• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sacramento SWAT is called before confirmation of hostility

Gooelf

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-sacramento-standoff-developing-121010,0,6409002.story

I'm sure a lot of you heard about the alleged gunman in Sacramento on Friday. For five hours or so SWAT teams and police officers blocked off a portion od Downtown on an unconfirmed report of a man with a gun in a parking structure. Many people were not even allowed to go the their offices, but were told to stay in the lobbies of their respective buildings and my cousin was in one of them. More were not allow to go to work or travel in the area that normally contained high amounts of traffic. Two things: one the guy was eventually found in a different location, and two, carried only a pellet rifle.
Yes pellet rifles can seem real, but the SWAT never did confirm the guy existed and he wasn't even in the same area... Seems to me a error was made that could have been costly to an alreadt ailing city and State (CHP also responded).

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I had heard the reports on Talk 650 KSTE and it crossed my mind that this might be the result. Its easy to armchair quarterback the response as we are not filled in on all the details of what was reported, but I would assume that if you are sending SWAT downtown and closing off the streets that the threat is serious and credible. Some responsibility of this reaction can be attributed to the culture that assumes that if you have a firearm (particularly a rifle and particularly in an urban setting) that you mean to do harm with it. Im not sure if this obligates police to react as they did.

Gooelf

I will give the LEAs in the area some credit since it would seem they were familiar with the person suspected an were aware of a possible mental illness, so their reactions were not completely unwarranted.

CenTex

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-sacramento-standoff-developing-121010,0,6409002.story

I'm sure a lot of you heard about the alleged gunman in Sacramento on Friday. For five hours or so SWAT teams and police officers blocked off a portion od Downtown on an unconfirmed report of a man with a gun in a parking structure. Many people were not even allowed to go the their offices, but were told to stay in the lobbies of their respective buildings and my cousin was in one of them. More were not allow to go to work or travel in the area that normally contained high amounts of traffic. Two things: one the guy was eventually found in a different location, and two, carried only a pellet rifle.
Yes pellet rifles can seem real, but the SWAT never did confirm the guy existed and he wasn't even in the same area... Seems to me a error was made that could have been costly to an alreadt ailing city and State (CHP also responded).

My pellet rifle is "real." If I pump it ten times, it seems more than real. It could kill if shot at the right place on the human body...say, for instance, through the eye.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
And yesterday evening there was a gentleman strolling down the sidewalk with a high-powered rifle (used for deer hunting). Did anyone run screaming? Nope, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, his blaze orange vest and hat advised you of what he had been doing.

Of course, as in real estate, it's location, location, location. This was in a town of 441 in rural Pennsylvania.

CenTex

And yesterday evening there was a gentleman strolling down the sidewalk with a high-powered rifle (used for deer hunting). Did anyone run screaming? Nope, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, his blaze orange vest and hat advised you of what he had been doing.

Of course, as in real estate, it's location, location, location. This was in a town of 441 in rural Pennsylvania.

That's why I've always thought the loonies lived in big cities. The bigger the town (city) more people that only see MWAG. My town is becoming one as it continues to draw people from the S.F. Bay area and L.A.

Hey, maybe we should start wearing bright, red-white-blue vest to identify us as Bill of Rights loyalists. Caps with the 13 star flag to match. :D

Gooelf

My pellet rifle is "real." If I pump it ten times, it seems more than real. It could kill if shot at the right place on the human body...say, for instance, through the eye.

Good point, after all many objects turned projectile can kill in the right location with the right velocity.

AyatollahGondola

That's why I've always thought the loonies lived in big cities. The bigger the town (city) more people that only see MWAG. My town is becoming one as it continues to draw people from the S.F. Bay area and L.A.

Hey, maybe we should start wearing bright, red-white-blue vest to identify us as Bill of Rights loyalists. Caps with the 13 star flag to match. :D

Yeah; Like that wouldn't end up being villainized the way TEA parties, Minutemen, etc