• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Twenty-year-olds with weapons?

theJurk

20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.

Why do you connect the word weapon to crime? As a soldier I was taught, correctly, to call my rifle and handgun weapons. Firearms were concieved of, designed, and manufactured to give the people that own them the ability to kill or disable their enemy. Wether your enemy is a wild animal, a rapist after your wife, an opponent at war, or a liquor store clerk does not change the fact that you are using a weapon. A weapon can be a means to many different ends, all involving the power to kill or disable. I feel that to not recognise a firearm as a weapon is to lose respect for what it can do.

By the way im new here, first post, and havent OCed yet. Hello to all :lol:

PavePusher

Good catch McX. We law abiding citizens own firearms, handguns, rifles, long-guns, shotguns (you get the point). Criminals and terrorists do their dirty deeds with weapons. Our military does its' work with weapons platforms (tanks, warplanes, and the like).

Sorry, I have dozens of 'weapons' and I am a completely lawful Citizen with no criminal record.

Trying to slice too thinly with Occams Razor will merely get your fingers cut.

CenTex

Why do you connect the word weapon to crime? As a soldier I was taught, correctly, to call my rifle and handgun weapons. Firearms were concieved of, designed, and manufactured to give the people that own them the ability to kill or disable their enemy. Wether your enemy is a wild animal, a rapist after your wife, an opponent at war, or a liquor store clerk does not change the fact that you are using a weapon. A weapon can be a means to many different ends, all involving the power to kill or disable. I feel that to not recognise a firearm as a weapon is to lose respect for what it can do.

By the way im new here, first post, and havent OCed yet. Hello to all :lol:

I was taught "correctly" in the Navy to call my firearm a "piece." That may have changed in the last 40 years. Anyway, different strokes for different branches of the military.

Last edited:

nevinsb

20 year olds with weapons. they are NOT weapons, they are firearms, weapons are devices used to commit crimes. I see no crime being committed.

So you are saying I am constantly committing crimes when I have my weapon with me, in fact, that's about all it is ever called in the Army.

Krusty

"Weapon" is the Politically Correct term and I refuse to be Politically Correct!

For myself, a weapon is a rock, a baseball, a baseball bat, a screwdriver, a wrench, a piece of firewood, a can of gas etc. My firearms are referred to as rifle, handgun, shotgun or just plain gun.