• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please don't bump up spam threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye95

Any bump, even one that flags the spam, increases the chance that the spam link is clicked, posing a danger to the clicker's computer and passing along our URL to those who would spam us more.

The report button provides a discreet way of flagging spam in a way that helps get it deleted without helping the spammer find victims.

JMO. Handle it how you choose.

HeroHog

Any bump, even one that flags the spam, increases the chance that the spam link is clicked, posing a danger to the clicker's computer and passing along our URL to those who would spam us more.

The report button provides a discreet way of flagging spam in a way that helps get it deleted without helping the spammer find victims.

Simply hitting the "Report Post" is what I did/meant. I made no actual post in the thread.

eye95

Simply hitting the "Report Post" is what I did/meant. I made no actual post in the thread.

Sorry. I misunderstood you. Someone had bumped the thread with a post that identified it as spam. I mistakenly assumed that you were saying that that had been you. Sorry.

LV XD9

I don't know - in this day and age, anyone stupid enough to click on what is clearly a SPAM link deserves what they get, imo. If that means the moron in question has to format their hard drive and start over (or pay someone to do it for them,) so be it.

eye95 said:

I generally agree with what you're saying, but am really bothered by the fact that you feel it necessary to speak to the other posters of this forum as if we're all your children. In fact, the very existence of this thread annoys me enough that I'll probably bump a SPAM thread just to irritate you (and I have a feeling I won't be the only one to do so.) I tend to do that sort of thing when someone with absolutely no authority over me tries to tell me what (or what not) to do.

Just in case you need a reminder: You're not a mod. You have no say over what anyone else does here.

Last edited:

Kirbinator

Eye95... are you racist? Do you harbor an irrational fear, loathing and hatred for luncheon meat? Does the odd fatty sheen creep you out? Does the metallic packaging appear to be too close to the perfect meld of form and function? Do the colors yellow and blue cause you to break out into fits of hives?

Last edited:

eye95

I don't know - in this day and age, anyone stupid enough to click on what is clearly a SPAM link deserves what they get, imo. If that means the moron in question has to format their hard drive and start over (or pay someone to do it for them,) so be it.

I generally agree with what you're saying, but am really bothered by the fact that you feel it necessary to speak to the other posters of this forum as if we're all your children. In fact, the very existence of this thread annoys me enough that I'll probably bump a SPAM thread just to irritate you (and I have a feeling I won't be the only one to do so.) I tend to do that sort of thing when someone with absolutely no authority over me tries to tell me what (or what not) to do.

Just in case you need a reminder: You're not a mod. You have no say over what anyone else does here.

1. You will notice that I am trying very hard to make this a polite request, not a demand.

2. I have provided reasoning, including the fact that some spam links track back to this site, increasing the probability of more spam in the future when the links are clicked as the site is identified as a fertile one.

3. I have spoken like an adult to adults. If you feel like a child when adult advice is given, that is your inference, not my implication.

4. I have only bumped the thread when someone has bumped a spam thread as a reminder.

5. I know I am not a mod. But, I won't assume that you are speaking to me like a child for having said so. I will assume you were speaking as an adult to an adult.

Moving on.

eye95

Eye95... are you racist? Do you harbor an irrational fear, loathing and hatred for luncheon meat? Does the odd fatty sheen creep you out? Does the metallic packaging appear to be too close to the perfect meld of form and function? Do the colors yellow and blue cause you to break out into fits of hives?

Nah. Not a racist. A meatist. I don't like the way spam makes a shpuckling sound when it is bumped, nor the way it shimmies. *shudder*

LV XD9

1. You will notice that I am trying very hard to make this a polite request, not a demand.

Irrelevant, as it's not your place to make any such request (and no one's going to pay attention to any "demand" you may try to make) in the first place. This is not your site. If the admins or mods want us to do something, they will say so. If a rule is broken, the admins or mods will handle it. You are neither and really need to step back and remember your "place." You're just another poster. It's not your place to chastise others or dictate how SPAM threads are handled.
eye95 said:
Moving on.
Bully for you.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all. Thump, thump.

Seriously, posts/threads like this are a lot like a knife fight. Only things that are guaranteed is that it will get unpleasant and that everybody involved will get cut.

palerider116

If you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all. Thump, thump.

Seriously, posts/threads like this are a lot like a knife fight. Only things that are guaranteed is that it will get unpleasant and that everybody involved will get cut.

Just remember the 21 feet rule. If you feel the urge to engage in a flame war, get 21 feet away from your keyboard immediately.

eye95

Since some spam is afoot, this could use a bump.

On edit: Even bumping to announce that the thread has been reported keeps the thread high on the index, increases clicks, opens members to possible malware, and notifies spammers that this site is fertile ground for their efforts. Please just report the threads. It is counter-productive to announce that you have done so.

Last edited:

eye95

Not bumping spam threads is even more advisable when the thread is ten days old, has already not been responded to, and has fallen way down the index!:exclaim:!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not bumping spam threads is even more advisable when the thread is ten days old, has already not been responded to, and has fallen way down the index!:exclaim:!

Then why'd you bump this idiotic, pointless, and completely unnecessary thread again? :banghead:

It's really and anti-spam thread.

Besides which, you can always take it off your "watched threads" list.

eye95

It's really and anti-spam thread.

Besides which, you can always take it off your "watched threads" list.

I normally would not have seen his reply. He kinda proves one more time why I'd rather not read his stuff. However, since you quoted it, I'll answer his question.

Two main reasons: Bumping spam threads increases the chance that some poor soul will click a link that could prove detrimental to his computer. And some of these links track the site from which they were accessed, recording the fact that the site was fertile ground, putting on a list to receive more spam.

Thanks for asking the question. As a result, more folks will read this thread. Some of them might even take the suggestion.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I was just contacted by a widow in a small African country. She has inherited millions from her dead husband, but the bank will not release the funds until certain charges are paid.
All she wants to do is borrow 10k for the bank fees, and she will pay me a million dollars. What a sucker! doesn't she know that pretty much any bank would loan her the money at a much lower interest rate? I am going to hurry send her the money before she figures that out.
Anyone want to go in with me on this?
I am going to use the money to buy some lovely swampland in Florida.

Oh, so you are seeking leverage? I think this is the precise mechanism upon which the entire fractional reserve banking system is built, the King Pin of which is of course the Federal Reserve.

My, how quickly we abandon principles when an opportunity to make money arises.

Tsk, tsk. :p:)

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think this is the precise mechanism upon which the entire fractional reserve banking system is built, the King Pin of which is of course the Federal Reserve.

I prefer to call them the Fictional Reserve Banking System, and the Federal Reverb, as the sound an empty storage vault makes when the door is slammed shut for the last time.

OC for ME

Why does everyone seem to have a problem with Spam? It made for some good sandwiches back in the day....hell, I keep a case down in the basement as part of my disaster food kits along with 20 lbs of fruit cake. I think the shelf life is....what, 100 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.