View Poll Results: Moustaches and Open Carry, do they mix?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Most Certainly

38 80.85%
  • No way, Jose!

1 2.13%
  • Only if you wear a Black Hat

5 10.64%
  • Only if you're Snidley Whiplash

3 6.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moustaches and Open Carry, do they mix?

Question Moustaches and Open Carry, do they mix?

Moustaches and Open Carry can both be great by themselves, but do they really mix?

Banned
    There is quite a range of 'mustaches', from his toothbrush mustache to the FooManChu that extends into Anton La Vey's beard. Neither extreme is particularly appropriate IMNHO.

Personally, I have worn a mustache all my life, as a memorial to my father, that has come to be more like David Suchet's Hercule Poirot mustache, but, again, not so extreme.

I think your good question is just the perennial question, on first impressions and their value/cost, asked again. Gun nuts (with all due respect and present company excepted, of course), the ones that are tattooed, pierced, mod-ed (new meaning to the 'Mod Squad') and raggedy-assed, don't do your movement any good.

Banned
    If this were a serious poll, I would have picked, "meh."

Mustaches don't have any impact on one's ability to responsibly carry and present no image problems in the minds of many members of the public.

I just gotta wonder why this poll exists, unless it is all in fun.

there is no option for beards....
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bonavia View Post
    There is quite a range of 'mustaches', from his toothbrush mustache to the FooManChu that extends into Anton La Vey's beard. Neither extreme is particularly appropriate IMNHO.

Personally, I have worn a mustache all my life, as a memorial to my father, that has come to be more like David Suchet's Hercule Poirot mustache, but, again, not so extreme.

I think your good question is just the perennial question, on first impressions and their value/cost, asked again. Gun nuts (with all due respect and present company excepted, of course), the ones that are tattooed, pierced, mod-ed (new meaning to the 'Mod Squad') and raggedy-assed, don't do your movement any good.
    I must ask again, since you have not answered my previous questions, and I still have not yet seen you post on the actual subject of OC, why are you here?

Do you OC? Your advocacy so far would indicate not.

WAVE Executive Director Jeri Bonavia = Jon Bonavia
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

I have a beard and a Tweed hat. I hope they mix.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...45524892677813

funniest OC story I have. I go to dinner with a buddy of mine, I'm OC he is CC. He is wearing a shirt that says "guns don't kill people, people with mustaches do". He is clean shaven I have a prominent stash. The waiter says something about it with nervous humor. My friend and I just look at each other, seems this guy didn't realize I had a sidearm even though it was in plain view. Would have been far better if the waiter had noticed the sidearm after making his comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    funniest OC story I have. I go to dinner with a buddy of mine, I'm OC he is CC. He is wearing a shirt that says "guns don't kill people, people with mustaches do". He is clean shaven I have a prominent stash. The waiter says something about it with nervous humor. My friend and I just look at each other, seems this guy didn't realize I had a sidearm even though it was in plain view. Would have been far better if the waiter had noticed the sidearm after making his comment.
    now that's funny.

As far as guns and mustaches mixing, a good handlebar mustache would probably mix pretty darn good with a Colt Peacemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeV View Post
    Moustaches and Open Carry can both be great by themselves, but do they really mix?
    What about beards? Several different kinds of those around. How about long hair? Curly or straight? And let us not forget about those pesky fingernails.....
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts5150 View Post
    What about beards? Several different kinds of those around. How about long hair? Curly or straight? And let us not forget about those pesky fingernails.....
    While a mustache or beard will have virtually no impact on OC, fingernails can be a problem. They are insensitive extensions of the body that vary in size over time, can catch on things, can get caught on things, can get in the way of using fingers, can get torn (causing pain and distraction), etc. Keep 'em trimmed.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    While a mustache or beard will have virtually no impact on OC, fingernails can be a problem. They are insensitive extensions of the body that vary in size over time, can catch on things, can get caught on things, can get in the way of using fingers, can get torn (causing pain and distraction), etc. Keep 'em trimmed.
    What if you fingerpick guitar and use your nails?
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    What if you fingerpick guitar and use your nails?
    Then you will face problems that OCers who can keep their nails trimmed won't.

now he's telling people how to groom themselves! the grooming NAZI
    Last edited by Daylen; 12-10-2010 at 10:31 PM.

A well groomed militia being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the clean-shaven People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 12-11-2010 at 10:29 AM.

How did that work when you were 10? ha.ha.

So a tattooed guy with a moustache, sideburns and a goatee is automatically bad for the OC and gun rights movement? Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by confedneck View Post
    So a tattooed guy with a moustache, sideburns and a goatee is automatically bad for the OC and gun rights movement? Brilliant.
    i'm screwed them. I got a shaved head, foo manchu, left arm is 3/4 sleaved in tats, non visable body piercing , and a biker. Luckily I carry for myself and no 'movement'.

Good point. Except for my left thumbnail....great for stripping wires.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts5150 View Post
    Good point. Except for my left thumbnail....great for stripping wires.
    How long is it? How sharp do you keep it? Is it considered a deadly weapon? Are you licensed to carry that thing?

In my dart-throwing days, I kept a long right ring fingernail. The point of the dart rested in the crook formed by the nail and the finger. For some reason, that particular fingernail never presented a problem.

No one has mentioned a soul patch so I guess I'm OK.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    No one has mentioned a soul patch so I guess I'm OK.
    Oh, I had to shave off my moustache. It kept getting caught in the recoiling slide when I'd bring the gun up close to get a fine sight picture.

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this problem.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, I had to shave off my moustache. It kept getting caught in the recoiling slide when I'd bring the gun up close to get a fine sight picture.

This is clearly a very serious issue worth further inquiry and debate.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    oh, i had to shave off my moustache. It kept getting caught in the recoiling slide when i'd bring the gun up close to get a fine sight picture.

ouch!!!
    Last edited by SavageOne; 12-12-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

recoil slide on just what exactly? I know of various, um problems, mustaches can cause but I've never noticed that one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast