• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cocked and locked Beretta 92??

ramper50@hotmail.com

The only downside to my Beretta M9A1 in my eyes is the fact that I can't carry hammer back and safety on for the single action pull... Has anyone ever modified the safety on their Beretta so that the gun doesn't decock? It looks like all one would have to do is grind down the spot on the saftey that cams down to decock the gun. It also doesn't seem like it would affect the gun in any safety type of way, besides the auto decock feature of course, but I don't mind that
anyway....

So????

mark-in-texas

You could also buy the Taurus equivilent. It's safety is a frame mounted; up for safe, down to fire (like God & Colt intended!!) Or press all the way down to de-cock for DA 1st shot.

ramper50@hotmail.com

After shooting a bunch of pistols and calibers, I decided that I wanted the following things:

a. 9mm- Adequite for SD, low recoil, fun and cheap to shoot
b. All steel (well, not a polymer frame anyway.....)
c. Fullsize

I fell in love with a CZ75B, but I decided to go with Beretta because of the name and reputation, thinking that I
shouldn't have much trouble adjusting to the DA first shot, but 1K rounds of triple tap, decock, triple tap later, I
still just don't like it. I then started thinking about trying to trade it for a CZ75b Tactical (NIB) that a local shop here has, but he'll only give me $300 trade in value for the Beretta and he wants $600 for the CZ. Not to mention I'm completely cash broke right now... That's when I took a look at exactly how the decocker works on the gun and it seems like it would be just perfectly easy and safe to disable, giving me single action carry capability...

And I'm just not convinced of 9mm 1911 reliability...

1245A Defender

more,,,,

upon further study.

If, you grind the decocker away, so the lever doesnt decock any more,
you could carry cocked, But it wont be Locked!

If the hammer was cocked, but the lever was in the safety position,
the firing pin would be shielded from being able to hit the primer of a loaded cartridge,
But the trigger will still release the cocked hammer, if it is accidentally pulled!

my P38/01 is much like the beretta, there only either/or, but you cant have it both ways.
since it was designed for decocking, they did not build in any provision
to block the trigger to sear connection.

maybe what you really need is after market spings and a trigger job.

Im sending your thread to this nice lady, she has knowledge that you seek.

Beretta92FSLady

Last edited:

buster81

After shooting a bunch of pistols and calibers, I decided that I wanted the following things:

a. 9mm- Adequite for SD, low recoil, fun and cheap to shoot
b. All steel (well, not a polymer frame anyway.....)
c. Fullsize

I fell in love with a CZ75B, but I decided to go with Beretta because of the name and reputation, thinking that I
shouldn't have much trouble adjusting to the DA first shot, but 1K rounds of triple tap, decock, triple tap later, I
still just don't like it. I then started thinking about trying to trade it for a CZ75b Tactical (NIB) that a local shop here has, but he'll only give me $300 trade in value for the Beretta and he wants $600 for the CZ. Not to mention I'm completely cash broke right now... That's when I took a look at exactly how the decocker works on the gun and it seems like it would be just perfectly easy and safe to disable, giving me single action carry capability...

And I'm just not convinced of 9mm 1911 reliability...

Sounds like the Browning Hi Power would have been a better fit.

Beretta92FSLady

If you filed it down, then engaged the safety, the firing pin would turn away from the hammer...the handgun wouldn't be cocked and locked, it would be cocked with the safety on. The 92FS has a half-kawk to prevent the hammer from falling completely forward and discharging the firearm...it is recommended you not carry that way.

The 1911 has a couple of safeties on it and the cocked and locked safety is design for it to be literally impossible for the hammer to drop while the safety is engaged...at least that is what I remember reading.

Personally, I just carry my 92FS with safety off. The handgun would have to take a pretty hard hit on its nose, and even then, I don't think it will go off. The hammer for the 92FS FWIU sits right on top of the pin, rather than back away from it.

Either get a 1911, if you desire carrying cocked and locked or stick with what you have and carry with the safety off.

Really, in the heat of the moment that little extra bit of trigger pull is not going to matter much at all. Your draw--fire time is going to be at least as fast as if you were carrying a 1911...I would think it would be faster since you have no type of manipulation of the safety in order to start shooting.

Most of this stuff is just off the top of my head in articles that I have read(e). I am sure some of the 1911 guys would explain the 1911 safety features.

Brian D.

Just to show that when it comes to variants of firearms, one should (almost) never say never. There was a short run of Beretta 92's known as the 'Bilennium' model. All steel, and it featured a frame mounted safety lever which indeed allowed one to carry it cocked and locked in single action mode. The lever did NOT act as a decocker by the way.

I haven't looked up used ones (this model came out several years ago) online but I'd suspect a Bilennium would be a pricey solution to the OP's question.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Just to show that when it comes to variants of firearms, one should (almost) never say never. There was a short run of Beretta 92's known as the 'Bilennium' model. All steel, and it featured a frame mounted safety lever which indeed allowed one to carry it cocked and locked in single action mode. The lever did NOT act as a decocker by the way.

I haven't looked up used ones (this model came out several years ago) online but I'd suspect a Bilennium would be a pricey solution to the OP's question.

Not to mention the 92 Combat, the 92 Steel I, the 92 Stock and the original model 92 from the mid 1970s. All of these models have frame safeties.

Last edited:

architect

I'd suspect a Bilennium would be a pricey solution to the OP's question.

You left out the smiley! The last Billy I saw sell on Gun Broker went for about $1,400 in a Buy Now about 2 min. after it was posted. I think the seller may have left a little on the table. Those who haven't seen one should check out pg 10 of the handgun picture thread in the Beretta forum. I realize they are not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they are simply beautiful.

There's a Steel I on pg. 5 that looks pretty nice too!

I concur with Buster that the BHP sounds more like the pistol the OP is looking for.

Shovelhead

My older model Taurus PT99 has the frame mounted safety and no De-cock position.

Last edited:

Samopal

My local range has a 92FS for rent, it has night sights installed and the decocker function has been removed so it can be carried cocked & locked. I've been meaning to as exactly how the owner went about doing that.

It's safety is a frame mounted; up for safe, down to fire (like God & Colt intended!!)
You mean Browning? :]

CarryHard

i myself loved the beretta 92a1 that you speak of

i shot it at the local range (the italian made one)

but after talking to MANY people i learned that you cannot bet your life on that gun
the 1 thing i like about glocks is they always go BOOM

you can watch videos of people burying / throwing them out of airplanes and all sorts of crap and they always go boom.

simply put
less moving parts = less chance to fail
glock has less parts and paired against the 92 i personally wouldn't bet my life on it

i love both guns
for shooting competiton i would rather take a alloy Italian made 92A1
but for my night stand when a intruder is breaking in

i want to grab my glock and be ready.

MikeTheGreek

The only downside to my Beretta M9A1 in my eyes is the fact that I can't carry hammer back and safety on for the single action pull... Has anyone ever modified the safety on their Beretta so that the gun doesn't decock? It looks like all one would have to do is grind down the spot on the saftey that cams down to decock the gun. It also doesn't seem like it would affect the gun in any safety type of way, besides the auto decock feature of course, but I don't mind that
anyway....

So????

Buy a Taurus! In the 80s, Beretta sold Taurus one of their factories in Brazil. Taurus kept the workers, the machines, and the parts. They started making beretta replicas.

At first, the replicas were exactly the same in every way, but after a while they started upgrading the original Beretta design.

Now, the Taurus PT92 is the same as the Beretta 92, except the PT92's safety is on the frame, which makes it easier to get to, and doesn't automatically decock, you have to push it down further to activate the decocker.

It also has some modifications to the magazine, + a picatinny rail on the front.

I'm buying one of these soon, since I've always been in love with the Beretta, but can't stand the slide mounted safety.

If you want to carry round in the chamber, single action, with safety, I strongly urge you to look into the Taurus PT92, it's a great gun, made very well, and last forever.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty that follows the gun, not the owner, so if you ever have a problem with it, they'll fix it right away.

They are also only about 400$ :)