• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time

Harry25

I open carried for the first time tonight.

I went to grab some taco bell, and decided I would OC while I was there. I pulled up, removed my already holstered Sig from its container. Loaded it, and placed it on my hip. I went inside, and the manager was the one taking my order. She didn't even notice I had it until after I paid. She didn't say anything, hut I could definitely see her, and the other employees eyeballing it. I grabbed my food, and left. I went back to my truck, removed the holster from my hip, and unloaded it. Placed it back into its case, locked it and left.

It was actually very liberating to do it. The part I was most nervous at was removing it from, and placing it into my truck. I was worried someone would see me loading it, and would call the police.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

fozzy71

Congrats. That was my biggest fear before I had a CPL, when I had to load/unload at my trunk. Taco bell was also one of my first OC adventures. Now I never leave home without it and the only time I CC is when it is too cold to not wear a coat. ;)

Harry25

I hope to get my cpl soon. There's a small hurdle I have to work out before I can submit my paperwork. If all goes well, I hope to submit the paperwork by the end of the month.

Harry25

Side question: the employee who filled out my purchase permit said I have to carry the pp with the pistol for 30 days. Is there any truth to this?

Kloutier

The first time I OCed was amazing, It was at a walmart and was kicked out. Came back the next day and every say since with no issues :D I hope Michigan follows along the same lines as Alaska Arizona and Utah.

DanM

I hope to get my cpl soon.

Welcome aboard! Be especially careful, while OC'ing, to avoid going onto the property of a businesses that doesn't appear to have anything to do with alcohol sales or consumption, or actually is not in the business of alcohol sales or consumption, but has a liquor license anyway. This is one of the trickiest "land mines" in the law, for folks OC'ing without CPLs.

Good luck!

autosurgeon

Welcome aboard! Be especially careful, while OC'ing, to avoid going onto the property of a businesses that doesn't appear to have anything to do with alcohol sales or consumption, or actually is not in the business of alcohol sales or consumption, but has a liquor license anyway. This is one of the trickiest "land mines" in the law, for folks OC'ing without CPLs.

Good luck!

Here is a link http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/ That will help you to know who is licensed and who is not!

scot623

The law states you do have to keep your purchase permit/registration paperwork on you for 30 days. This allows for the time it takes to get your pistol in the computer system. Otherwise if your pistol is ran through LEIN in the first few weeks you own it, it may not show up as registered(a big nightmare), so having the hard copy on you saves yourself from possibly going to jail.

Master Control

it get easier each time

Welcome Aboard, & Congratulations;

A Wayne County Task Force member (LEO) suggested that I share with my friends that to be on the safe side and keep it for 60 days on your person, especially traveling thru Big Motor and southwestern Wayne County.

Carry On

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Side question: the employee who filled out my purchase permit said I have to carry the pp with the pistol for 30 days. Is there any truth to this?

Yes, it can take up to 30 days for the info on your pistol to get circulated through the system. By keeping the copy of the PP with you, while carrying it, you'll be able to prove it's "legal."

This is pretty much standard advice you'll get from everyone. Usually. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The law states you do have to keep your purchase permit/registration paperwork on you for 30 days. This allows for the time it takes to get your pistol in the computer system. Otherwise if your pistol is ran through LEIN in the first few weeks you own it, it may not show up as registered(a big nightmare), so having the hard copy on you saves yourself from possibly going to jail.
Or, at the very least, saves you from having it confiscated. :exclaim:

NHCGRPR45

if you ever want to OC around hall road area, drop me a PM and we can set up a time! stay safe and carry on!

oh yea and WELCOME to ocdo! have you been to the MOC website? check it out,

shaun

Harry25

if you ever want to OC around hall road area, drop me a PM and we can set up a time! stay safe and carry on!

oh yea and WELCOME to ocdo! have you been to the MOC website? check it out,

shaun

Thanks for the welcome, I'll check out MOC.

I'll actually be moving out that way in January. I've been looking, but are there any good (cheap) ranges out that way?

Last edited: