• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry with utah non resident ccp?

turbo99397

im an illinois resident technically but im staying at my parents vacation home in indiana at the moment. i have a utah non resident ccp which is honored in indiana. the permit states its for concealed carry however i know indiana recognizes open and concealed carry so i was wondering if when in indiana i can OC? id prefer to conceal carry most of the time but there are times where id just like to have it open carry. so id like to get a clear answer before i go about and open carry. thanks - Jason

1245A Defender

well,,,

indiana is a "licensed open carry" state,
you must have a cpl or cwp etc in order to open carry.
since indiana honors the utah permit, you can OC in indiana.
dont forget to carry your permit, picture ID and your activated voice recorder.

turbo99397

ok great because in some situations i have a shoulder holster on and when i go to a resturant i might want to take off the hoodie if it gets alittle hot in there, and also i may just want to carry open sometimes.

so what do u mean by recorder? like carry around a tape recorder with me?

and not to be rude but are you positive about this open carry thing? my utah non resident permit says concealed carry on it but i took the class in indiana and they told me u obide by the rules of the state ur carrying in but its confusing because the permit says concealed carry on it, and im sure some police officers may try to give me a hard time about it. but thanks for the information

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am a Utah Resident with a Utah concealed carry permit. IN UTAH, per Utah law the permit ALLOWS concealment but does not require it. The permit ALSO exempts those issued a permit from the prohibition of other DANGEROUS WEAPONS--- like OTF knives or switchblades, and other self defense tools that may otherwise be restricted as they don't have an otherwise easily discerned "lawful purpose".

Now the above is great WHILE IN UTAH....

Beware that some states WILL NOT recognize a permit issued by a state that you are NOT a resident of!

If you are intending to carry in ANY other state then you MUST abide by the restrictions placed upon the permitee by that state.

Since you are anticipating carrying in the State of Indiana, may I suggest you make your request on this in the Indiana subforum.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Your Utah permit also exempts you from having to have the gun two steps away from firing (chamber unloaded) when open carrying in Utah! So, in reality, it IS an open carry permit as well, in Utah :lol:

To the OP:
Your Utah permit is recognized in Indiana per IC 35-47-2-21. The statute does state "according to the terms thereof", however concealment is NOT a requirement in UTAH, so it would not be a requirement in Indiana either, since Indiana law does not specify concealed or open carry either.

The unloaded portion of Utah law WITHOUT a permit technically only applies when one is on a public street....
see 76-10-505 (1)(b)

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050500.htm

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

turbo99397

ok so it sounds like i can open carry in indiana with my utah non resident permit.

once again let me explain the situation so everyone is clear what the case is, im staying in indiana at my parents second home, i have an illinois id which i dont plan on getting an indiana id ever and i have a utah non resident concealed carry permit

the indiana carry law states that if i had an INDIANA id, the utah non resident permit would not be honored i would have to get an indiana ccp. now since im in indiana with an illinois resident id/ license and a utah non resident ccp i am able to carry in indiana.

i was unclear however on the status of open carry due to the fact that my permit stated concealed carry at the top. and im sure there will be some police officers that will get confused abt the whole bag of info i just listed, luckily i live where almost half of the residents in this area are from indiana and just come up here in the summer so hopfuly there are other illinois residents carrying in indiana.

hogeaterf6

I just took the class last night. Even tho it says ccw, Utah is a open carry State.

To be on the safe side, call the Ind State Police post. Find out and get the persons name/id# incase something happens.