• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got told at target to leave or put the gun up

hydroxside

That's a load of sh t the manger came up to me and said that their was some one made a complant and felt unsafe and he said that he looked up the rules for having a gun he said that if a person felt unsafe so I had to put it up or leave what would y'all have done.

sultan62

That's a load of sh t the manger came up to me and said that their was some one made a complant and felt unsafe and he said that he looked up the rules for having a gun he said that if a person felt unsafe so I had to put it up or leave what would y'all have done.

I would calmly have asked him if it was a local or corporate rule, then I would have gotten his name, asked to speak to a supervisor if there was one there above him, talked to that person if able, and left if not.

I would then go on to pursue it at the local and corporate levels. However, at the time, if I was presented with the choice of put it up or leave and was unable to convince the manager that discomfort of one party does not warrant the change of behavior of another, then I would have left.

edrolee

personally i would have told the target manager "i'll leave if you want me to but it's up to you you can POSSIBLY lose the one customer who was nervous over me LEGALLY carrying a firearm in your store or you can WITH CERTAINTY, LOSE ME as a customer........ now i don't know about the one person who was nervous about a US CITIZEN legally exercising his FEDERAL AND STATE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS but I am in your store several times a week and spend on average SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars here with you that i'm SURE WALMART will be glad to have if you no longer want my business......... SOOOOO the choice is yours either LOSE a LOYAL customer whom spends THOUSANDS of his hard earned DOLLARS with you or tell another customer who you may or MAY NOT lose that you will not INFRINGE UPON the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS of another customer whom is not breaking any laws"

retail is all about the MONEY especially this time of year

hydroxside

He said that he looked up the rules and said he understood but had to think of the safety of his customers first and I told him that I was carrying a lot of money on me and I was protecting my self and my family and I told him that I didn't like his shirt does that mean he has to change shirts or leave he said he understood what I was saying and he hated doing it. So once again I put it up and told my wife let's pay for ouur stuff and we left I will never go back to target ever again and I hope y'all won't either it was the one in high point next to the mall man I'm so pissed off about this its retarted

edrolee

about 5 years ago at the target in greenville me and my wife were walking in when a guy in sweatpants and a t-shirt went in ahead of us and as he was just about to walk in the door he put away a simi auto mexican style (was carrying in his hand unholstered from his car to the door)...... as he walked in one of the managers turned to the target security guy and said something about the gun, the security guy told the manager that there was nothing he could do b/c the guy was completely legal to carry open like that in NC

so while i think the manager at that target screwed up badly, and i wouldn't have spent one penny there (would have just left my cart and walked out) i've seen the target in greenville back up a person's gun rights (even though the guy looked questionable)

sultan62

I wouldn't have bought any items-I would simply have left and walked out. Unless of course you absolutely needed to get the items then.

The real question is, "What do you plan to do about it now?"

CenTex

I wouldn't have bought any items-I would simply have left and walked out. Unless of course you absolutely needed to get the items then.

The real question is, "What do you plan to do about it now?"

+1

rotorhead

He said that he looked up the rules and said he understood but had to think of the safety of his customers first and I told him that I was carrying a lot of money on me and I was protecting my self and my family and I told him that I didn't like his shirt does that mean he has to change shirts or leave he said he understood what I was saying and he hated doing it. So once again I put it up and told my wife let's pay for ouur stuff and we left I will never go back to target ever again and I hope y'all won't either it was the one in high point next to the mall man I'm so pissed off about this its retarted

Have you caught on yet, Hydro?

Are you starting to see how standing up for your rights is important and how the more you let others stomp on them the more they will take advantage of you?

This is another example of having to decide between making a concession at the expense of your safety to make others feel better. Is it getting old yet?

My friend, take some time and read from others here. See how they've handled similar situations and for the love of pizza stop giving in to these people that constantly degrade your ability to protect yourself and your family.

:)

Racer X

I was in the same Target a few hours earlier with my girlfriend. I've been aware of Target's anti-gun policy for a while thanks to other posts on the forums. I normally wouldn't shop at Target because of this, but we were looking for something specific that Walmart didn't have. When I left the house knowing we were going to Target I decided to carry concealed. Sorry it happened to you. I was explaining to my girlfriend that Target didn't like people like me while we were walking through the door.

hydroxside

Well what can I do I know what target gonna say when I call corp they will say the same stuff that the manager said to me. I know that for a fact. But my wife and I where xmas shopping for our kids and we found stuff we couuldnt find any where else so that's why we bought stuff but I will tell u this if I. Ever go back inside target again I will have a CHP so if their is a person their that is so afraid for their safety I can just cover it up. And also I'm trying to become LE so if the police would have been called and I got in trouble then their went that dream so that is the main reason why I backked down and put it away . If I wasn't tring to becomed LE I would have told him no so........... what really gets me about this if I was LE and just had my badge on the other side of my hip their would have been no problems and my wife agreed about that so..... I'm still so pissed that nothing will become of this

Last edited:

sultan62

You say that you know for a fact corporate will tell you the same thing as a manager. How do you know this?

Also, please clarify the following:

If I wasn't tring to becomed LE I would have told him no

What exactly do you mean when you say you would have told him no?

jerz_subbie

Well what can I do I know what target gonna say when I call corp they will say the same stuff that the manager said to me. I know that for a fact. But my wife and I where xmas shopping for our kids and we found stuff we couuldnt find any where else so that's why we bought stuff but I will tell u this if I. Ever go back inside target again I will have a CHP so if their is a person their that is so afraid for their safety I can just cover it up. And also I'm trying to become LE so if the police would have been called and I got in trouble then their went that dream so that is the main reason why I backked down and put it away . If I wasn't tring to becomed LE I would have told him no so........... what really gets me about this if I was LE and just had my badge on the other side of my hip their would have been no problems and my wife agreed about that so..... I'm still so pissed that nothing will become of this

Don't go there again. It's their store/rules. They're willing to lose a customer.
Where are you going to shop now? We were loyal target customers. We're going across the street.
Oh and punctuation is your friend ;)

Sorry, but that was tough to read.

+1 to the question: what do you mean, if you weren't trying to be LE you would've said "no"? You would've told the mgr to go pound sand and continued to shop?

Sc0tt

I make it clear when I talk to mangers about putting my gun in the car.

If I leave to put my gun in the car neither I nor my business is coming back.

When they push the point about scaring or making customers feel uncomfortable I always use the same methodology, If I am not breaking any laws or any store policies then why does 1 customers felling of security triumph mine. If they are offended then I spot something I am offended by and ask them if they would take it down or ask that customer to leave. (since that seems to be the way things are working at the current moment)

I make sure to never insinuate that I am not going to leave I make it seem like I am more than happy to becuase if they sence restiance then they seem to want to just let the police deal with it.

rotorhead

Well, first of all you can't tell them no. It's their business and they do have the right to ask you to leave or put it in your car. Please don't make the mistake of arguing with them or doing something illegal. Once they ask you to take it out, you can't tell them no and drive on. You could risk getting charged with trespassing, along with whatever other charges LEOs want to tack on.

One of the things you can do is complain to corporate offices about your treatment. Another is to make sure you never support a business like that again by finding more accommodating merchants.

Don't risk your possible future career by doing something illegal like saying no. There's other ways to deal with situations like this :)

smlawrence

Well, first of all you can't tell them no. It's their business and they do have the right to ask you to leave or put it in your car. Please don't make the mistake of arguing with them or doing something illegal. Once they ask you to take it out, you can't tell them no and drive on. You could risk getting charged with trespassing, along with whatever other charges LEOs want to tack on.

One of the things you can do is complain to corporate offices about your treatment. Another is to make sure you never support a business like that again by finding more accommodating merchants.

Don't risk your possible future career by doing something illegal like saying no. There's other ways to deal with situations like this :)

+1!

hydroxside

Yeah y'all arebright no would have gotten me into trouble but I will call their corp. Office and file a complant with them about the rightss I have and what else should I say?

hydroxside

I guess by me meaning no is buy and standing down so quick and not just leaving right then and their I really don't know what I ment by no I just didn't know what to do about my rights in thisss wonderful couuntry been removed so easly be someone and how they feel u know give me some advice please......

smlawrence

I guess by me meaning no is buy and standing down so quick and not just leaving right then and their I really don't know what I ment by no I just didn't know what to do about my rights in thisss wonderful couuntry been removed so easly be someone and how they feel u know give me some advice please......

We gotta get ya to slow down when typing and proof-read your post before submitting it to make it easier on us to read and understand. It will help aide in getting you assistance.

The only advice I have is to either be respectful during a conversation such as the one you were having inside of Target with the Mgr. or just leave as being disrespectful is very easy to do when an Ignorant Manager is disrespectful to you and will get you nowhere. Conduct yourself appropriately because you aren't just representing yourself but ALL OC'ers when having these discussions. The same goes for when you get on the phone with Corporate, be pleasant and respectful, and you might get a bit further and leave a better taste for an OC'er in their mouth. Good Luck.

MKEgal

1) Take a deep breath or three.

2) Poke around on the OCDO site and see what other people have done in similar situations. Some made phone calls, some wrote letters or emails. Some got the company to see reason & stop infringing on their rights, other companies kept their "go pound sand, we don't want your money" attitude.

3) Decide on the salient points of the encounter, and two or three good logical fact-based reasons why the company should not turn away customers who are legally carrying.

4) Come up with the basic text for a letter or email & post here, so we can give you some help with wording & such. Hopefully your English will improve as you calm down a bit, but right now your posts are hard to read for all the errors & sometimes doesn't make much sense. Improving your writing will also help if you do become a cop; they write lots of reports, and those are sometimes used in legal cases, so they need to be clearly written.