• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weird experience in platte walmart (Co springs)

Cofi

Was walking with my wife and baby in walmart the other night while i was OC we were cruising down one of the aisles when i felt someone too close behind us i kinda stopped and turned and the guy almost bumped into me he said something to the effect of i like your second amendment statement and scurried off but i really felt for a split second he was going to try to grab for my gun from behind. so now its has me thinking maybe i need a locking holster for oc instead of the one that came with my xd what do you guys think? i just dont want to fumble with a stupid lock during a gunfight but at the same time i dont want someone snatching my gun and killing me and my family...

btw that walmart is the pits i almost never go there but i always carry when i do because its so ghetto

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
The holster that comes with the XDs is WEAK. That is, it does not protect the gun well, and arguably has worse retention than similarly designed leather holster. Get a retention holster. When I had XDs (before the canoe accident) I carried them in a Serpa CQC. Removing the firearm became second nature with minimal practice; I never felt like getting my gun out fast enough would be my main concern in a bad situation.
+1 for you SA, though.

strife1013

That could have turned into a very bad experience with your wife and baby there. Glad no one was injured. Yea human stupidity never ceases to amaze me, I am a little worried when I open carry that someone might try and grab it from behind. I just know if someone does their going to get a spinning elbow to the face.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
That's kinda scary.

I have an XD 40 and I use the Serpa CQC holster also, this one:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

It's very sturdy, it took some practice to remember to hit the button to pull it out.

+1 on the sturdiness. I've owned numerous Blackhawk! products, all well made and most made in the USA. I wore my CQCs daily while hunting, fishing, and getting in and out of vehicles, for almost two years. They still look and function like they just came out of the box. Well worth the money for the product and piece of mind.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I friend of mine recently purchase a SIG p250 that came with a ITAC. I got to fondle it at length and compare it to my Serpa CQC. They're both good, but IMHO the Serpas have better ergonomics and carry more comfortably.

av8tr1

I carry the serpa, both the thigh rig and the belt holster for my 9mm and 45. I can't say enough good things about them. Had them for roughly 5 years now and never had an issue with them. The thigh rig gets some occasional stares but I rarely use it in town.

MK

Carry a gun empty of ammunition in your holster and carry your loaded one concealed.

(I know this isn't an option for everywhere as laws on carrying differ)

Many of us carry openly because we want the firearm to be visible. That is the point of open carry for many who practice this method. Am I wrong with that statement?

Some of us carry openly because its the only way the law allows us to carry where we are at. For people who wish to open carry but are also allowed to conceal carry and have a worry that one or more assailants may take possession of their visible loaded firearm if surprised, this could be an option worth considering.

I think the idea of a single peson jumping a visibly armed person in an attempt to wrestle their handgun away is an idiotic and possibly insane idea. However, there are plenty of idiotic to insane people in our country as well. People aren't always predictable.

DinFreemont

I friend of mine recently purchase a SIG p250 that came with a ITAC. I got to fondle it at length and compare it to my Serpa CQC. They're both good, but IMHO the Serpas have better ergonomics and carry more comfortably.

I chose the Itac (marketed under several names) I liked the round button with the ridges inside the button cover. I had to make modifications for my particular pistol.

I also liked the paddle so I got two, with one sporting the duty belt attachment, I use a standard nylon duty belt for OC most of the time.

I like the holster both ways, it works well and the retention is a great feature.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Carry a gun empty of ammunition in your holster and carry your loaded one concealed.

Absolutely not. I understand the reasoning: allow the perp to take the empty firearm then draw your good one. However, I find this falls squarely in the penny-wise, pound-foolish category for a vareity of reasons:

1. A prosecutor (or in a civil suit the other attorney) would have a field day with this "bait and blast" approach.

2. I can draw and fire in less than a second with my OC weapon. It's more like one and a half to upwards of five seconds with my various forms of concealment.

3. A proper retention holster will thwart most gun grabs, and proper retention training will all you to move your firearm side out of the gun-grabber's reach before drawing and firing.

4. I'd rather keep the "eyes in the back of my head" well attuned to trouble, rather than lapse into a false sense of security thinking, "It's ok, as it's not loaded and I'll be relying on my back-up gun.

Many of us carry openly because we want the firearm to be visible. That is the point of open carry for many who practice this method. Am I wrong with that statement?

If that were the only reason we OC'd, you would not be wrong. It's not the only reason I OC, however, and even if it were, points 1, 3, and 4 above prevail.

Some of us carry openly because its the only way the law allows us to carry where we are at.

Then they should OC, and since CC isn't an option, they better dang well OC loaded! (except where prohibited by idiotic law i.e. California).

For people who wish to open carry but are also allowed to conceal carry and have a worry that one or more assailants may take possession of their visible loaded firearm if surprised...

They key here is: Do not be surprised! Keep your radar on i.e. both eyes and ears. Even while shopping at Wal-Mart, every time I look to the shelves on the right or left, I'm also stealing a blance behind me in the isle.

I think the idea of a single peson jumping a visibly armed person in an attempt to wrestle their handgun away is an idiotic and possibly insane idea.

I'd call that fairly desparate, if not suicidal.

However, there are plenty of idiotic to insane people in our country as well. People aren't always predictable.

No, they're not! It pays to be vigilant, regardless of your circumstances.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Back to the Itac vs Serpa

It sounds like both are good, and perhaps the variances are more personal in nature.

Anyone know of a store here in the Springs where both would be available for a hands-on look?

Gunslinger

It sounds like both are good, and perhaps the variances are more personal in nature.

Anyone know of a store here in the Springs where both would be available for a hands-on look?

Specialty Sports has the largest holster selection, by far. If they don't have them, I doubt anyone will.

Cofi

Got my blackhawk serpa holster on Tuesday it's great fit and finish couldn't be better in fact it fits my xd better then the holster it came with.....I'm not sold on the button to unlock the gun I had to draw under stress last night(skunk vs dog) and I fumbled the first time that could be disasterious in a real situation where my life was depending on that gun coming out.... I'll have to practice drawing to get my muscle memory up

On a side note peroxide and baking soda get the skunk smell off dogs fast :)

Last edited: