Thread: First two encounters

First two encounters

Hello all. I live in the very gun friendly state of Montana. Last September I started to open carry. So far I have had two encounters with people on the street.

My first encounter was with a young man waiting in the queue at a KFC. I seen his eyes meet my sidearm then pop out of his head. "Is that a real gun" he asked. After I explained to him that carrying a gun is legal and his eyes reset, we talked about guns while our orders were being filled. The attendant behind the counter even joined in saying he is a gun owner but didn't know you could open carry. As my first encounter, it was very positive and gave me more confidence in carrying.

Today I had my second encounter with the manager at a Subway. As I walked into the store the manager greeted me and asked "Whats with the pistol?" I almost took another members advice to say "it talks dirty to me and I'm kinky like that." but instead I told him that I carry it everywhere I go. To that he asked if I had a concealed weapons permit. I replied that I did not nor do I require one. As my sandwich was being made we talked about the gun laws and before I left he said he was thinking about starting to carry his own sidearm.

So far the only encounters I have had were positive. I was a little shocked that a fellow gun owners do not know the laws. I'm trying to get the word out

Until now I always CC'd

Being a retired LEO, I have CC'd for about twenty five years. Ret cops can CC in all 50 states if they qualify with the gun in their home state. Since I just moved to Co. from Ga. I will have to qualify here, and I will for travel purposes. Co. is an open carry state but believe me it isn't welcomed and is actively discouraged. My first day OC'ing an old timer asked me the same question "is that a real gun"? Glad I didn't respond hastily because he was a WWII vet and admired my 1911, he too didn't know OC was legal. Lots of Subaru's bike lanes etc here, I may be a little to southern for Colorado, the juries out!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Phew name explained with a name like that I thought you might have been from an inner urban area........

Yea the is that a real gun? Cracks me up. I always chuckle and say "I wouldn't carry a fake one".

I found almost all of my encounters are overwhelmingly positive, people simple are not aware of our rights.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

McX
    good to hear some good news, i realy needed that.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by shotcop View Post
    Being a retired LEO, I have CC'd for about twenty five years. Ret cops can CC in all 50 states if they qualify with the gun in their home state. Since I just moved to Co. from Ga. I will have to qualify here, and I will for travel purposes. Co. is an open carry state but believe me it isn't welcomed and is actively discouraged. My first day OC'ing an old timer asked me the same question "is that a real gun"? Glad I didn't respond hastily because he was a WWII vet and admired my 1911, he too didn't know OC was legal. Lots of Subaru's bike lanes etc here, I may be a little to southern for Colorado, the juries out!
    "I may be a little to southern for Colorado". Never lose your "Southern". It's a gift many don't have.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I moved to Colorado from Texas in 2006. I was told by a former Texan who operates a muffler shop in Colorado Springs that Coloradoans are "different". After 4 years of residency I figure he was right - if only because they come from all over the country.

Given that Obama actually won the Colorado vote - I figure Colorado needs all the Southerners it can attract. I never had any issues while carrying openly displayed in Colorado Springs. My wife was asked once by a store manager whether I was a police officer - to which she replied - "Retired" (because I am retired)- to which the apparently "comforted" Mgr responded - "Oh- How nice - for YOU."

given Obama

I couldn't shake the "southern" if I wanted to, which I don't! From Texa huh? The one thing I have learned about Colorado is that they are opposed to Texas most of the time! Hoping to meet other gun owners around the Alamosa area. No grits, no sweet tea, but I'm acclimating o-k. Also no woods, trees etc. Looking for a place to shoot, I'm on 40 acres but there's no backstop. Oh well I'll figure it out, just miss my backyard range in Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by shotcop View Post
    You've mentioned this on the CO forum, as well. What do you base "it isn't welcomed (OC)" in Colorado on? Have you ever been to the Springs or its El Paso County suburbs? OC is a non-issue here both in the city and definitely out in the country. The same applies to the Longmont-Ft. Collins area. Where, specifically, have you had an issue with OC? Not to say there aren't too damned many liberals in the state--Denver/Boulder, but the vast majority of the state, area-wise, is as pro gun as anywhere I've lived--and that includes NH, VA and TX--all noted pro-gun states.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    t
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    You've mentioned this on the CO forum, as well. What do you base "it isn't welcomed (OC)" in Colorado on? Have you ever been to the Springs or its El Paso County suburbs? OC is a non-issue here both in the city and definitely out in the country. The same applies to the Longmont-Ft. Collins area. Where, specifically, have you had an issue with OC? Not to say there aren't too damned many liberals in the state--Denver/Boulder, but the vast majority of the state, area-wise, is as pro gun as anywhere I've lived--and that includes NH, VA and TX--all noted pro-gun states.
    Actually better than Texas since they don't allow OC.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)