• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Moved

Hardwater

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just moved to Nevada from Michigan. In Michigan it was illegal for me to OC in any place that has it's liquor license whether they sold beverages or not. I don't see anything pertaining to that in NV law. Does that mean I can OC say in a Wal-Mart that sells beer and wine?

I'm also a little confused as to the carrying of the weapon while I'm in a vehicle. From the jist of it I am assuming it means that the unless I have a ccw the weapon must be seperate from the ammo and unobtainable?? Because in the CCW portion of the law it states something to the effect that you can carry it anywhere in the vehicle, loaded as long as it is not concealed in a shirt or coat or in a pocket "Unless I have a CCW" Now to that means that goes for OC people to since they specifically outlined rules for CCW permit holders.

Also I'd like to practice in the desert somewhere, is there any "known" spots or is there a pamphlet on rules and regs? From what I've read it's basically anywhere that is not private property or stated No Shooting, the backdrop is not a pedestrian or traffic area,
and atleast 1000 feet from any dwelling. I'm a little new to all of this in Nevada and I certainly don't want to get into trouble, so any help to a noob would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOOOUUU!!!!! :lol:

john-in-reno

First off Welcome to Nevada
Second Forget everything you learned in Michigan

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just moved to Nevada from Michigan. In Michigan it was illegal for me to OC in any place that has it's liquor license whether they sold beverages or not. I don't see anything pertaining to that in NV law. Does that mean I can OC say in a Wal-Mart that sells beer and wine?

Yes you can go to Wal-Mart (they are OC Friendly) and get your beer and wine with your weapon loaded and one in the chamber, and don't forget to get some extra ammo while you are at it

I'm also a little confused as to the carrying of the weapon while I'm in a vehicle. From the jist of it I am assuming it means that the unless I have a ccw the weapon must be seperate from the ammo and unobtainable?? Because in the CCW portion of the law it states something to the effect that you can carry it anywhere in the vehicle, loaded as long as it is not concealed in a shirt or coat or in a pocket "Unless I have a CCW" Now to that means that goes for OC people to since they specifically outlined rules for CCW permit holders.

I dont have my CCW and I hop into my car, slap the seatbelt on start up the car and go!

As long as the police can see it if you have it on without a CCW you are ok, but if your coat or shirt covers it you can get into trouble, you could take it and put it in the glove box and leave it loaded and you would be ok also, Like I said forget what you were taught in Michigan

Also I'd like to practice in the desert somewhere, is there any "known" spots or is there a pamphlet on rules and regs? From what I've read it's basically anywhere that is not private property or stated No Shooting, the backdrop is not a pedestrian or traffic area,
and atleast 1000 feet from any dwelling. I'm a little new to all of this in Nevada and I certainly don't want to get into trouble, so any help to a noob would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOOOUUU!!!!! :lol:

Don't know if you are in Northern or Southern Nevada, but there are a few places here in the Reno area to go

also here is a link to the Nevada pamphlet
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79157-Open-Carry-Tri-Fold-Pamplet-with-Logo

AnakinsKid

You didn't say if you're in the north or south part of the state. If you're in the south, check out NevadaShooters.com. In the General Conversation, there's a stickied thread with a map I started of spots to shoot. Lots of people have added to it, and you can too, if you find a good spot.

45 ACP rocks

Welcome to more freedom, fellow Michigander! I grew up in Lapeer. You'll like it much better in NV, a place with a lot of climate instead of weather.

Nevada carrier

While driving, you can have the firearm in a holster on your hip with the seatbelt buckled without it being deemed concealed. a seatbelt or arm rest is an obstruction and does not conceal your firearm in the letter of Nevada law. if your clothing conceals the firearm, it is then concealed upon your person and you would need a CCW with your Make Model and Caliber listed on it to be legal.

A loaded and chambered firearm in your glove box, center console or under your seat is not "Concealed upon your person" even if it is out of view. If you like, I have a rig for my car that allows me to holster any of my firearms interchangeably directly to my center console... here is the link to the thread to show you how it's done:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...to-share-my-car-holster-rig&highlight=holster

You can frequent businesses that sell alcohol as well as those that serve it. Here's one other great point that makes Nevada a wonderfully free state. You can even consume alcohol while you are carrying. The BAC limit for carry is .10. The originally BAC limit in Nevada for driving was also .10, however Nevada would loose federal highway funding if they remained above the federal BAC limit of .08. therefore there BAC for driving was adjusted, but firearm carry was left at .10.

