• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Martin Luther King & Gun Permit

Beretta-m9

snip

"incidentally, Alabama's refusal to grant King a carry permit is yet another example of why discretionary government permitting is a bad idea. Any discretionary system is prone to abuse and corruption. Today Alabama and most other states are shall-issue, which means they're required to issue carry permits to anyone who legally qualifies. That's the same practice used for most other government permitting - driver's licenses, marriage permits, voter registration, etc., and is the only way to avoid abuse"

Why should I need a permit at all ? I can already own and carry a weapon without any sort of permit. Just another control method.

eye95

snip

"incidentally, Alabama's refusal to grant King a carry permit is yet another example of why discretionary government permitting is a bad idea. Any discretionary system is prone to abuse and corruption. Today Alabama and most other states are shall-issue, which means they're required to issue carry permits to anyone who legally qualifies. That's the same practice used for most other government permitting - driver's licenses, marriage permits, voter registration, etc., and is the only way to avoid abuse"

Why should I need a permit at all ? I can already own and carry a weapon without any sort of permit. Just another control method.

Alabama is a may-issue State.

Beretta-m9

Alabama is a may-issue State.

yes but incase you haven't noticed we are posting in the wisconsin forum. if your refering to the highlighted red area you may want to take notice to the "snip"

Last edited:

eye95

I am merely correcting a fact, whatever its source. Nothing more. Nothing less. I hope you are down with folks having the correct facts.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
When I got my Alabama carry permit wayyyyy back when I was 21 I took all four handguns I owned to City Hall in Talladega in a brown paper bag. I plopped them down on the counter and the woman behind the counter read and wrote each serial number on the back of my "license" for concealed carry. Wow, have times changed! No one batted an eye at me and I didn't feel weird or strange or "bad" for carrying my handguns in City Hall.

As for "May Issue" I know of no one who can legally possess a firearm that was ever turned down for a CCW in Alabama. Of course I cannot speak for MLK that was way before my time and very, very WRONG.

Alabama should join other forward states such as Florida and make it SHALL ISSUE. Of course a person can always open carry in Alabama within the restrictions of state law.

LR Yote 312

Just outta curiosity and not meant to derail the thread but does anybody know the distance of the shot the killed MLK...Tried searching it out but all I get is second story window....and not feet or yards.

LR Yote

oak1971

Never knew King was pro 2A, at least for a while.:cool: Too bad he was denied the use of one. Still, it's hard to beat a rifle with a pistol, especially when the rifle fires first.

KBCraig

Never knew King was pro 2A, at least for a while.:cool:
I don't think he was ever against it, he just opted for a different strategy.

Gandhi did the same. Several times he spoke favorably of arms and revolution, and opined in his autobiography that, "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."

But as a tactic, he knew (and MLK came to understand) that violence would ultimately cost their movements more than it gained. Not them personally, but their greater objectives: the movement for liberty.

KBCraig

Just outta curiosity and not meant to derail the thread but does anybody know the distance of the shot the killed MLK...Tried searching it out but all I get is second story window....and not feet or yards.
I didn't find an exact answer, but you can look at this diagram, and compare it to a google map, and see that it's about 75-80 yards. Typical deer hunting range, nothing special about the shot.