• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

meet n greet for december

k31

i saw the post for November and would love to be able to meet and learn more about utahs laws and those of us who exercise our rights to the letter of those laws
i am still new to the forum and my wife and i both have lots of questions that take to long to find on line :)
any ideas for this month ?????

jpm84092

Meet N Greet is a good idea.

Putting together a meet-n-greet in December can be hectic due to the holidays, but I am game.

I don't have any concrete ideas but I would like to meet some of the folks on this forum as well. I missed last month's meet and greet at the rib joint because of a schedule conflict. (I was taking the NRA Personal Protection In The Home - Instructor class.)

If nobody else responds, I would love to meet you (and wife) and discuss Utah law with respect to open and concealed carry. (I am a Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.)

Jim

k31

yes cheap is good that being said is there a cafe or some ones home not wanting to be intrusive or supply confidential info online
i would offer ours but simple put we moved in with my folks till im done with school
maybe like a low cost restaurant
we are new to the state so am not sure whats around here

Pistol Pete Utah

Let's meet in the most...

Let's meet in the most...Liberal place in SLC like, 9th & 9th, or some coffee shop in the Avenues, some where in Sugarhouse. That would be funny to have a bunch of "gun slingers" "invade the West Coast relocation nieghborhoods of Salt Lake City.

JoeSparky

Centurion
We had a meet last SATURDAY down in American Fork. we had about 30 in attendance. The pattern has been that the one asking when is the one that gets to put it on. Generally utah is very gun friendly. So pick a day, time, and location-- then let us know when and where.
I am looking forward to it!

k31

weds. the 15th of december

i dont know salt lake yet or any where we could have to big of a gathering
if we have a gathering of about 15-25 people where would be a nice area to sit with out over running any one else a presence is fine but to push others out and over run might give us a black eye i would much rather enjoy the time then bump heads with a manager of some kind :) maybe a buffet like a home town or ryans or some thing ????
we have only lived in utah for about two months with lots of working and very little spending

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
I say ice skating!! We haven't done that yet....
Gallivan Center in downtown Salt Lake -
http://www.slcgov.com/PublicServices/Gallivan/icerink.html
You can go to the tab bar and click on the "Ice Rink" calendar to see the days available. There are 8 days left to go this year! Including Christmas Eve, which is open from noon until midnight. - that might be interesting :) it would get the kids mind off of Santa coming in the morning. And not to mention the stress off of parents.
It's only 5 bucks a head since there is still construction.

It's a government run facility so we wouldn't have to worry about gun laws or asking anybody, we just show up! They couldn't do anything about it.
*** I don't know if there is a school within 1000 feet of the facility, so non permit holders beware.

jpm84092

A Suggestion

December is a tough month to organize a meet-n-greet due to the holidays. Folks have shopping, family commitments and the like. Weekday lunches are tough for many due to having to work. Weekday dinners can pose problems for those who work later or have long commutes. Weekend lunches or dinners pose conflicts with shopping and family events, but if we combine the suggestion of a buffet and the concern about "over running" others, Golden Corral is a national chain buffet and they have separate meeting rooms.

The one requesting the meet-n-greet is usually the one who sets things up. So K31, what say you?

I just noticed the ice skating post. Interesting idea, but not all of us are skaters. And, a meal setting allows for more one on one and getting to know one another. I am not "dissing" the suggestion, just pointing out the practical.

And yes, we need to take care to select a location that does not put the non-permit folks afoul of the Federal GFSZ laws.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
I just noticed the ice skating post. Interesting idea, but not all of us are skaters.
Who said you have to be a skater?

And, a meal setting allows for more one on one and getting to know one another.
I think there would be plenty of breaks to chit chat. Also the falling down and laughing would break the ice ;)
lol! We could always go out afterward for hot chocolate or something seeing as how it's outside.

I am not "dissing" the suggestion, just pointing out the practical.
- I think it's called - "Getting Outside Of Your Comfort Zone!"

And yes, we need to take care to select a location that does not put the non-permit folks afoul of the Federal GFSZ laws.
Anywhere could put them "afoul" - they would need to look into it regardless of where we meet.
- the non permit holders can look into it.... there may not be a school at all nearby, after all that is there responsibility to make sure they follow the law. :)

Just saying....

k31

weds. the 15th of december @ 7:00 PM golden corall in west valey

any objections
i am on a winter lay right now so spending for the moment is at a minimal
west valley is about 45 mins from us we live outside tooele i am not sure where every body is located but i heard of the recent news about open carry in west valley with a big enough group and a pleasant atmosphere it shouldn't be a problem it is also for the most party would think about the middle grounds for most of us here
there wont be a party room open but i was told that we can have our own part of the dinning room it is a separate bills wish i could afford every one but maybe ill ill hit the lotto next month :D
the reservation was for about 25 people i had to guess how many and i wasn't sure of our numbers if we are full up to 25 then i suppose just say your not with the group and mingle on over cant miss us we have guns:)
please RSVP (always wanted a reason to say that) so we can get a head count
and if i want i can change the name to o.c.s.u. open carry society of utah sounds like a school gathering :) just not sure if they would say no after they hear what we are about some things are better left unmentioned and not asked

k31

i was afraid of falling with firearms :D sorry not that i dont like to skate but i thought some of us might be older and arthritic and osteoporosisish and then just chancing a fall with a weapon kind makes me nervous
it would be fun and maybe families could hook up and go and take the kids with us
but i thought sitting and food would go over easier to get the best turn out

Utah_Patriot

Galivan center would be great I like this Idea and they have a fire pit to stay warm. Their is a star bucks and a carl's junior close by.

I think this would be a fun activity and vote yes

swillden

just chancing a fall with a weapon kind makes me nervous
Because you're afraid the lump of metal being slammed into your body would injure you, or because you're afraid the gun will "go off"?

If it's the latter, and your pistol is reasonably modern, in good condition and carried with the trigger well-protected, there really shouldn't be any concern. But if you want to be doubly sure, you could carry with an empty chamber.

If it's the former, perhaps you could carry your gun in a different place, where landing on it wouldn't be likely to do you harm. Or maybe you should just watch :)

k31

i only carry 1 of two i have a nickl matte finish 1911 that i cherish to much to want to roll around on the ice with the 5" barrel is hard to keep covered and it also has lost of pokey angles
and then i have a sw sigma 40 that is very nice but made of plastic:(
from what i know about cold plastic is it can get brittle
i like the idea of just a holster