As for a place to practice your shooting skills, there are two very nice private facilities in southern nevada. One is Desert Sportsman Near Red Rock canyon, the other is in Boulder City; it's name escapes me. There is also a very nice public shooting park at the very north end of Las Vegas, the Clark County Shooting Park. the county charges $7 / day for Rifle Pistol, and $6 for a round of 25 clay pigeons at the shotgun center. there is an archery center as well. They also have the Guns 'n Grub Cafe with excellent food at very good prices. You need only watch a 4 min DVD to use the park ranges and the RSO's are great, knowledgeable and helpful people. Follow their instructions, ask for help and they will bend over backwards to do so.

There are indoor ranges all over the Las Vegas Vally, I suggest staying away from Las Vegas Gun Range, The Gun Store, and American Shooters. They are tourist traps and they charge tourist prices. For that Matter, Las Vegas Gun Range and The Gun store are often wrong in their interpretation of Nevada Law as it pertains to open carry and will pass off their opinions and preferences as if to be the Law. Las Vegas Gun Range charges MSRP on everything! The Gun Store has some good deals from time to time, and Nevada Shooters is hit or miss, but by far, some of the best deals and friendliest service come from New Frontier Armory (guido) or Native Nevadan (aka All Weapons).

I hope this helps you a lot, hopefully your hear in southern Nevada, but if not perhaps someone lurking for info will find this long winded post helpful

Hardwater

Thanks!!

First off I'd like to give a big thanks to you guys! I just started to open carry a few months before we left and thats when I found opencarry.org

I currently live in Henderson in the south. SInce I am new to OC it blows my mind that your allowed to OC in a bank or similar facility but that is because my brain has been poisoned with all the crap from TV and BS literature.

Are you allowed to OC say in a Mall like Galleria? I hate to ask so many questions but I'm by no mean a lawyer and after reading some of the statutes it seems like you need a degree.

Also what would be the laws regarding Lake Mead Recreation , Willow Beach or Lake Mead itself. I like to do alot of fishing and it looks like I'm gonna be doing some hiking to get to some spots that could pose a wildlife risk or just the occasional wierdo. All I read was that you needed a CCW to carry in Lake Mead Recreation Area, am I right?

Hardwater

One more thing

One more thing before I take the plunge here in Nevada that I wanted to ask about and probably the most important.

I am waiting on a replacement SS Card in the mail to officially change my drivers license. Once I do that I will register my pistol with the city. From what I've been reading I'm still allowed to OC the pistol even in Nevada with a valid drivers license and the firearm is registered to me. Am I reading that right? I figure why would they not allow you if you have your purchase permit with you showing that you are the registered owner and you are a law obiding citizen. THanks for the help

Nevada carrier

you have 60 days to register your firearms. Also, the state is on the war path about people not registering their cars, and getting their Nevada D/L within 30 days of moving, fines are steep. I'm not telling you what to do, but if you happen to be over the 30 day time frame, keep your mouth shut to police if questioned about where you live, and how long you have lived here. They have the burden of proof to establish that you have violated the 30 day time limit, so my recommendation is not to hang yourself by waiving your fifth amendment right to remain silent. A SS card in one of many acceptable documents that can be used to verify your identity when applying for your Nevada D/L. Call them to see if you can satisfy the other documents that you may be able to furnish.

Lake Mead recreation area is okay, but keep in mind there is private property out there and a private property owner can ask you to disarm or leave. Same goes for any privately owned business... Malls are hit and miss, sometimes you can OC and no one notices or cares, other times they will come after you like rabid dogs. Town Square comes to mind. I've gone there on occasion and never been bothered, but one of our meetups there resulted in security giving us the no-go on open carry.

Open carry on private property is not illegal, even if they have a sign, but if you refuse to leave when asked, you can be cited for trespassing.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
To register an out-of-state vehicle, it has to be inspected (VIN verification). This cannot be done if you are in the process of moving and the vehicle is still in your home state. If you blow the 30-day limit because you haven't brought the vehicle into Nevada yet, they will usually waive any penalties.

In my case, I was commuting by air between three states, and had cars in the other states (rather than using rentals).

This will only work if you have multiple vehicles, and got your "daily driver" registered in time.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
And there is no requirement under the law to carry identification while carrying openly. If carrying concealed you must have permit/ID, but not while carrying openly.

Hardwater

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification.

Our car is already registered for Nevada with plates, under my wife. I"m just waiting for them to send my SS Card so I can go get my license, because my current valid drivers license, tax returns, birth certificate and some other docs aren't good enough lol.

Also is there any information on how to respond when approached by Metro or just any other hooligan when questioned about my Open Carry?

You guys have really helped a fish out of water, I would also like to know how I can maybe get involved in the open carry scene or shooting clubs in southern Nevada . THanks alot

Nevada carrier

Also is there any information on how to respond when approached by Metro or just any other hooligan when questioned about my Open Carry?

Don't talk to cops, if they seem to be approaching you just for "conversation," I recommend becoming late for something and polity excusing yourself. You just don't know what their motivation for conversation is.

I other citizens ask you questions, answer them in a manner that furthers the cause. Often when this happens to me, I treat them as if they could potentially be another open carrier just looking for a reason to start carrying. Many times, they've wanted to carry, but haven't gotten the courage yet to do so. It's important to be able to answer just about any question they answer, sometimes saying "I don't know." is not good for the cause, so be as informed as you can be.

If you are questioned by someone who seems to be hostile to the presence of an armed law abiding citizen, DO NOT ARGUE WITH THEM unless they agree to have a sane and civil conversation. They could be trying to bait you into doing something that can be twisted into a criminal charge. Carry a voice recorder with you. Some people know that you haven't broken the law, and will attempt to get you into a shouting match or make some kind of "threatening" gesture so they can call the police and get you for something else.

wrightme

Don't talk to cops, if they seem to be approaching you just for "conversation," I recommend becoming late for something and polity excusing yourself. You just don't know what their motivation for conversation is.

I other citizens ask you questions, answer them in a manner that furthers the cause. Often when this happens to me, I treat them as if they could potentially be another open carrier just looking for a reason to start carrying. Many times, they've wanted to carry, but haven't gotten the courage yet to do so. It's important to be able to answer just about any question they answer, sometimes saying "I don't know." is not good for the cause, so be as informed as you can be.

If you are questioned by someone who seems to be hostile to the presence of an armed law abiding citizen, DO NOT ARGUE WITH THEM unless they agree to have a sane and civil conversation. They could be trying to bait you into doing something that can be twisted into a criminal charge. Carry a voice recorder with you. Some people know that you haven't broken the law, and will attempt to get you into a shouting match or make some kind of "threatening" gesture so they can call the police and get you for something else.

But be wary of how you use it. Nevada is a quasi-one-party-consent state? But the statute is a bit wishy-washy. I have seen a court case referenced, if someone knows it off the top of?

Nevada carrier

But be wary of how you use it. Nevada is a quasi-one-party-consent state? But the statute is a bit wishy-washy. I have seen a court case referenced, if someone knows it off the top of?

NRS 200.650 Unauthorized, surreptitious intrusion of privacy by listening device prohibited. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 179.410 to 179.515, inclusive, and 704.195, a person shall not intrude upon the privacy of other persons by surreptitiously listening to, monitoring or recording, or attempting to listen to, monitor or record, by means of any mechanical, electronic or other listening device, any private conversation engaged in by the other persons, or disclose the existence, content, substance, purport, effect or meaning of any conversation so listened to, monitored or recorded, unless authorized to do so by one of the persons engaging in the conversation.
(Added to NRS by 1957, 335; A 1973, 1749; 1989, 660)

As I read it, recording a conversation is legal so long as I (one of the persons) am a party to the conversation.

teemgreen99

wait what!?

ok yes im from california and i open carry as best and as much as i can here but did i read that correctly? you can consume alcohol in nevada while carrying? i dont think arizona even allows that....?

Last edited: