Starfires, Federal Hydra-shoks, and Corbon JHP all have a known reptuation for not expanding after passing through heavy clothing. I've personally watched Hornady TAP, Winchester Silvertips, and Golden Sabres fail to expand after passing through heavy clothing.

There is a guy on another board who does some backyard testing and when he started doing it everything he tested passed with flying colors. Then I suggested he start shooting through some heavy clothing into the water. Lo and behold many of the rounds testing started failing, and these were some big names in self defense ammo. It's not scientific and it's not definitive but his methonds are consistent from test to test and it's more testing than most people do.

Here's a link to the thread where he posts his results: http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/66-Ammo-Jug-Tests
ETA: There are several people posting in that thread. The guy with the best tests posts under the name NCflyfisher.

Bronson

Last edited: