• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Illegal' Guns at Tysons?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Channel 7 News just ran a piece on shoplifters and undercover police at Tyson's Center Mall ... and in the final seconds they mentioned that the undercover cops had also made several arrests for people carrying 'illegal' guns -- no other explanation. Even if Tyson's was posted -- and I don't think it is -- how would carrying be an arrestable offense? Not to confuse this with concealed carry without a permit -- if it was concealed the officer would not have seen it, so it most likely had to be open carry.... I'll ping the Ch. 7 website to see if they can expand on the news report.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Rather than "people carrying 'illegal' guns ", it was probably "people carrying guns illegally"....

my guess is that they were arrested for another offense and the guns were found during the search incident to arrest.

Actually, I think I heard it correctly, one of the reasons why it caught my attention. You may be right about the gun being found upon arrest for shoplifting.

Walt_Kowalski

Rather than "people carrying 'illegal' guns ", it was probably "people carrying guns illegally"....

my guess is that they were arrested for another offense and the guns were found during the search incident to arrest.

+1

The only thing Tyosns corner can do is ask you to leave, and if you refuse, charge you with trespass.

VApatriot

My best guess at an explanation would be this:

If the police made arrests for shoplifting, they might have nabbed one or two wanna-be thugs who were illegally carrying firearms, be it as convicted felons and/or without permits.

What ever the case may be, this is just another example of very poor reporting.

TFred

There's accidentally poor, there's incompetently poor and then there's intentionally poor. Hard to say which it is here, but the simple fact is that the more people are indoctrinated with the idea that "guns are illegal", the happier the anti-gun media seems to be.

TFred

ocholsteroc

Theres a differenecs between 'people carrying illegal guns' meaning sawed off shotgun, full automatic, etc...

People carrying guns illegally is like no permit to CC.

Last edited:

nova

Theres a differenecs between 'people carrying illegal guns' meaning sawed off shotgun, full automatic, etc...

People carrying guns illegally is like no permit to CC.
And even then, a short barreled shotgun or machinegun is not an illegal firearm, it's just illegal to possess or transfer without papers. LE/Gov't can possess them legally, so it's not the gun that's illegal.

ocholsteroc

And even then, a short barreled shotgun or machinegun is not an illegal firearm, it's just illegal to possess or transfer without papers. LE/Gov't can possess them legally, so it's not the gun that's illegal.

Thats true. I said it wrong...
Well wait, I thought a CHP was for ONLY a handgun not shotguns/rifles in your pants... even if you have proper legal paper work. its a H for handgun only?

Last edited:

Dreamer

Those "illegal guns" were most likely perfectly legal firearms, but in the hands (or more likely, pockets) of people who possessed them, or were carrying them in an illegal manner...

BTW, Tysons IS posted, but not clearly. They do not have the highly visible "circle slash gunbusters" type signage. They have "rules of conduct" posted, and way down at the bottom, in tiny 12 pt type there is a line prohibiting guns, knives, or any sort of weapons.

Tysons is posted, but not in an obvious or clearly visible manner--which is becoming a disturbing trend with malls all over the country. You have to first realize that those "Code of Conduct" signs are about prohibiting something we all do, and then take the time to read it...

It's like these signs are designed to be ignored (they are not prominently placed, they are not eye-catching, and they use tiny type on low-contrast backgrounds, so they are easy to miss and difficult to read.). They are designed in a manner that does not make you want to pay attention to them, almost like they are hoping you'll ignore them, and then they can "catch" you carrying against their policies...

This isn't just "bad graphic design", folks. These signs are symptomatic of the insideous, duplicitous, and deceitful tactics that the anti-gun British and French multinationals who own most of the malls in the US are willing to go to to mess with us...

Boycott malls that are "posted"...

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
email sent

I sent Gail an email:
- - -
Hi.. when you talked about the shoplifting case at Tysons.. you ended with.. "Police arrested to people with Illegal guns in the mall too". Can you tell me more about that? Guns are legal in VA. So was it just that people were carrying guns or that the police arrested shoplifters that HAD guns or what? Thanks in advance. Ed

nova

Thats true. I said it wrong...
Well wait, I thought a CHP was for ONLY a handgun not shotguns/rifles in your pants... even if you have proper legal paper work. its a H for handgun only?
It is, but you can OC firearms other than handguns, no permit needed (unless you're in a county that regulates long gun or "assault firearm" carry, then a CHP is needed for exemption. Even then, carrying a shotgun in your pants concealed is the illegal part, not the gun itself.

Last edited:

richarcm

I caught and corrected one pro gun lady who referred to "illegal guns". It makes it sound as though the guns themselves are capable of doing something wrong. Her confusion is likely the result of a deliberate manipulation of words by anti-gun marketers who incrementally want to change language around specifically to slowly change the perception of what a gun is capable of regardless of owner.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I sent Gail an email:
- - -
Hi.. when you talked about the shoplifting case at Tysons.. you ended with.. "Police arrested to people with Illegal guns in the mall too". Can you tell me more about that? Guns are legal in VA. So was it just that people were carrying guns or that the police arrested shoplifters that HAD guns or what? Thanks in advance. Ed

Her answer:
They were convicted felons from NY that had guns. Thanks for writing!

TFred

Her answer:

ProShooter wins the prize!

TFred

Dreamer

Her answer:

Under her editorial policies, then, a drunk driver was driving an "illegal car"...

When did they stop teaching grammar and composition in "journalism school"? :banghead: