• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

every curious person asks these questions:

xnetc9

everytime i open carry, some stranger would ask and follow up with:

1. what is that on your hip?
2. is it real?
3. are you a cop?
4. do you have a license?

sometimes i like to mix up the answers
1. my gun
2. it is an airsoft. or yes it is.
3. no

what do sheeple ask about your gun when open carrying??

CenTex

2. is it real?
3. are you a cop?

1. my gun
3. no

Are we supposed to guess the answer to number four? :confused:

Every time I open carry, some stranger would ask me:

1. What is that on your hip?
2. Is it real?
3. Are you a cop?
4. Do you have a license?

Sometimes I mix up the answers:
1. The side of my pants.
2. Yes, my pants are real.
3. I have never copped to anything...scout's honor...well, on second thought.
4. No, I don't need one to wear pants.

Just teasing you, xnetc9.

Last edited:

Rich Keagy

The answer to your question is because they are unaccustomed to seeing guns without accompanying uniforms.
I think it will take ten years to get everyone used to it.
Let's all do our part.

CenTex

The answer to your question is because they are unaccustomed to seeing guns without accompanying uniforms.
I think it will take ten years to get everyone used to it.
Let's all do our part.

I don't want to be a naysayer, but I don't think any guns will be legally owned, let alone carried whether concealed or open, in ten years except by law enforcement, military, and those with political clout.

Last edited:

Freedom First

Let's not surrender quite yet.

CenTex, The only way they can "take" our guns is by our willing submission. We are right in this and those who would seize our firearms are wrong. The facts are just that simple but the choices stemming from those facts are not. The days will come where free men must choose to stay free and perhaps surrender their lives to keep their children free.

Lawful Aim

I don't want to be a naysayer, but I don't think any guns will be legally owned, let alone carried whether concealed or open, in ten years except by law enforcement, military, and those with political clout.

All the more reason to do all you can with all you have accordingly, working towards a satisfactory outcome.

It seems to be a conversation piece. Would you be interested? (...as pamphlet is handed out)

2. is it real?
During a real threat, how important is it to you that you are able to really protect yourself?

3. are you a cop?
No but if a situation called for one, would you rather wait while having self defense or without?

There is no law requiring one.
Would you sign a form that merely gives a corporate STATE permission to control one's activities that are already lawful?

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

2. is it real?
3. are you a cop?

1. my gun
3. no

1. my belt
2. yes, genuine bullhide leather
3. why are you breaking any laws that I should be alerted to?
4. do you need a permit to exercise any other inalienable rights(like speaking)

the last one is the only legitimate answer.

shotcop

Open carried for the first time here in Colorado yesterday and was asked by an ol dtimer "is that a real gun?" at first I was put off. I'm 51 yrs old, why would I carry a toy gun? I answered yes, then something neat happened, he was a WWII vet and we talked about Brownings greatest creation (my 1911). Not all people think this way however, open carry may be legal but believe me not accepted here.

Ca Patriot

On a scale of 1- 10 I would rate my looks as a high 5 - low 6. Girls almost NEVER approach me and start conversations. However, 4 months ago I started open carrying at trendy locations in the South Bay. I noticed immediately that girls were looking at me.

I was certain that if nothing else it was making them curious and girls love a little mystery. Its also very rare that girls come across guys with guns.

So, now I use it to my advantage and I have gotten at least 7 phone numbers in the last 3 months.

One girl was convinced that I was like CIA or FBI and no matter how many times I told her no its like she became MORE convinced that I was like some secret super agent or something.

PavePusher

On a scale of 1- 10 I would rate my looks as a high 5 - low 6. Girls almost NEVER approach me and start conversations. However, 4 months ago I started open carrying at trendy locations in the South Bay. I noticed immediately that girls were looking at me.

I was certain that if nothing else it was making them curious and girls love a little mystery. Its also very rare that girls come across guys with guns.

So, now I use it to my advantage and I have gotten at least 7 phone numbers in the last 3 months.

One girl was convinced that I was like CIA or FBI and no matter how many times I told her no its like she became MORE convinced that I was like some secret super agent or something.

