• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry meet-up supporting Skidmark - Jan 4th 2011

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some have indicated their desire/plans to attend Skidmark's hearing at 9:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 at Surry Courthouse. A large contingent would be nice - suggest arriving earlier.

In order to maintain proper decorum and appearance, certain rules and
policies are prudent. The information will be transmitted to those that
notify me by PM of their intention to be there.

Directions

Rear of building - Sheriff's Department

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In case anybody needs to ask, YES I will be there.

I also plan to have a nice meal at Surrey House Restaurant.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'd like to add a little here.
For several years I've been concerned about the participation individual gun owners have that show the power and solidarity we should have.

Granted, we fight among ourselves but when the chips are down, we put our differences aside and let the General Assembly know that we mean business.

This problem with Skidmark has renewed my faith in that.

If we want our message to go out loud and clear, now is the perfect time to show it. Much of this could have been avoided by requiring the General Assembly to hold Law Enforcement accountable for their actions. Not all cops are bad but the ones that are, need to get another job.

VDOT needs to be held responsible also. They have to maintain control over their contractors.

If we don't want TSA style checkpoints every time we turn around, we need to let our representatives know.

There's a street preacher that stands around the Williamsburg historic area giving his end of the world sermon. No one pays much attention to him.

If there were hundreds of them doing it, I might eliminate most four letter words from my daily vocabulary. :(

Numbers count! A trip to Surry would make a big statement.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will be there.

Please do NOT respond publicly on this thread as to your attendance. Instead PM me where I will respond, keep a count and send mass PMs out to those planning to be there. Some public postings will be made so follow this thread.

Keeping the numbers "off line" has certain advantages and there will also be no direct reference to your screen name. We want to make a major impact but not give away our complete playbook.
icon6.png

Last edited:

nemo

PM sent, but I forgot to say the following.
1. Do you want to bring the big orange stickers for us to wear?
2. I am loathe to OC because I will have to leave it in the car (unless the GDC has storage facilities).
3. Something else that has slipped my mind. Getting old: it's hell.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
PM sent, but I forgot to say the following.
1. Do you want to bring the big orange stickers for us to wear?
2. I am loathe to OC because I will have to leave it in the car (unless the GDC has storage facilities).
3. Something else that has slipped my mind. Getting old: it's hell.

Will have GSLs with us.

OC is fine if not entering the courthouse or other secure facility. See PM for storage.

Lot to remember - you are not alone - have lists of my lists. :lol:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I would suggest that, particularly since the courtroom will be too small to accomodate all the people, that some folks be prepared to hang around and observe outside. Especially to keep an eye on the vehicles. Cameras would be a good thing.

Repeater

The War on Cameras

I would suggest that, particularly since the courtroom will be too small to accomodate all the people, that some folks be prepared to hang around and observe outside. Especially to keep an eye on the vehicles. Cameras would be a good thing.

Well, except be careful:

[size=+1]The War on Cameras[/size]
It has never been easier—or more dangerous—to record the police.

Radley Balko from the January 2011 issue of Reason magazine

As citizens increase their scrutiny of law enforcement officials through technologies such as cell phones, miniature cameras, and devices that wirelessly connect to video-sharing sites such as YouTube and LiveLeak, the cops are increasingly fighting back with force and even jail time—and not just in Illinois. Police across the country are using decades-old wiretapping statutes that did not anticipate iPhones or Droids, combined with broadly written laws against obstructing or interfering with law enforcement, to arrest people who point microphones or video cameras at them. Even in the wake of gross injustices, state legislatures have largely neglected the issue.

Be careful out there. You never know what could happen.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have little concern about recording (audio or video) in a public place i.e. parking lot.

General Rules include:

Do nothing that will draw potentially negative attention to yourself, the group or Paul.

No long guns, no "specialty" guns - only properly holstered pistols or revolvers of type typically carried by a majority of people - OC, CC or noC - your preference.

Dress appropriately for the occasion - jeans are OK, but please no camo. No signs or other overt form of demonstration.

Bring your recorder for all interaction outside the courtroom.

No weapons, recorders, cameras or cell phones are allowed in the court. Since I do not hear well in most courtrooms, I will undoubtedly be one of those outside.

Be a good ambassador of our RKBA - be courteous and SMILE a lot. Show the world that we are the good guys.

Just a reminder, do not post your intention on this thread if you plan to be there Jan. 4th

Just send me a PM so that we can keep track of you and coordinate this.

user

Accomplished Advocate
All good advice. But what I'm thinking is that we'll definitely be in hostile territory. I wouldn't be surprised to see unattended tires slashed or some such. I wouldn't want anyone to be attempting to defend "mere property" with deadly force, but I would like to have evidence created. And I also think that there is no question that there will be deliberate attempts to provoke emotional responses. Don't give the a-wholes any reaction that they can use as an excuse.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
All good advice. But what I'm thinking is that we'll definitely be in hostile territory. I wouldn't be surprised to see unattended tires slashed or some such. I wouldn't want anyone to be attempting to defend "mere property" with deadly force, but I would like to have evidence created. And I also think that there is no question that there will be deliberate attempts to provoke emotional responses. Don't give the a-wholes any reaction that they can use as an excuse.

I have been bothered by something concerning folks going down there en masse to support Skid. With a large showing, and with some people armed, do you think there is the possibility that this could backfire against Skid via the jury's impressions? Is there the possibility that more harm than good could come of this?

Not playing devil's advocate, but a valid concern. I would hate to find out down the road that a showing had a negative impact on the outcome of the case.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have been bothered by something concerning folks going down there en masse to support Skid. With a large showing, and with some people armed, do you think there is the possibility that this could backfire against Skid via the jury's impressions? Is there the possibility that more harm than good could come of this?

Not playing devil's advocate, but a valid concern. I would hate to find out down the road that a showing had a negative impact on the outcome of the case.

We're trying to not have discussion in this thread SB. This is more information posting. PLease PM Grapeshot. I may set up a private discussion area elsewhere if needed.

Thanks!