• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skidmark speaks out. Exclusive interview.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://news.oldva.org/?p=66035
The TSA has nothing on the private security used by the Virginia Department of Transportation at the Jamestown/Scotland Neck Ferry.
Paul Henick, a gentle retired and handicapped man, was charged with brandishing a firearm and obstruction of Justice when he pointed his finger at a Security Guard working the Ferry.
Concerned gun owners in Virginia started a fundraiser at Opencarry. org. It was picked up by freedom loving people all across the United States. Within a week, it showed over 22,000 hits and money started pouring in for Paul's defense.

The noted defense attorney,
Daniel L. Hawes Esquire has taken on Paul's case.

The first in a series of Video's about this travesty and questionable practices in the county of Surry, will air tonight.
To see this in HD, go to Virginia 1 Video Channel
http://vimeo.com/channels/vaone

More to come in the next few weeks.

[video=vimeo;17660694]http://vimeo.com/17660694[/video]

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You tease, you!

Looking forward to the next installment.

Lots going on KB. This thing has more arms than a Siamese twin octopus.
Day before yesterday, I had to fle a complaint with the Supreme Court because the Surry Clerk decided to make her own laws. Got that settled yesterday and I'm headed back today with camera in hand.

I'm glad Skid decided to tell his side. It's tough to be innocent, and not be able to tell anyone what happened.

wylde007

@ 3:34 Paul mentions the "Potomac" river. He surely means the James.

What is with the cutting in-and-out early on? Is there information discussed or covered there which is irrelevant or is it things that he has been advised by counsel to not discuss publicly pending the hearing?

eye95

A cliffhanger??? OK. Now we've seen the installment of the serial. Time for a Bugs Bunny cartoon, followed by the feature. Miracle on 34th Street?

Good interview, rational and informative. It's nice to put a real face to skidmark, as opposed to his avatar, which oddly bears no resemblance. Is that user in the Giants regalia?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A cliffhanger??? OK. Now we've seen the installment of the serial. Time for a Bugs Bunny cartoon, followed by the feature. Miracle on 34th Street?

Good interview, rational and informative. It's nice to put a real face to skidmark, as opposed to his avatar, which oddly bears no resemblance. Is that user in the Giants regalia?

No, that's Pro-Shooter. He dropped by to add some other commentary that will be forthcoming.

User is a tall, dignified Southern gentleman with a neatly-trimmed beard and a soft, mellow style of speaking.

It has been agreed to that there will be NO MORE pictures of grapeshot's best side.

Didn't know the Town of Surry had a 34th Street.

stay safe.

nemo

For those who attend the court date, would it be appropriate to take the ferry, either coming or going or both, while OC, and point our fingers at the guards?

user

Accomplished Advocate

What is with the cutting in-and-out early on? Is there information discussed or covered there which is irrelevant or is it things that he has been advised by counsel to not discuss publicly pending the hearing?

Correct on the first point. Also, a good guess as to the second. There are aspects of what Paul was saying that are not relevant to the charges made, take up time unnecessarily in the clip, and which I felt were best not stated publicly. My ability to suggest such modifications was a condition of the interview. Normal lawyer stuff.

eye95

...My ability to suggest such modifications was a condition of the interview. Normal lawyer stuff.

That stuff is to be read into the commercial very quickly and barely audible, followed by, "No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of..."

user

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/...onicSurveillanceLaws/tabid/13492/Default.aspx

I hope you guys and gals in Virginia carry video and/or audio recorders.

No consent at all is required where the person who is being recorded has "no reasonable expectation of privacy" - that's why the Fourth Circuit says it's ok to stick GPS units on people's cars for surreptitious tracking by LEO's. The only case where you have to worry about consent at all is when you're recording a "private conversation".

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
I should have made my positive comments early this morning when I viewed the video and no one else had made a comment yet...

I didn't, but here they are----

Positive comments, positive comments, positive comments!

eye95

So, essentially one can just stick an audio recorder under a park bench and come by and collect the recordings, no problem?

I suspect that a court would rule that any quiet conversations held at that bench were held with an expectation of privacy. I think some are overbroadly interpreting the planted-GPS ruling.

I could be wrong. IANAL.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I suspect that a court would rule that any quiet conversations held at that bench were held with an expectation of privacy. I think some are overbroadly interpreting the planted-GPS ruling.

I could be wrong. IANAL.

Courts in Virginia typically do NOT allow recorders or video equipment in the courtroom except with very special permission.

The "GPS ruling" is an entirely different subject which I will not get into on this thread.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Wylde....time and content.

It takes a bunch of time to edit it down to ten minutes or so at a whack. I didn't get it uploaded until two or three this morning.

Content...Skid was doing everyone a special favor for saying what he did. He was so overwhelmed by the response to this, he thought you deserved some explanation.

The edits were mine. I chose to cut them and User concurred. I may put some back in after the trial when I put the whole thing together. Others were personal details that I see no useful purpose in ever disclosing.

I've been in Surry all day making new video's but not making many friends:lol:.

There will be a lot of things coming out between now and the trial and even more after. This goes way beyond one security guard.

I have at least 6 hours of editing to do tonight with what I took today.