Thread: Many thanks and a general apology...

Many thanks and a general apology...

Hey everyone,

First of all, I need to apologize for not logging on and seeing if there were any events/get-togethers while I was at home. My hard-drive crashed and I decided the trouble of reinstalling Windows 7 and all the drivers wasn't worth it.

Second, I want to thank everyone for the advice and other things I've learned on here. I carried when I could while home. Unfortunately not as much as I'd have liked, since I was stopping by the high school and middle school quite a bit to either pick up family or visit old teachers. That and I couldn't remember how far down-town bath and damariscotta are from their respective schools, so I didn't carry. I did get a few weird looks, but I'm pretty sure that was due to the shoulder holster, since I didn't get any when wearing the belt holster. Most of the time I carried it was empty chamber, because I just couldn't get myself (or those I was with) comfortable with racking the slide after inserting the magazine when I got out of the vehicle. I was likely imagining it, but it felt like I was drawing attention when doing that, and I didn't want anyone think I was 'trying to make a point' or doing anything but just going on with my day.

I certainly need to do some better research on where the school zones and other prohibited areas are in towns I'll be spending time in before I come home next year so I'll be more comfortable carrying. And purchase a better voice recorder then the $20 generic one I picked up out here. I didn't need it, and I hope I never do, but 'better to have and not need' applies to that as much as a way to defend yourself and your loved ones.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for how to get others more comfortable with carrying? Some of my family seemed uneasy when I carried, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to help them get comfortable with it.

Cory

Quote Originally Posted by hightecrebel View Post
    Hey everyone,

First of all, I need to apologize for not logging on and seeing if there were any events/get-togethers while I was at home. My hard-drive crashed and I decided the trouble of reinstalling Windows 7 and all the drivers wasn't worth it.

Second, I want to thank everyone for the advice and other things I've learned on here. I carried when I could while home. Unfortunately not as much as I'd have liked, since I was stopping by the high school and middle school quite a bit to either pick up family or visit old teachers. That and I couldn't remember how far down-town bath and damariscotta are from their respective schools, so I didn't carry. I did get a few weird looks, but I'm pretty sure that was due to the shoulder holster, since I didn't get any when wearing the belt holster. Most of the time I carried it was empty chamber, because I just couldn't get myself (or those I was with) comfortable with racking the slide after inserting the magazine when I got out of the vehicle. I was likely imagining it, but it felt like I was drawing attention when doing that, and I didn't want anyone think I was 'trying to make a point' or doing anything but just going on with my day.

I certainly need to do some better research on where the school zones and other prohibited areas are in towns I'll be spending time in before I come home next year so I'll be more comfortable carrying. And purchase a better voice recorder then the $20 generic one I picked up out here. I didn't need it, and I hope I never do, but 'better to have and not need' applies to that as much as a way to defend yourself and your loved ones.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for how to get others more comfortable with carrying? Some of my family seemed uneasy when I carried, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to help them get comfortable with it.

Cory
    The comfort will come with time. The more they see it and nothing bad happens, the more comfortable they will become with the idea. As far as the school zones go, I recommend applying for a Maine CFP. They are easy to get and it eliminates the school issue for the most part.