Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Twenty-year-olds with weapons?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    why?
    Posts
    57

    Twenty-year-olds with weapons?

    Twenty-year-olds with weapons?
    More Info

    * Editorials

    The U.S. Supreme Court has been, of late, restoring Second Amendment rights taken away by states and cities -- specifically in the overturning of handgun prohibitions in the Heller case out of Washington, D.C., and the McDonald case from Chicago.

    But at what age does the constitutional right to own and carry a handgun accrue?

    Excerpt ... read more at http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/gun-rights-110930899.html
    Last edited by Crassus; 12-10-2010 at 12:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605
    The Age to Lawfully Own and Possess a HandGun is 18 Years of Age, under Federal Law, however; Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x) Prohibits the Purchase, Sell, or Transfer of a HandGun to anyone under 21 Years of Age.

    In most States, one has to be 18 to Own a Handgun, and 18 to Apply for, and Recieve, a HandGun Permit.

    Under Wisconsin Code 948.60(2)(a), The Age to Own AND Possess a Firearm is 18 Years Old, as it is in MUCH of The United States of America.

    Since Open Carry is 'De Facto' Lawful, at 18 Years of Age, Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun is Legal in Wisconsin.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    That ain't a good newspaper to steal content from without approval.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    I thought you could be 16 and join the armed forces? Regardless, people under 18 can join the military. Imagine that?! Responsible people under the magical age of 18! Like I've said before, there are "kids" that are 10 (or younger) who I'd trust my life with more than some 40 year olds.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    145
    I'll be honest, just because they are old enough to join the military and be issued weapons does not mean they are trusted with live ammo or without direct supervision. I'll be honest, I've seen how our younger generation handles weapons in the military, and it frightens me, but on the other hand, I've seen some well instructed younger people and how they can handle a firearm when they are properly trained. I still think they should be supervised.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643

    17 To Join Military. How many under 18 joined in WW2 and died for their country?

    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I thought you could be 16 and join the armed forces? Regardless, people under 18 can join the military. Imagine that?! Responsible people under the magical age of 18! Like I've said before, there are "kids" that are 10 (or younger) who I'd trust my life with more than some 40 year olds.
    http://www.military.com/Recruiting/C...ility,,00.html

    Also, federal law states 21 to buy a handgun or handgun ammo but only 18 to possess both. And IIRC most states set the age of 21 to get a concealed weapons license with a few exceptions.

    Oh, it used to be 16 to join the military but that was years ago. I had a cousin that joined the Navy about 35 years ago when he was 16 with his parents consent. My times have changed! Now you have to be 17!
    Last edited by rcawdor57; 12-10-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added age comment.

  7. #7
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    The Age to Lawfully Own and Possess a HandGun is 18 Years of Age, under Federal Law, however; Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x) Prohibits the Purchase, Sell, or Transfer of a HandGun to anyone under 21 Years of Age.
    You are incorrect..

    18 U.S.C. 922(x) states:
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile:
    (A) a handgun;or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

    (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

    The Feds allow you to buy a handgun at 18 from private sellers but not from FFL dealers.

  8. #8
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    You are incorrect..

    18 U.S.C. 922(x) states:
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile:
    (A) a handgun;or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

    (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

    The Feds allow you to buy a handgun at 18 from private sellers but not from FFL dealers.
    Good catch in pointing out that 18 USC 922 prohibits a FFL from selling to those 18 - 21, but does not prohibit a private sale or transfer. I will go one step further and point out that 18 USC 922 A makes it unlawful to sell or transfer a handgun except in your own state of residency. To purchase a handgun from outside your state of residency, a FFL must act as an intermediary and this defacto prohibits a person over 18 but under 21 to purchase a handgun from an out of state seller.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Good catch in pointing out that 18 USC 922 prohibits a FFL from selling to those 18 - 21, but does not prohibit a private sale or transfer. I will go one step further and point out that 18 USC 922 A makes it unlawful to sell or transfer a handgun except in your own state of residency. To purchase a handgun from outside your state of residency, a FFL must act as an intermediary and this defacto prohibits a person over 18 but under 21 to purchase a handgun from an out of state seller.
    But if you are in let's say Illinois visiting your brother and you are a resident of Wisconsin you can get a handgun from him either as a gift or as a private sale as long as it doesn't violate state law.

  10. #10
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Wonder how different things would be if anyone who hasn't yet hit their 21st birthday wasn't legally allowed to even handle a gun?

    The military would have to find older bodies to throw into wars, and older bodies come with older brains, less prone to reckless decisions. Ditto for law enforcement.

    Crime wouldn't change, I don't think. Criminals will still harm people no matter what the laws say. But the law-abiding side of society would be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    281
    It seems as if most of this thread concerns military and age. Maybe the legal age of 21 should be amended to allow anyone under 21 currently on active duty or an Honorable Discharge to buy a handgun.

    If you want to own and/or carry a handgun then be patriotic and join the military. Then you can buy and carry your handguns with pride! End of problem!
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Well,

    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    But if you are in let's say Illinois visiting your brother and you are a resident of Wisconsin you can get a handgun from him either as a gift or as a private sale as long as it doesn't violate state law.
    No, you can't. Well, technically you can but you cannot bring it into Wisconsin. This would be true even if you brother were a resident of Wisconsin. He would still be liable for giving/selling the item to you. Of course, you could wait and see if he dies before you. I am pretending there are no applicable state laws.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    It seems as if most of this thread concerns military and age. Maybe the legal age of 21 should be amended to allow anyone under 21 currently on active duty or an Honorable Discharge to buy a handgun.

    If you want to own and/or carry a handgun then be patriotic and join the military. Then you can buy and carry your handguns with pride! End of problem!
    No, not an "end of problem." More of an "end around" that does nothing to solve the problem.

    The problem is that at 18, most citizens are eligible for military service, allowed to vote, but restricted from other activities.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  14. #14
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Like I've said before, there are "kids" that are 10 (or younger) who I'd trust my life with more than some 40 year olds.
    Same here...but sometimes theres something about that 16 and later age group....

    There just aint room to put a boot in their A+s because their own head is in the way and inserted deeper.

    LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 12-13-2010 at 06:05 AM.
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  15. #15
    McX
    Guest
    20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.
    +10,000
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

  17. #17
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Bad Guys have Weapons - I own firearms including pistols, rifles, and shotguns.

    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.
    Good catch McX. We law abiding citizens own firearms, handguns, rifles, long-guns, shotguns (you get the point). Criminals and terrorists do their dirty deeds with weapons. Our military does its' work with weapons platforms (tanks, warplanes, and the like).
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  18. #18
    Regular Member CenTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,,
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    Twenty-year-olds with weapons?
    More Info

    * Editorials

    The U.S. Supreme Court has been, of late, restoring Second Amendment rights taken away by states and cities -- specifically in the overturning of handgun prohibitions in the Heller case out of Washington, D.C., and the McDonald case from Chicago.

    But at what age does the constitutional right to own and carry a handgun accrue?

    Excerpt ... read more at http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/gun-rights-110930899.html
    You are talking about firearms, I presume...and not necessarily weapons?
    Edit: Most of my life, I've used the term weapons for military use. Some of you may like using it for your firearms. I think it carries a negative connotation in some people's minds just as the term gun. I prefer the term firearm. That too may offend the anti's.

    First, the Constitution does not state an age that I am aware of.

    But how about this:
    Right at 17 or 18, when you are old enough to go to war and die for your country.

    Rights, as well as privileges, come with responsibility.
    Last edited by CenTex; 12-14-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    The words of a tyrant: I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.

    Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by nevinsb View Post
    I'll be honest, just because they are old enough to join the military and be issued weapons does not mean they are trusted with live ammo or without direct supervision. I'll be honest, I've seen how our younger generation handles weapons in the military, and it frightens me, but on the other hand, I've seen some well instructed younger people and how they can handle a firearm when they are properly trained. I still think they should be supervised.
    Paying attention to the "news" for a few minutes will reveal the stunning fact that age is no guaranteed indicator of responsible behavior.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    It seems as if most of this thread concerns military and age. Maybe the legal age of 21 should be amended to allow anyone under 21 currently on active duty or an Honorable Discharge to buy a handgun.

    If you want to own and/or carry a handgun then be patriotic and join the military. Then you can buy and carry your handguns with pride! End of problem!
    So only agents of the Government should be allowed to execise thier rights?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Racine, wi
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.
    Why do you connect the word weapon to crime? As a soldier I was taught, correctly, to call my rifle and handgun weapons. Firearms were concieved of, designed, and manufactured to give the people that own them the ability to kill or disable their enemy. Wether your enemy is a wild animal, a rapist after your wife, an opponent at war, or a liquor store clerk does not change the fact that you are using a weapon. A weapon can be a means to many different ends, all involving the power to kill or disable. I feel that to not recognise a firearm as a weapon is to lose respect for what it can do.

    By the way im new here, first post, and havent OCed yet. Hello to all

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Good catch McX. We law abiding citizens own firearms, handguns, rifles, long-guns, shotguns (you get the point). Criminals and terrorists do their dirty deeds with weapons. Our military does its' work with weapons platforms (tanks, warplanes, and the like).
    Sorry, I have dozens of 'weapons' and I am a completely lawful Citizen with no criminal record.

    Trying to slice too thinly with Occams Razor will merely get your fingers cut.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SOuth Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    503
    Been open carrying my Glock since I turned 18. I am now 21, nothing happened..... LOL

  24. #24
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by PavePusher View Post
    Sorry, I have dozens of 'weapons' and I am a completely lawful Citizen with no criminal record.

    Trying to slice too thinly with Occams Razor will merely get your fingers cut.
    Lucky you...like many others here I lost all mine in a boating accident

    LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  25. #25
    Regular Member CenTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,,
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by theJurk View Post
    Why do you connect the word weapon to crime? As a soldier I was taught, correctly, to call my rifle and handgun weapons. Firearms were concieved of, designed, and manufactured to give the people that own them the ability to kill or disable their enemy. Wether your enemy is a wild animal, a rapist after your wife, an opponent at war, or a liquor store clerk does not change the fact that you are using a weapon. A weapon can be a means to many different ends, all involving the power to kill or disable. I feel that to not recognise a firearm as a weapon is to lose respect for what it can do.

    By the way im new here, first post, and havent OCed yet. Hello to all
    I was taught "correctly" in the Navy to call my firearm a "piece." That may have changed in the last 40 years. Anyway, different strokes for different branches of the military.
    Last edited by CenTex; 12-14-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    The words of a tyrant: I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.

    Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •