• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fed Gov't found VA Tech violated Federal Law in 07 Shootings

curtiswr

Emails and text messages don't stop mass shootings. I wonder how many years of finger-pointing it will take before they realize "hey, a legally armed student or faculty member could have stopped this."

Last edited:

PT111

The biggest think I get out of that atrticle is just the reaffirmination that the Department of Education should be done away with completely. That is more of a hinderance to the education of the nation than any other single entity in existance. All the cries about zero tolerance and similar can be traced directly to the DOE. :cuss::banghead::cuss::cuss:

palerider116

When you put your life in someone else's hands, you take a risk. The VT tragedy is another lesson that gun control is a dismal failure. A school policy didn't deliver those people from harm. VT PD was ill prepared for such a situation.

Be armed. Know your surroundings - where the cover is and where the exits are located. Train often. You don't rise to the occasion, you revert back to your highest level of training.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Emails and text messages don't stop mass shootings. I wonder how many years of finger-pointing it will take before they realize "hey, a legally armed student or faculty member could have stopped this."

As long as it takes to do some major house cleaning, actually.

Or the loss of a couple of major law suits. :shocker:

TFred

These recent posts raised the question in my mind: Did any of the Virginai Tech victims hold a Concealed Handgun Permit? While we all know the media is quick to jump on reporting any criminal who might have had one, I'm just as sure that even if they had been aware of any of the victims who held one, they would never have reported it.

I read through a couple of the old news reports on the victims, and while I did not find a report that any held a permit, here is what I did find:

The 32 victims fall into these categories:

Students, under 21 years old: 12

Students, 21 years or older: 14

Faculty or Staff, 21 years or older: 5

The remaining victim was a student whose age was not reported.

This means it is quite likely that almost 20 of the 32 victims would have been eligible to carry a concealed handgun, had they chosen to go through the process, and had the university allowed them to do so.

It's a sad state indeed, when you must choose the continuation of your academic career over the protection of your life.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Virginia Tech fined $55K for response to shooting

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Tech will have to pay the maximum $55,000 fine for violating federal law by waiting too long to notify students during the 2007 shooting rampage, the U.S. Department of Education announced Tuesday.​
TFred

So now the will raise the student fees a little bit more to cover this "inconvenience."

No personal liability for creating this monumental failure.

2a4all

And for the 32?

That's amazing! A $55,000 fine for providing a killing field for 32 students!

That's $55,000/32 = $1,718.75 for each student.

That's disgusting!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Of course, the real question is whether the classes would have been cancelled if the alert had been issued on time. Meaning would the other 51 dead and wounded have been absent from the killing zone?

Of course, not.

Thus, this fine over a late warning is worse than pointless. It distracts.

A couple dead students were discovered, and nobody imagined a larger killing was coming shortly. Just an isolated crime, I'm sure was the attitude towards the first murders. "Killer is long gone. Nobody hangs around a murder." Unless the killer is planning to stroll across campus and use up the rest of his ammunition.

Last edited:

Shovelhead

IIRC, The fine for late notification also hinged on the fact that some school administrators notified their friends and relatives before they notified the students on campus.

Since most "Mass Shootings" have taken place in "Gun Free Zones", maybe they should be trying to outlaw GFZs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IIRC, The fine for late notification also hinged on the fact that some school administrators notified their friends and relatives before they notified the students on campus.

Since most "Mass Shootings" have taken place in "Gun Free Zones", maybe they should be trying to outlaw GFZs.

Ah yes, they notified their "special" loved ones.

The students and staff must have been less "special."

Don't look for logic in GFZs - there is none.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Another question to ask is, if an alert had been sent out and they "locked down" the campus after the first two murders, would Cho have gone on his killing spree in Harper Hall (dorm) instead if he was "locked" in his dorm?

Hee, hee. Good question. Keep them squirming.

Repeater

New slogan:

[size=+1]When seconds count, text-messages are only a few hours away.[/size]

We will file an appeal. The University's notice was issued to its campus community within a matter of hours. Reasonable people can disagree about what is a timely notice because the DOE doesn't define 'timely notice.'

I issued the notice. We find it really incredulous that we are being fined because the university communications office sent out a communications notice to our university community while its police, who were over investigating a very serious crime, did not have the time to issue that notice.
-- Larry Hincker, Va. Tech mouthpiece

Hincker doesn't understand what timely means:
As we noted before, neither the Department of Education nor the Clery Act defines 'timely.' The university actions on April 16 were well within the standards and practices in effect at that time.

Remember Larry is proud VT banned campus carry. Such a tool.