Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Illegal' Guns at Tysons?

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

'Illegal' Guns at Tysons?

Channel 7 News just ran a piece on shoplifters and undercover police at Tyson's Center Mall ... and in the final seconds they mentioned that the undercover cops had also made several arrests for people carrying 'illegal' guns -- no other explanation. Even if Tyson's was posted -- and I don't think it is -- how would carrying be an arrestable offense? Not to confuse this with concealed carry without a permit -- if it was concealed the officer would not have seen it, so it most likely had to be open carry.... I'll ping the Ch. 7 website to see if they can expand on the news report.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Rather than "people carrying 'illegal' guns ", it was probably "people carrying guns illegally"....

my guess is that they were arrested for another offense and the guns were found during the search incident to arrest.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Rather than "people carrying 'illegal' guns ", it was probably "people carrying guns illegally"....

my guess is that they were arrested for another offense and the guns were found during the search incident to arrest.
    Actually, I think I heard it correctly, one of the reasons why it caught my attention. You may be right about the gun being found upon arrest for shoplifting.

+1

The only thing Tyosns corner can do is ask you to leave, and if you refuse, charge you with trespass.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

My best guess at an explanation would be this:

If the police made arrests for shoplifting, they might have nabbed one or two wanna-be thugs who were illegally carrying firearms, be it as convicted felons and/or without permits.

What ever the case may be, this is just another example of very poor reporting.

There's accidentally poor, there's incompetently poor and then there's intentionally poor. Hard to say which it is here, but the simple fact is that the more people are indoctrinated with the idea that "guns are illegal", the happier the anti-gun media seems to be.

TFred

Theres a differenecs between 'people carrying illegal guns' meaning sawed off shotgun, full automatic, etc...

People carrying guns illegally is like no permit to CC.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 12-09-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Theres a differenecs between 'people carrying illegal guns' meaning sawed off shotgun, full automatic, etc...

huh?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

And even then, a short barreled shotgun or machinegun is not an illegal firearm, it's just illegal to possess or transfer without papers. LE/Gov't can possess them legally, so it's not the gun that's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    And even then, a short barreled shotgun or machinegun is not an illegal firearm, it's just illegal to possess or transfer without papers. LE/Gov't can possess them legally, so it's not the gun that's illegal.
    Thats true. I said it wrong...
    Well wait, I thought a CHP was for ONLY a handgun not shotguns/rifles in your pants... even if you have proper legal paper work. its a H for handgun only?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 12-09-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Those "illegal guns" were most likely perfectly legal firearms, but in the hands (or more likely, pockets) of people who possessed them, or were carrying them in an illegal manner...

BTW, Tysons IS posted, but not clearly. They do not have the highly visible "circle slash gunbusters" type signage. They have "rules of conduct" posted, and way down at the bottom, in tiny 12 pt type there is a line prohibiting guns, knives, or any sort of weapons.

Tysons is posted, but not in an obvious or clearly visible manner--which is becoming a disturbing trend with malls all over the country. You have to first realize that those "Code of Conduct" signs are about prohibiting something we all do, and then take the time to read it...

It's like these signs are designed to be ignored (they are not prominently placed, they are not eye-catching, and they use tiny type on low-contrast backgrounds, so they are easy to miss and difficult to read.). They are designed in a manner that does not make you want to pay attention to them, almost like they are hoping you'll ignore them, and then they can "catch" you carrying against their policies...

This isn't just "bad graphic design", folks. These signs are symptomatic of the insideous, duplicitous, and deceitful tactics that the anti-gun British and French multinationals who own most of the malls in the US are willing to go to to mess with us...

Boycott malls that are "posted"...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 12-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

email sent

I sent Gail an email:
    - - -
    Hi.. when you talked about the shoplifting case at Tysons.. you ended with.. "Police arrested to people with Illegal guns in the mall too". Can you tell me more about that? Guns are legal in VA. So was it just that people were carrying guns or that the police arrested shoplifters that HAD guns or what? Thanks in advance. Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Northern Virginia?

Could be "Illegals carrying guns."

Thats true. I said it wrong...
    Well wait, I thought a CHP was for ONLY a handgun not shotguns/rifles in your pants... even if you have proper legal paper work. its a H for handgun only?
    It is, but you can OC firearms other than handguns, no permit needed (unless you're in a county that regulates long gun or "assault firearm" carry, then a CHP is needed for exemption. Even then, carrying a shotgun in your pants concealed is the illegal part, not the gun itself.
    Last edited by nova; 12-10-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    The only thing Tysons corner can do is ask you to leave, and if you refuse, charge you with trespass.
    Which still is not a firearms violation last I checked.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I caught and corrected one pro gun lady who referred to "illegal guns". It makes it sound as though the guns themselves are capable of doing something wrong. Her confusion is likely the result of a deliberate manipulation of words by anti-gun marketers who incrementally want to change language around specifically to slowly change the perception of what a gun is capable of regardless of owner.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Which still is not a firearms violation last I checked.
    No it's not, but it's also something I don't want placed on my flawless record given the level of security clearance(s) I hold for employment.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I sent Gail an email:
    - - -
    Hi.. when you talked about the shoplifting case at Tysons.. you ended with.. "Police arrested to people with Illegal guns in the mall too". Can you tell me more about that? Guns are legal in VA. So was it just that people were carrying guns or that the police arrested shoplifters that HAD guns or what? Thanks in advance. Ed
    Her answer:
    They were convicted felons from NY that had guns. Thanks for writing!
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Her answer:

ProShooter wins the prize!

TFred

Her answer:

Under her editorial policies, then, a drunk driver was driving an "illegal car"...

When did they stop teaching grammar and composition in "journalism school"?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I sent Gail an email:
    - - -
    Her answer:
    Same old story -Now if Bloomberg would only keep HIS criminals out of our state. We're always having to clean up after him.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Her answer:
    Did you happen to ask her to make a correction to the story to clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    Did you happen to ask her to make a correction to the story to clarify?
    I did not. That it would not be as exciting as it sounded.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

When did they stop teaching grammar and composition in "journalism school"?
    When they stopped teaching journalism and started teaching sensationalism. The last journalist was Walter Cronkite. Every reporter since then has been a 'Sensationalist' only reporting events (not facts, not 'truth') that will get played on TV (or CNN or...) You never hear the real news...like the Soldier that DIDN'T kill someone in Iraq, or the teacher that taught the students a lesson today, or the driver on the beltway that wasn't texting while driving or.... well, you get the idea.
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

then what would he have to complain about?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Same old story -Now if Bloomberg would only keep HIS criminals out of our state. We're always having to clean up after him.
    He took a lesson from Germany in the mid-30's. to unite a country, you need a common cause..an enemy of the people.

Look around folks, according to Bloomburg and his anti-2A sheeple, WE are the enemy.
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast