• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is your weapon going to stop a gun fight?

Michigander

Great read, thank you for posting. There is something to be said for the difficult yet effective head shot.

I like to use bad guy targets to practice a vertical string of 3-5 shots starting from the abdomen and working up to the head, pretty much riding the recoil upwards, essentially just pointing the bullets in a line, and walking them to the head. I do this from a fast draw hip shooting stance right up close, while charging the targets, as well as while running side to side which is by far the hardest. Whether or not that type of practice would apply well to this or a similar situation, I consider myself lucky not to have to know from experience. But I've never heard a strategy that I feel would work better to practice.

2 other thoughts from a veteran I respect a lot who posts on another forum.

"When in doubt, empty the magazine"

also

"Don't stop shooting until you see brains"

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

Always have cover, you never know when you are in a gun fight with Super Man.

Great read, thank you for posting. There is something to be said for the difficult yet effective head shot.

I like to use bad guy targets to practice a vertical string of 3-5 shots starting from the abdomen and working up to the head, pretty much riding the recoil upwards, essentially just pointing the bullets in a line, and walking them to the head. I do this from a fast draw hip shooting stance right up close, while charging the targets, as well as while running side to side which is by far the hardest. Whether or not that type of practice would apply well to this or a similar situation, I consider myself lucky not to have to know from experience. But I've never heard a strategy that I feel would work better to practice.

2 other thoughts from a veteran I respect a lot who posts on another forum.

"When in doubt, empty the magazine"

also

"Don't stop shooting until you see brains"

cmdr_iceman71

I read the aforementioned story earlier this year, shortly after I began OCing, and after reading it, I was inspired to be far more cognizant of the type of personal defense ammo I carry as well as ensure I’m carrying a small arsenal’s worth around my waist.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
"He who has the most ammo, wins"
"He who runs out of ammo just lost"
"He who can't fight back, lost"
"If you have ammo and the bad guy doesn't, you're in control"

"I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it"

Bailenforcer

I have been criticized for strapping on 3 extra magazines when I even go to walmart. To me it's better to have over 50 rounds than run out, Call me simple. I also don't like those Ranger sxt rounds, yea I know the religious Ranger Zealots will tell me they are the best round on earth, but in N.I.J. studies I saw they were not that good. I stick with Corbons for a factory round, or my own loads which pack slightly more punch. I don't shoot to stop wet telephone books, or Jello (ballistic gelatin) I shoot to stop vicious living things bent on my destruction. These things have far more water mass in their tissue than any telephone book I ever met, and more than any block of jello I ever shot. But I also have a backup cannon loaded with 1534 + FPS rounds that push those lovely 125 grain semi JHP's which still today in NIJ studies are hands down the most effective one shot man stoppers. I carry that 357 Magnum just in case the perp is uncooperative and won't lay down.

"He who has the most ammo, wins"
"He who runs out of ammo just lost"
"He who can't fight back, lost"
"If you have ammo and the bad guy doesn't, you're in control"

"I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it"

Bailenforcer

I forgot the 4 to 5 HKS speed loaders (357 Magnum) that I also carry. Wow I carry over 82 rounds lol I never realized I carried that much. I always forget to count the backup weapons rounds.

I carry 36 rounds for my primary and 25 for my large bug... my small bug has another 15 rounds... this gives me a total of 76 rounds... 15 of which are .22 Mag... the rest are 9mm..

Coded-Dude

15 rounds for my .38 S&W - (Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 +P 130gr JHP / HKS Speedloader)

Ideally I want to carry:
32 rounds for my .45 S&W 1911 - (?)
However that would mean carrying 4 loaded clips on my belt since LOC is illegal here and I have yet to file for "loaded carry"(waiting on the 1911 before I try). I may end up only going with 24 rounds

I get the 1911 out of jail on Saturday and haven't made up my mind on a Self Defense round

[edit] i put 40...i meant 45 also this is from the article:

Be ready to beat him over the head with your empty gun, gouge his eyes out, or even thrash his throat with your patrol knife, if necessary.

Last edited:

Michigander

Ten out of ten OC'ing zombies agree!

In this case, it would be 10 out of 10 dead Viet Kong and Iraqi rebels. The empty the magazine saying was his dad's from vietnam, and the brain one was his. This attitude kept both of them alive as I understand it.

army74

I carry a 15rd and 17rd mags for my glock 19 and i have an additional mag i might carry in my pocket or jacket havent found a mag holder for that big mag yet

B

Bikenut

No, my weapon is not going to stop a gun fight. It, all by itself, can't do squat.

It is my brain and my thinking/processing abilities that will win, or lose, the day regardless of what weapon(s) I bring, how many of them I bring, how big/small they are, and how much/little ammo I brought for them

Entirely too often folks get lost in thinking the gun and it's accessories is the self defense weapon. It isn't. The most important self defense weapon is the thing between our ears..................

Last edited by a moderator:

autosurgeon

No, my weapon is not going to stop a gun fight. It, all by itself, can't do squat.

It is my brain and my thinking/processing abilities that will win, or lose, the day regardless of what weapon(s) I bring, how many of them I bring, how big/small they are, and how much/little ammo I brought for them

Entirely too often folks get lost in thinking the gun and it's accessories is the self defense weapon. It isn't. The most important self defense weapon is the thing between our ears..................

Yep the hardware is useless without the software to go with it!

stainless1911

Banned
or you could just use a
parakeet.jpg