• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Twenty-year-olds with weapons?

Crassus

Banned
More Info

* Editorials

The U.S. Supreme Court has been, of late, restoring Second Amendment rights taken away by states and cities -- specifically in the overturning of handgun prohibitions in the Heller case out of Washington, D.C., and the McDonald case from Chicago.

But at what age does the constitutional right to own and carry a handgun accrue?

Excerpt ... read more at http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/gun-rights-110930899.html

Last edited:

aadvark

The Age to Lawfully Own and Possess a HandGun is 18 Years of Age, under Federal Law, however; Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x) Prohibits the Purchase, Sell, or Transfer of a HandGun to anyone under 21 Years of Age.

In most States, one has to be 18 to Own a Handgun, and 18 to Apply for, and Recieve, a HandGun Permit.

Under Wisconsin Code 948.60(2)(a), The Age to Own AND Possess a Firearm is 18 Years Old, as it is in MUCH of The United States of America.

Since Open Carry is 'De Facto' Lawful, at 18 Years of Age, Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun is Legal in Wisconsin.

protias

I thought you could be 16 and join the armed forces? Regardless, people under 18 can join the military. Imagine that?! Responsible people under the magical age of 18! Like I've said before, there are "kids" that are 10 (or younger) who I'd trust my life with more than some 40 year olds.

nevinsb

I'll be honest, just because they are old enough to join the military and be issued weapons does not mean they are trusted with live ammo or without direct supervision. I'll be honest, I've seen how our younger generation handles weapons in the military, and it frightens me, but on the other hand, I've seen some well instructed younger people and how they can handle a firearm when they are properly trained. I still think they should be supervised.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
17 To Join Military. How many under 18 joined in WW2 and died for their country?

I thought you could be 16 and join the armed forces? Regardless, people under 18 can join the military. Imagine that?! Responsible people under the magical age of 18! Like I've said before, there are "kids" that are 10 (or younger) who I'd trust my life with more than some 40 year olds.

http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step02_eligibility,,00.html

Also, federal law states 21 to buy a handgun or handgun ammo but only 18 to possess both. And IIRC most states set the age of 21 to get a concealed weapons license with a few exceptions.

Oh, it used to be 16 to join the military but that was years ago. I had a cousin that joined the Navy about 35 years ago when he was 16 with his parents consent. My times have changed! Now you have to be 17!

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
The Age to Lawfully Own and Possess a HandGun is 18 Years of Age, under Federal Law, however; Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x) Prohibits the Purchase, Sell, or Transfer of a HandGun to anyone under 21 Years of Age.

You are incorrect..

18 U.S.C. 922(x) states:
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile:
(A) a handgun;or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

The Feds allow you to buy a handgun at 18 from private sellers but not from FFL dealers.

jpm84092

You are incorrect..

18 U.S.C. 922(x) states:
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile:
(A) a handgun;or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

The Feds allow you to buy a handgun at 18 from private sellers but not from FFL dealers.

Good catch in pointing out that 18 USC 922 prohibits a FFL from selling to those 18 - 21, but does not prohibit a private sale or transfer. I will go one step further and point out that 18 USC 922 A makes it unlawful to sell or transfer a handgun except in your own state of residency. To purchase a handgun from outside your state of residency, a FFL must act as an intermediary and this defacto prohibits a person over 18 but under 21 to purchase a handgun from an out of state seller.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Good catch in pointing out that 18 USC 922 prohibits a FFL from selling to those 18 - 21, but does not prohibit a private sale or transfer. I will go one step further and point out that 18 USC 922 A makes it unlawful to sell or transfer a handgun except in your own state of residency. To purchase a handgun from outside your state of residency, a FFL must act as an intermediary and this defacto prohibits a person over 18 but under 21 to purchase a handgun from an out of state seller.

But if you are in let's say Illinois visiting your brother and you are a resident of Wisconsin you can get a handgun from him either as a gift or as a private sale as long as it doesn't violate state law.

MKEgal

Wonder how different things would be if anyone who hasn't yet hit their 21st birthday wasn't legally allowed to even handle a gun?

The military would have to find older bodies to throw into wars, and older bodies come with older brains, less prone to reckless decisions. Ditto for law enforcement.

Crime wouldn't change, I don't think. Criminals will still harm people no matter what the laws say. But the law-abiding side of society would be different.

Krusty

It seems as if most of this thread concerns military and age. Maybe the legal age of 21 should be amended to allow anyone under 21 currently on active duty or an Honorable Discharge to buy a handgun.

If you want to own and/or carry a handgun then be patriotic and join the military. Then you can buy and carry your handguns with pride! End of problem!

apjonas

Well,

But if you are in let's say Illinois visiting your brother and you are a resident of Wisconsin you can get a handgun from him either as a gift or as a private sale as long as it doesn't violate state law.

No, you can't. Well, technically you can but you cannot bring it into Wisconsin. This would be true even if you brother were a resident of Wisconsin. He would still be liable for giving/selling the item to you. Of course, you could wait and see if he dies before you. I am pretending there are no applicable state laws.

wrightme

It seems as if most of this thread concerns military and age. Maybe the legal age of 21 should be amended to allow anyone under 21 currently on active duty or an Honorable Discharge to buy a handgun.

If you want to own and/or carry a handgun then be patriotic and join the military. Then you can buy and carry your handguns with pride! End of problem!

No, not an "end of problem." More of an "end around" that does nothing to solve the problem.

The problem is that at 18, most citizens are eligible for military service, allowed to vote, but restricted from other activities.

LR Yote 312

Like I've said before, there are "kids" that are 10 (or younger) who I'd trust my life with more than some 40 year olds.

Same here...but sometimes theres something about that 16 and later age group....

There just aint room to put a boot in their A+s because their own head is in the way and inserted deeper.

LR Yote

Last edited:
M

McX

20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.

jpm84092

Bad Guys have Weapons - I own firearms including pistols, rifles, and shotguns.

20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.

Good catch McX. We law abiding citizens own firearms, handguns, rifles, long-guns, shotguns (you get the point). Criminals and terrorists do their dirty deeds with weapons. Our military does its' work with weapons platforms (tanks, warplanes, and the like).

CenTex

More Info

* Editorials

The U.S. Supreme Court has been, of late, restoring Second Amendment rights taken away by states and cities -- specifically in the overturning of handgun prohibitions in the Heller case out of Washington, D.C., and the McDonald case from Chicago.

But at what age does the constitutional right to own and carry a handgun accrue?

Excerpt ... read more at http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/gun-rights-110930899.html

You are talking about firearms, I presume...and not necessarily weapons?
Edit: Most of my life, I've used the term weapons for military use. Some of you may like using it for your firearms. I think it carries a negative connotation in some people's minds just as the term gun. I prefer the term firearm. That too may offend the anti's.

First, the Constitution does not state an age that I am aware of.

But how about this:
Right at 17 or 18, when you are old enough to go to war and die for your country.

Rights, as well as privileges, come with responsibility.

Last edited:

PavePusher

I'll be honest, just because they are old enough to join the military and be issued weapons does not mean they are trusted with live ammo or without direct supervision. I'll be honest, I've seen how our younger generation handles weapons in the military, and it frightens me, but on the other hand, I've seen some well instructed younger people and how they can handle a firearm when they are properly trained. I still think they should be supervised.

Paying attention to the "news" for a few minutes will reveal the stunning fact that age is no guaranteed indicator of responsible behavior.

kawisixer01

So only agents of the Government should be allowed to execise thier rights?