• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weird experience in platte walmart (Co springs)

ooghost1oo

4. I'd rather keep the "eyes in the back of my head" well attuned to trouble, rather than lapse into a false sense of security thinking, "It's ok, as it's not loaded and I'll be relying on my back-up gun.

They key here is: Do not be surprised! Keep your radar on i.e. both eyes and ears. Even while shopping at Wal-Mart, every time I look to the shelves on the right or left, I'm also stealing a blance behind me in the isle.

Yeah--that's important. To be anything more than walking meat, you should be in Condition Yellow all of the time outside of your home anyway. That means always paying attention to people and situations around you. Always being mindful of your gun. It might seem paranoid to someone not used to OC'ing, but this has concept has been a lot more prevalent than OC'ing, even WITHOUT OC'ing. Just in daily life, whether OC'ing, CC'ing, or unarmed.

If you're in Condition Yellow when you're supposed to be, then OC'ing shouldn't make any difference in your perception, because you're already there. And some weird guy with a distorted sense of reality sneaking up on you should never be an issue.

BTW, this has quickly become a discussion on holsters.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
Got my blackhawk serpa holster on Tuesday it's great fit and finish couldn't be better in fact it fits my xd better then the holster it came with.....I'm not sold on the button to unlock the gun I had to draw under stress last night(skunk vs dog) and I fumbled the first time that could be disasterious in a real situation where my life was depending on that gun coming out.... I'll have to practice drawing to get my muscle memory up

On a side note peroxide and baking soda get the skunk smell off dogs fast :)

It just takes practice. My hunch is that most Serpa owners, myself included, would say it becomes second nature after a short period of time.

since9

Campaign Veteran
BTW, this has quickly become a discussion on holsters.

Yeah - what's up with that?

Back to the topic at hand, when one is mentally alert of their surroundings, they appear quite differently to criminals looking to see who they're going to prey upon. They don't appear weak, which is additional deterrence, whether the BG notices you're carrying or not.

OldCurlyWolf

Yeah - what's up with that?

Back to the topic at hand, when one is mentally alert of their surroundings, they appear quite differently to criminals looking to see who they're going to prey upon. They don't appear weak, which is additional deterrence, whether the BG notices you're carrying or not.

Years ago I used to go to DT Houston to deal with County government on a regular basis.

DT Houston has a certain type of occupant of it sidewalks that likes to consume certain inexpensive alcoholic beverages and harass pedestrians of the working class for money or make rather nasty remarks to a subset thereof.

After the first couple of times I went I began to contemplate on a fact that I had noticed. When I walked down the sidewalk and approached a group of these "persons" they would part like Moses parting the Sea and let me pass without interference.

I then deduced that this was for approximately 2 reasons, one of which was prime.

1. size: I am 6'2" and 200+ (at that time a low body fat number and a lot of muscle) But this was secondary.

2. Attitude: I was on Yellow running to Orange and my attitude was: IF you mess with me I am going to HURT you. If you project the ATTITUDE most people with just a modicum of sense will leave you alone.

Of course a couple of items I carried to help me project my attitude to their person did not hurt. But they didn't know about those items.

:cool:

rushcreek2

Years ago I used to go to DT Houston to deal with County government on a regular basis.

......... When I walked down the sidewalk and approached a group of these "persons" they would part like Moses parting the Sea and let me pass without interference......

..........................2. Attitude: I was on Yellow running to Orange and my attitude was: IF you mess with me I am going to HURT you. If you project the ATTITUDE most people with just a modicum of sense will leave you alone. I come equiped with a 6-2/200lb + frame myself - but unfornately many do not.

I have visited the Platte Walmart a few times - and immediately took it up a knotch to "orange". A lot of mischief has transpired at that location. I lived in the "Sandcreek" area for 4 years before moving to the Stetson Hills area, and we shopped at the Powers Walmart which is a much more pleasant environment.

THE SURVIVAL ATTITUDE (with extreme prejudice aforethought) and a PLAN backing it up is KEY to distinguishing one's self from the "flock" to be "fleeced". It is my INTENT whenever venturing out into the public square to project an air, or attitude if you prefer, pitched in such a manner that it tends to convey the perception that I am a respectful, law-abiding senior citizen, engaged in lawful business, or social intercourse.

I will not interfere with another person's respectful, lawful commerce, or social intercourse - BUT if molested, menaced, manipulated, or man-handled in any way by opportunistic "persons" who may be dismissive of my vitality or my intent - the MOM inside of me comes out ( mean old man).

I rely upon my own internal "safety mechanisms", and because I am presently spending some time in Texas, I carry my Glock 23 in a snug kydex IWB holster at 2 o'clock. It may occassionally "peek out" in shopping center parking lots, or anytime yellow begins to take on an orange hue. Over the years I have developed a "locked-on" expression that I suspect tends to convey my propensity to bypass chit-chat, and proceed directly to "damage control". Call me "Crusty" if you like, but it is my hope that I look like I would be more trouble than I could possibly be worth.

I consider it my personal "calling" - if you will - to encourage better understanding, and increased respect for the "elderly" in our society. I strongly suspect that OldCurleyWolf can relate to that perspective.

since9

Campaign Veteran
2. Attitude: I was on Yellow running to Orange and my attitude was: IF you mess with me I am going to HURT you. If you project the ATTITUDE most people with just a modicum of sense will leave you alone. I come equiped with a 6-2/200lb + frame myself - but unfornately many do not.

I agree, and I learned it from a good friend and former sheriff's deputy. He was really good at it! It's worked for me on a couple of occasions.