Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sacramento SWAT is called before confirmation of hostility

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Thumbs down Sacramento SWAT is called before confirmation of hostility

    http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,6409002.story

    I'm sure a lot of you heard about the alleged gunman in Sacramento on Friday. For five hours or so SWAT teams and police officers blocked off a portion od Downtown on an unconfirmed report of a man with a gun in a parking structure. Many people were not even allowed to go the their offices, but were told to stay in the lobbies of their respective buildings and my cousin was in one of them. More were not allow to go to work or travel in the area that normally contained high amounts of traffic. Two things: one the guy was eventually found in a different location, and two, carried only a pellet rifle.
    Yes pellet rifles can seem real, but the SWAT never did confirm the guy existed and he wasn't even in the same area... Seems to me a error was made that could have been costly to an alreadt ailing city and State (CHP also responded).

  2. #2
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231
    I had heard the reports on Talk 650 KSTE and it crossed my mind that this might be the result. Its easy to armchair quarterback the response as we are not filled in on all the details of what was reported, but I would assume that if you are sending SWAT downtown and closing off the streets that the threat is serious and credible. Some responsibility of this reaction can be attributed to the culture that assumes that if you have a firearm (particularly a rifle and particularly in an urban setting) that you mean to do harm with it. Im not sure if this obligates police to react as they did.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45
    I will give the LEAs in the area some credit since it would seem they were familiar with the person suspected an were aware of a possible mental illness, so their reactions were not completely unwarranted.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Some responsibility of this reaction can be attributed to the culture that assumes that if you have a firearm (particularly a rifle and particularly in an urban setting) that you mean to do harm with it.
    Now you tell me

  5. #5
    Regular Member CenTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,,
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooelf View Post
    http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,6409002.story

    I'm sure a lot of you heard about the alleged gunman in Sacramento on Friday. For five hours or so SWAT teams and police officers blocked off a portion od Downtown on an unconfirmed report of a man with a gun in a parking structure. Many people were not even allowed to go the their offices, but were told to stay in the lobbies of their respective buildings and my cousin was in one of them. More were not allow to go to work or travel in the area that normally contained high amounts of traffic. Two things: one the guy was eventually found in a different location, and two, carried only a pellet rifle.
    Yes pellet rifles can seem real, but the SWAT never did confirm the guy existed and he wasn't even in the same area... Seems to me a error was made that could have been costly to an alreadt ailing city and State (CHP also responded).
    My pellet rifle is "real." If I pump it ten times, it seems more than real. It could kill if shot at the right place on the human body...say, for instance, through the eye.
    The words of a tyrant: I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.

    Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    And yesterday evening there was a gentleman strolling down the sidewalk with a high-powered rifle (used for deer hunting). Did anyone run screaming? Nope, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, his blaze orange vest and hat advised you of what he had been doing.

    Of course, as in real estate, it's location, location, location. This was in a town of 441 in rural Pennsylvania.

  7. #7
    Regular Member CenTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,,
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    And yesterday evening there was a gentleman strolling down the sidewalk with a high-powered rifle (used for deer hunting). Did anyone run screaming? Nope, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, his blaze orange vest and hat advised you of what he had been doing.

    Of course, as in real estate, it's location, location, location. This was in a town of 441 in rural Pennsylvania.
    That's why I've always thought the loonies lived in big cities. The bigger the town (city) more people that only see MWAG. My town is becoming one as it continues to draw people from the S.F. Bay area and L.A.

    Hey, maybe we should start wearing bright, red-white-blue vest to identify us as Bill of Rights loyalists. Caps with the 13 star flag to match.
    The words of a tyrant: I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.

    Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
    My pellet rifle is "real." If I pump it ten times, it seems more than real. It could kill if shot at the right place on the human body...say, for instance, through the eye.
    Good point, after all many objects turned projectile can kill in the right location with the right velocity.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
    That's why I've always thought the loonies lived in big cities. The bigger the town (city) more people that only see MWAG. My town is becoming one as it continues to draw people from the S.F. Bay area and L.A.

    Hey, maybe we should start wearing bright, red-white-blue vest to identify us as Bill of Rights loyalists. Caps with the 13 star flag to match.
    Yeah; Like that wouldn't end up being villainized the way TEA parties, Minutemen, etc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •