Thread: Adopt a Newbie

Adopt a Newbie

NOT MY IDEA was stolen from a Wisconsin Topic. - I just thought it was interesting

Adopt a first timer??

I was thinking the other day. Yes, I know that this is dangerous!!

But, we all were a bit...scared, fearful, nervous, the first time we opened carried. So, how about a list of people, by regions, who are willing to "adopt a first timer" to help lessen the fear on their "first time out"?

Just post screen name's of "seasoned carriers" so "first timers" can PM us and set up a time to talk and meet for their "first open carry".

I figured we could have a post a Mod if you where looking for this service. And a mod could match you up or something.

*****EDIT*****

Here will be a list for experienced open carriers willing to help out first timers.

Experienced open carriers, please make a post here with your area (about 50 miles from home) if not listed and the city you live in. This is so the "first timer" can see your post and PM you for help. I will make a single list in this post with all the area's and name's for each area.

Campaign Veteran
    So it's makes me wonder.... "No Offense" I just have to ask, are you a little nervous about Open Carrying? I am assuming you have OC before since you have been a member since March but I don't recall meeting you at a meet, but I could be wrong. There are quite a few members on here, a lot which I haven't met yet.
    The main reason I am asking is because the husband and I do live in the area. if you catch my drift.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

I follow the Wisconsin forum because I used to live there and still have family there. I also used to OC there (with a Utah CFP in my pocket that WI would not honor).

I have also mentored some newbie's to open carry, but my real recommendation is to get together with one of us who is also a Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit instructor and take the course and get the permit. Doing this will take the Federal Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ) problem out of your life and will allow you to open carry in "Condition 1" (round in the chamber). (PM me on that one.) (I typically carry concealed because like many on this forum, I appreciate the element of surprise. I recognize the counter-argument that open carry discourages bad guys who are not armed with a firearm.)
    Last edited by jpm84092; 12-11-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by packingmama View Post
    So it's makes me wonder.... "No Offense" I just have to ask, are you a little nervous about Open Carrying? I am assuming you have OC before since you have been a member since March but I don't recall meeting you at a meet, but I could be wrong. There are quite a few members on here, a lot which I haven't met yet.
    The main reason I am asking is because the husband and I do live in the area. if you catch my drift.
    Lol I open carry every day and have posted some good and bad experences.

Sent from my EVO's tapatalk

I posted it on UCC but I'll post here too. I will adopt a newbie if a newbie desires to be adopted. I live in the north part of Utah County and am often found in salt lake County as well.

So. Utah OC

I am in Washington County and I am more than happy to speak with someone who is curious about openly carrying. Just send a message!

Anyone wanna adopt me?

I live in SLC, and as I mentioned in my mapping app post, I've only OC'd once and am working on getting my CC permit (class this Tuesday night, then Weds to BCI, then the ever-so-long wait). In all reality, it scares the bejeezus out of me that I'm going to violate some law or another and only hurt myself and the OC cause in the process. I grew up in Detroit, and at the time, OC was a very major no-no, so I'm still trying to get that boogeyman out of my brain. Anyone who might feel like helping show me the ropes?

Thanks;
    Mike

I was hoping to join you at the Layton OC/CC lunch, but alas, college won't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopkins View Post
    I live in SLC, and as I mentioned in my mapping app post, I've only OC'd once and am working on getting my CC permit (class this Tuesday night, then Weds to BCI, then the ever-so-long wait). In all reality, it scares the bejeezus out of me that I'm going to violate some law or another and only hurt myself and the OC cause in the process. I grew up in Detroit, and at the time, OC was a very major no-no, so I'm still trying to get that boogeyman out of my brain. Anyone who might feel like helping show me the ropes?

Thanks;
    Mike

I was hoping to join you at the Layton OC/CC lunch, but alas, college won't wait.
    Sure! weekends work great for me.

Hi Mike and Welcome to Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopkins View Post

Thanks;
    Mike

Hi Mike, I can do some outings with you as well. Cabela's is always a good public place to OC with many people around. You can OC at Cabela's but expect the staff to ask you to keep your firearm holstered (they had a negligent discharge at another store when a customer tried out a holster with his finger on the bang-maker).

Jim
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrhoad View Post
    Sure! weekends work great for me.
    Cdrhoad and I took NRA Instructor and BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Instructor courses together and we have also taught together. I am pleased to recommend him as a highly competent and very patient firearms instructor.