• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry while hunting

brent1865

Ok, I am kind of new to both Open Carry and Louisiana. I was told by a friend that you were not allowed to carry a sidearm while hunting in the state of Louisiana. I have always carried a sidearm in Ky when i lived and hunted there. I found it more reassuing against close encounters with coyotes or bear than my shotgun or bolt action rifle because if the different loads that would be in the gun. Any insight before I ventured out hunting here would be appreciated. Thanks

rugersr9c

Louisiana also issued regulations that said that muzzleloader and bow hunters can only carry .22-caliber pistols loaded with "ratshot" for protection against poisonous snakes. Ratshot consists of No.12 shot in a plastic cap inside a .22 rimfire cartridge. Larger-caliber personal-defense handguns may not be carried while hunting.

I dont know if this helps or not.

georg jetson

Welcome to La.

Here in La., the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with controlling the wildlife of the state.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=104845

However, the Dept of W & F has NOT been given authority to regulate arms on property not controlled by the Department. Here is a SC case on point... http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...q=firearm+conceal+person&hl=en&as_sdt=8000004

In addition, though the legislature had initially, UNLAWFULLY assumed IT had the power to regulate Art 1 Sec 11 of the La. Const., on Dept of W & F property, it somewhat corrected itself this year by a bill introduced by Sen. Hebert that went into affect this past August... see here... http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=104932

Here's a link to the Dept's regulations. NOTE - the regulations concerning firearms have not been updated to reflect the changes made in the 2010 legislative session.
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/regulations

NRAMARINE

I've been hunting here since I was 10. Particularly the Honey Island wma, every wlf officer I know will tell you do not go into that swamp without a sidearm. The reason is feral carniverous hogs. Sooner or later you will get treed by one ( or 5) and your long gun will probably be on the ground. Personally I carry a Taurus Judge loaded with #4 and 000 buck as a trail gun. It is only unlawful to posess a handgun ( larger than a .22 loaded with #12) while hunting with a bow during BOW ONLY season. Handgun hunting is also legal in La. during the MODERN FIREARMS season. Ergo posession ( oc) is legal unless bowhunting during bow only season. I don't bowhunt, so it's not an issue for me. Different wma's have different regulations, however it is legal to posess a handgun during open modern firearms seasons. Outside of wma's MODERN FIREARMS means just that.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/...742-hunting-regulations/Hunting_Reg_Final.pdf

see page 8 and 23. HAPPY HUNTING!

Last edited:

NRAMARINE

LOL! That's true about the hog(s). I'm usually too busy trying to get away to do a head count, but if you hear that squeal, get verticle fast.

Slidell Jim

The big deer?

I haven't seen one the past two times I hunted. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. This is how I felt after Thanksgiving weekend.

Attachments

• deer up tree.jpg
    deer up tree.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

NRAMARINE

LMAO!!!!! That's the best one I've seen yet. I haven't seen any bucks yet either. Had one grunt at me this morning but I never saw him, did get a decent hog on Thanksgiving though. He's gonna be the Christmas dinner guest of honor.

Slidell Jim

got my deer last weekend

I stayed 2 nights at my camp in south Miss. On Friday afternoon, right after I got there, I let 5 does walk. Then Saturday morning and evening, I saw nothing and was very bummed out. I might have let the only deer in 5 miles walk, because it was the first hour I was up there. Then late Sunday morning, between 8-9am, had the same group of does come out on the same location. I let them mill around for about 20 minutes before I decided the "big one" wasn't going to show me his rack. I picked the largest doe of the group and took her. I got most of the meat made into sausage here in Slidell on Monday, and last night we made "chicken fried" deer back strap, Ya-Hoooo! Makes my mouth water just typing about it today.

NRAMARINE

I stayed 2 nights at my camp in south Miss. On Friday afternoon, right after I got there, I let 5 does walk. Then Saturday morning and evening, I saw nothing and was very bummed out. I might have let the only deer in 5 miles walk, because it was the first hour I was up there. Then late Sunday morning, between 8-9am, had the same group of does come out on the same location. I let them mill around for about 20 minutes before I decided the "big one" wasn't going to show me his rack. I picked the largest doe of the group and took her. I got most of the meat made into sausage here in Slidell on Monday, and last night we made "chicken fried" deer back strap, Ya-Hoooo! Makes my mouth water just typing about it today.

MMMMMMMMMMMM................backstrap.

Wolfgang1952

Since I don’t Bow Hunt and only hunt on private or my own land I carry what I want to. I us a FAL / L1A1 to deer hunt with and carry my 1911 in a leg holster.

The wife got this one. A nice 8 point was chasing a Doe around 3am November 21 2010 on Hwy 10 just East of Roseland La. She was driving an Meet Wagon on a call. Dodged the Doe and got the Buck. She call me around 0345am saying you go sit in your stand all day don’t see anything and I get one in the Ambulance. Everyone wanted it, the wife said they killed they wear keeping it. They put it on the gurney and in the back of the Ambulance it went. When she got home around 0545 we started cleaning it. I showed her what do, and she did most of it.

DSC00005A.jpg

Last edited:

KBCraig

They put it on the gurney and in the back of the Ambulance it went. When she got home around 0545 we started cleaning it.

LOL!

I killed one in SW Arkansas while driving Pepsi truck one time, but it was about 0645, and I had at least 10 hours of summer heat to go before I was done. I didn't figure it would keep so well hanging in a bay of my truck, so I left him in the ditch. If it had been the end of my day, I sure would have iced him down and took him home. Especially since the company mechanic tried to claim I wrecked the truck, even though there was deer hair, blood, and brains on the fender and grill. (Same guy tried to blame me for over-revving a brand-new engine and blowing it up, even though we had rev limiters and speed governors. Nope, he just didn't know what he was doing.)

That looks like a pretty big thick buck for LA. Did you get a weight on him?