Thread: First time

First time

I open carried for the first time tonight.

I went to grab some taco bell, and decided I would OC while I was there. I pulled up, removed my already holstered Sig from its container. Loaded it, and placed it on my hip. I went inside, and the manager was the one taking my order. She didn't even notice I had it until after I paid. She didn't say anything, hut I could definitely see her, and the other employees eyeballing it. I grabbed my food, and left. I went back to my truck, removed the holster from my hip, and unloaded it. Placed it back into its case, locked it and left.

It was actually very liberating to do it. The part I was most nervous at was removing it from, and placing it into my truck. I was worried someone would see me loading it, and would call the police.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Congrats. That was my biggest fear before I had a CPL, when I had to load/unload at my trunk. Taco bell was also one of my first OC adventures. Now I never leave home without it and the only time I CC is when it is too cold to not wear a coat.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Banned
    Its not that big of a deal, happened to me at an Arbys, the cop took my ID out to his car, and let me go sit down and eat while he did his thing. I was never disarmed. When are you going to get your CPL?

I hope to get my cpl soon. There's a small hurdle I have to work out before I can submit my paperwork. If all goes well, I hope to submit the paperwork by the end of the month.

Side question: the employee who filled out my purchase permit said I have to carry the pp with the pistol for 30 days. Is there any truth to this?

Banned
    Are you familiar with transport laws and gun free zones?

I can't quote MCLs off the top of my head, but yes.

The first time I OCed was amazing, It was at a walmart and was kicked out. Came back the next day and every say since with no issues I hope Michigan follows along the same lines as Alaska Arizona and Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
    I can't quote MCLs off the top of my head, but yes.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

I hope to get my cpl soon.

Welcome aboard! Be especially careful, while OC'ing, to avoid going onto the property of a businesses that doesn't appear to have anything to do with alcohol sales or consumption, or actually is not in the business of alcohol sales or consumption, but has a liquor license anyway. This is one of the trickiest "land mines" in the law, for folks OC'ing without CPLs.

Good luck!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Banned
    Dan is right, he knows what he is doing.

Use this link to find laws you need. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...aspx?page=home

These two laws are very important to you. 750.234d, and 750.231a

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Welcome aboard! Be especially careful, while OC'ing, to avoid going onto the property of a businesses that doesn't appear to have anything to do with alcohol sales or consumption, or actually is not in the business of alcohol sales or consumption, but has a liquor license anyway. This is one of the trickiest "land mines" in the law, for folks OC'ing without CPLs.

Good luck!
    Here is a link http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/ That will help you to know who is licensed and who is not!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

The law states you do have to keep your purchase permit/registration paperwork on you for 30 days. This allows for the time it takes to get your pistol in the computer system. Otherwise if your pistol is ran through LEIN in the first few weeks you own it, it may not show up as registered(a big nightmare), so having the hard copy on you saves yourself from possibly going to jail.

Cool it get easier each time

Welcome Aboard, & Congratulations;

A Wayne County Task Force member (LEO) suggested that I share with my friends that to be on the safe side and keep it for 60 days on your person, especially traveling thru Big Motor and southwestern Wayne County.

Carry On
    "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
    ,,, So Mote Be

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.-- JC

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. I appreciate it!

-Harry

Side question: the employee who filled out my purchase permit said I have to carry the pp with the pistol for 30 days. Is there any truth to this?

Yes, it can take up to 30 days for the info on your pistol to get circulated through the system. By keeping the copy of the PP with you, while carrying it, you'll be able to prove it's "legal."

This is pretty much standard advice you'll get from everyone. Usually.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    The law states you do have to keep your purchase permit/registration paperwork on you for 30 days. This allows for the time it takes to get your pistol in the computer system. Otherwise if your pistol is ran through LEIN in the first few weeks you own it, it may not show up as registered(a big nightmare), so having the hard copy on you saves yourself from possibly going to jail.
    Or, at the very least, saves you from having it confiscated.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

if you ever want to OC around hall road area, drop me a PM and we can set up a time! stay safe and carry on!

oh yea and WELCOME to ocdo! have you been to the MOC website? check it out,

shaun
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    if you ever want to OC around hall road area, drop me a PM and we can set up a time! stay safe and carry on!

oh yea and WELCOME to ocdo! have you been to the MOC website? check it out,

shaun
    Thanks for the welcome, I'll check out MOC.

I'll actually be moving out that way in January. I've been looking, but are there any good (cheap) ranges out that way?
    Last edited by Harry25; 12-13-2010 at 02:17 AM.