• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry meet-up supporting Skidmark - Jan 4th 2011

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
icon4.png
Surry meet-up supporting Skidmark - Jan 4th

Some have indicated their desire/plans to attend Skidmark's hearing on Jan. 4, 2011 at Surry Courthouse. A large contingent would be nice.

In order to maintain proper decorum and appearance, certain rules and
policies are prudent. The information will be transmitted to those that
notify me by PM of their intention to be there.

Directions

Rear of building - Sheriff's Department

NovaCop

I have been bothered by something concerning folks going down there en masse to support Skid. With a large showing, and with some people armed, do you think there is the possibility that this could backfire against Skid via the jury's impressions? Is there the possibility that more harm than good could come of this?

Not playing devil's advocate, but a valid concern. I would hate to find out down the road that a showing had a negative impact on the outcome of the case.

Is this going before a jury or is this a bench trial? Just curious.

user

Accomplished Advocate
There are no juries in the General District Court. Not any, ever. If you still want a jury trial in a case, whether civil or criminal, you have to take an appeal to Circuit, post a bond, and get a brand new trial ("de novo") as if nothing had already happened. Then you can demand a jury.

The grave injustice for most of the folks who are convicted of crimes in the General District Court is that they don't have enough money to post a bond in order to appeal. The people who are generally on the "usual list of suspects" tend to be those who are already at an extreme disadvantage. Easy pickin's, easy prey, in other words.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are no juries in the General District Court. Not any, ever. If you still want a jury trial in a case, whether civil or criminal, you have to take an appeal to Circuit, post a bond, and get a brand new trial ("de novo") as if nothing had already happened. Then you can demand a jury.

The grave injustice for most of the folks who are convicted of crimes in the General District Court is that they don't have enough money to post a bond in order to appeal. The people who are generally on the "usual list of suspects" tend to be those who are already at an extreme disadvantage. Easy pickin's, easy prey, in other words.

Are you saying that the scales of justice can be better balanced by application of coin of the realm? :p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I realize that being close to Christmas and New Years Day, it's going to be hard for some people to get off. It is important to have a large footprint though. There will be a good many of us on site on the 4th and every other day necessary, but I have an idea for those that can't come and would like to express their support and or indignation.

If you'd like to take a quick video of yourself or just an audio message and have me include it in the finished video, just make one. My preference is MP4 for video and .Wav (48K) for the audio....but I'll work with what you have.

This video will be sent to members of the General Assembly.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Head 'em up and move 'em out!

Looking for a good showing at Surry - PM me of your intent to be there.

AbNo

Does anyone want to see about maybe carpooling?

I'd love to go, and I managed to talk my boss into giving us ALL the day off where I work :dude:, but my Jeep needs WAY too much work before I am willing to take it from Rockingham County all the way down there.

I could get to New Market, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, or Ruckersville, but that's about my limit I'm willing and able to travel, unless I end up with a sudden influx of cash that would better serve us all in Skidsy's defense fund.

If anyone thinks they can help, send me a PM.

Last edited:

HeroHog

If I was still living in Staunton I'd give ya a ride in a hear beat bud. There HAS to be someone in that area who can give ya a ride.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I might bring my own finger to wave..

Appreciate the thought, but please don't.

Does anyone want to see about maybe carpooling?

I'd love to go, and I managed to talk my boss into giving us ALL the day off where I work :dude:, but my Jeep needs WAY too much work before I am willing to take it from Rockingham County all the way down there.

I could get to New Market, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, or Ruckersville, but that's about my limit I'm willing and able to travel, unless I end up with a sudden influx of cash that would better serve us all in Skidsy's defense fund.

If anyone thinks they can help, send me a PM.

That's a great idea - hope someone jumps in - let me know.

USNA69

Why Not To Bring A Foam Finger

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

And why is that?

While we in attendance will recognize that the foam finger relates to Skidmark's "brandishing" charge, those watching local (or wider) media coverage will likely see it as either a stylized "trigger finger" or a football-like cheerleading prop for a bunch of gun totin' tailgaters.

I agree that our gathering of support, both inside and outside of the courtroom, should reinforce the idea that we are responsible, tastefully dressed, and law abiding citizens. Waving around a foam finger or parading with signs or speechifying over bull horns does not promote that visual impression.

Just my $0.02.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

While we in attendance will recognize that the foam finger relates to Skidmark's "brandishing" charge, those watching local (or wider) media coverage will likely see it as either a stylized "trigger finger" or a football-like cheerleading prop for a bunch of gun totin' tailgaters.

I agree that our gathering of support, both inside and outside of the courtroom, should reinforce the idea that we are responsible, tastefully dressed, and law abiding citizens. Waving around a foam finger or parading with signs or speechifying over bull horns does not promote that visual impression.

Just my $0.02.

Both good, fair answers. I am not one to follow "rules" just because someone says I should. I try and fairly look at all sides and make my own choices.

Thanks.