Well, I've heard worse reasons to carry...

xnetc9

that's interesting... no girls approached me the last few months. lucky you!

xnetc9

Are we supposed to guess the answer to number four? :confused:

Every time I open carry, some stranger would ask me:

1. What is that on your hip?
2. Is it real?
3. Are you a cop?
4. Do you have a license?

Sometimes I mix up the answers:
1. The side of my pants.
2. Yes, my pants are real.
3. I have never copped to anything...scout's honor...well, on second thought.
4. No, I don't need one to wear pants.

Just teasing you, xnetc9.

:lol: i am getting tired of answering these same questions and lately been answering these questions with sarcasm like "i carry a toy gun"... "a water gun" etc...

chewy352

:lol: i am getting tired of answering these same questions and lately been answering these questions with sarcasm like "i carry a toy gun"... "a water gun" etc...

As tireing as it may be we need to understand that peoples perceptions of us will not be as individuals but the movement as a whole.

The few times while OCing that I have not had the time/patience to talk to someone about OC I invite them to the forum/meetups and give them my username. I also carry business cards with me to hand out. If anyone wants the link it's on here somewhere and I'll search for it if anyone wants it.

CenTex

I would seriously rethink on how you are dealing with the public. Can you honestly admit to yourself that telling people you're carrying a toy gun is helping the cause? Sarcasm should never be accompanied with a firearm. Potentially, it could get you into a bad argument that would end up with someone calling LE. How would that help Open Carry? How would that help you?

If you don't want to talk with inquisitive people, carry pamphlets or business cards to hand out. Give them with a smile. There are ready-made pamphlets for that purpose. See below. Remember, one of the major reasons for OCing is to "advertise" to the public your right and their right to "Constitutional carry." You should take every opportunity to spread the word. Being "nice and courteous" should be your constant attitude when confronted by the public and LE. There are open carriers that wear T-shirts that say, "Ask Me." Try that for your motto.

From what I've read on different forums, one of the things that goes along with OC is the constant chance that someone is going to question you about your firearm, whether that be the public or LE. If you don't like that, you may want to rethink OCing. Or, at least, don't carry until you are in the right frame of mind.

Pamphlets:
1) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?41978-New-Pamphlet-on-CA-Open-Carry

2) http://www.opencarryradio.com/documents/Open%20Carry%20Educational%20Brochure%20RevA1.pdf

Flier:
http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Really? You're tired of answering questions from people who are interested or concerned about your state of being armed? How inconvenient it must be for you to take a moment to promote the 2A in a positive light, assuage someone's irrational fear, or challenge someone's prejudice against gunowners.

Carrying a firearm comes with responsibilities, not the least of which is to avoid making the rest of California's gunowners seem like asshats. If you like sarcasm, try stand up comedy. If you are too tired to respond appropriately to enquiries about your UOC, LUCC instead.

xnetc9

Really? You're tired of answering questions from people who are interested or concerned about your state of being armed? How inconvenient it must be for you to take a moment to promote the 2A in a positive light, assuage someone's irrational fear, or challenge someone's prejudice against gunowners.

Carrying a firearm comes with responsibilities, not the least of which is to avoid making the rest of California's gunowners seem like asshats. If you like sarcasm, try stand up comedy. If you are too tired to respond appropriately to enquiries about your UOC, LUCC instead.

tired of being asked obvious questions like
"is that a gun?" when it is clearly a gun in my holster...
"is that real?" when the bullet cartridges are clearly seen in my mag holster...
"is that a REAL GUN?"
"is that a real airsoft?!" :banghead:

if you go to a club to pick up chicks, do you start out asking:
"are you a girl?"
"are you human?"
"are you a human girl?"

though i'd much rather answer questions to:
"i didnt know we could carry guns" then i could answer yea, it is our right!
"why do you carry?" to look cool of course...
"what gun is that?"
"caliber?"

out of the 20 questions i was asked so far, only 2 were not rhetorical questions like "is that a beretta 92?" or "wow i didn't know you could carry, i think i will start doing that too since santa ana is a dangerous city"

i'll try not to make us UOC look like asshats :lol:

Last edited: