• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moved to florida

mnickxd40

I just moved to Florida from kentucky. My question is how long is my Kentucky License good for in Florida?.. I am going to the sheriffs office to apply for my florida license, and i know it'll take altleast 2 months for the whole process

brboyer

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.015.html

Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.

(1)Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
(a)Is 21 years of age or older; and

(b)Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

(2)A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3)If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

Important bits:
establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 0222.17 or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state

More importantly, when does Kentucky say it's resident license/permit is no longer valid.

Rich7553

I called Kentucky state police.. They told me the day i move from Kentucky my license will be invalid

Far be it from me to play lawyer on this one, but exactly what does the Kentucky State Police think constitutes a termination of residency? If I were you, I'd contact a firearms lawyer in Kentucky and not take the State Police's interpretation on law. They enforce it, not interpret it. Most folks will tell you on the Florida boards never take a police officer's word on the law. They are incredibly uninformed and are under no obligation, and are often not inclined, to give you the correct information.

For the purpose of determining residency for in-resident rates at Kentucky colleges and universities, for example, one is considered no longer a resident after having lived out of state for a period of 12 months or more. Likewise, one must live in Kentucky for 12 months in order to establish residency. I fail to see why a concealed carry license would be any different.

From the KSP website:

Non-residents are not eligible for a CCDW license. Consequently, the license of an individual that moves out of state is subject to revocation. Licensees that move out of state may voluntarily surrender their CCDW license by mailing it with a letter to the following address explaining that they are moving out of state:

Kentucky State Police
Criminal Identification & Records Branch
CCDW Section
1250 Louisville Road
Frankfort, KY 40601

So it sounds to me that unless the KSP is watching you cross the state line, they won't know anything until you send them a letter telling them that you no longer live there.

mrjam2jab

FWIW:

KRS 237.110

(11) Within thirty (30) days after the changing of a permanent address, or within thirty
(30) days after the loss, theft, or destruction of a license, the licensee shall notify the
Department of Kentucky State Police of the loss, theft, or destruction. Failure to
notify the Department of Kentucky State Police shall constitute a noncriminal
violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25) payable to the clerk of the
District Court. No court costs shall be assessed for a violation of this subsection.
When a licensee makes application to change his or her residence address or other
information on the license, neither the sheriff nor the Department of Kentucky State
Police shall require a surrender of the license until a new license is in the office of
the applicable sheriff and available for issuance. Upon the issuance of a new
license, the old license shall be destroyed by the sheriff.

(12) If a license is lost, stolen, or destroyed, the license shall be automatically invalid,
and the person to whom the same was issued may, upon payment of fifteen dollars
($15) to the Department of Kentucky State Police, obtain a duplicate, upon
furnishing a notarized statement to the Department of Kentucky State Police that the
license has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

(13) (a) The commissioner of the Department of Kentucky State Police, or his or her
designee in writing, shall revoke the license of any person who becomes
permanently ineligible to be issued a license or have a license renewed under
the criteria set forth in this section.

Last edited:

Rich7553

Ah, very good.

So, here's the way I see it:

1. Until 30 days after you establish your Florida residency by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 0222.17 or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, you are still a Kentucky resident. (KRS 237.110)

2. Once you have established your Florida residency, your Kentucky license is still good for 90 days with regards to reciprocity. (§790.015 F.S.)

3. What makes you think it will take 2 months to get your Florida CWFL and why would you go to the "sheriff's office"? In Florida, CWFLs are issued by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Licensing Division.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

DOACS has field offices scattered throughout the state. Call the one closest to your new address and make an appointment. Bring your Kentucky license along with a check or money order for $117. You very well may have your FL resident CWFL in 10 days after your appointment date.

Welcome to the "Gunshine" state!