Thread: Good Shops for Used Guns? (Puget Sound Area)

Good Shops for Used Guns? (Puget Sound Area)

What are good shops to window shop for used firearms, especially handguns? I like to look for the occasional old diamond in the rough.

DJ's Loan and Sport in downtown Bothell.

You can find their info though Google.

They are one of my favorite family owned to visit, and the nearest gun store to me.

Tho their prices are not super great (like Mary's Pistols in Tacoma), they sure beat the hell out of Discount Guns Sales, which despite the name, are priced to have no resemblance of being "discounted" at all.

I used to do all my FFL transfers though DJ's until they recently upped their fee for the 3rd time in a year (currently $45), and added on a heavy up-charge for any gun over $500. Still, pretty friendly folks and a good selection of new and used. Lots of consignment.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 12-12-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Ben's Loan in downtown Renton. New and used guns, long guns as well as pistols and revolvers. I bought all 3 of my guns there. Friendly knowledgeable people. They also have lots of ammo, gun accessories, safes, etc. Better prices than the ranges on just about everything. OC friendly.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Mary's pistols in Tacoma.. for the online scene (most sellers put up pics), seattleguns.net

Regular Member WinchesterModel12's Avatar
    Try some local pawn shops, sometimes you find good deals.
    If guns kill people......then all of mine are defective........ UNCLE TED

Skagit Arms, Skagit County, Burlington at exit 230 attached to Holiday Sports. Very friendly guys. Lots of handguns.

Kesselring's, North of Mt. Vernon has a large selection of long guns. All are in excellent condition as the owner is picky. They don't have tons of room so he just takes in the best of the bunch. Also are a good source for "Law Enforcement Trade-Ins". Good patrol shotguns, patrol rifles, pistol's, traded in on department upgrades. Lots of pistols from private parties too. If you don't see it in the case, their people will scour the "basement" as well. For years they have bought "estates" so there are some real finds there.

Definitely worth the drive if you're looking for selection.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

What happens to weapons confiscated through drug raids, et al...are they destroyed or does the governement auction them off?

Often held for years in evidence rooms, but normally destroyed in batches.

If you're looking for used guns in the Bremerton area, you don't really need to make Boerner's (Gorst) or Dave's (Loans on Callow) regular stops ... Boerner's gets the occasional nugget, but they don't seem flexible on pricing (of used pieces) and typically seem to be asking at least 50 bucks or more than you will see private sellers asking for ... Dave's -- well, their prices are often plain silly, even if you can find the occasional use gun in good shape (although, to be fair, I did score a terrific stainless S&W revolver there, albeit at about 50 buck more than I thought it was worth).

As noted previously, Mary's Pistols in T-town is always worth a stop (great people) and Kessilring's up north is worth the drive if you're in the market for long guns -- go on a weekday, though!

Cabela's (Lacey) used gun prices are ridiculous, although if you find something you've just gotta have, the selection isn't too bad. Bullseye in Tacoma sometimes gets a nice used handgun in, but their markup is generally well above Blue Book or Schwing's prices, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    What happens to weapons confiscated through drug raids, et al...are they destroyed or does the governement auction them off?
    Depends on the statutory requirements of that jurisdiction. For example in Marysville they can use them for police business, they can sell them through a dealer, or they can destroy them. Seattle is under direction to only destroy them if I remember correctly.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

As noted previously, Mary's Pistols in T-town is always worth a stop (great people) and Kessilring's up north is worth the drive if you're in the market for long guns -- go on a weekday, though!

Do they allow OC in thier store?

Cabela's (Lacey) used gun prices are ridiculous, although if you find something you've just gotta have, the selection isn't too bad.

I know, I know. Saw a Marlin .22 tube fed in thier for $175 it wasn't in bad shape and it had a nice scope on it, but I wouldn't pay that amount for it.

Federal Way Discount has great prices but the used selection is hit and miss... the best used selection I've seen so far is Wades in Bellevue, but they can be pricey.

lovenox asked
    Oh, yeah, Mary's for sure. You'll find that Dan and Mary are as vigorous supporters of your 2nd Amendment rights as you'll find anywhere ... Dunno about Kessilrings; they've had some curmudgeons working in that store, but I haven't been there in a while ...
    Last edited by Bo; 12-13-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    lovenox asked
    Oh, yeah, Mary's for sure. You'll find that Dan and Mary are as vigorous supporters of your 2nd Amendment rights as you'll find anywhere ... Dunno about Kessilrings; they've had some curmudgeons working in that store, but I haven't been there in a while ...
    Kesselring's has a sign on the door that merely says keep it holstered if its a ccw firearm and all others must be unloaded.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post

Cabela's (Lacey) used gun prices are ridiculous, although if you find something you've just gotta have, the selection isn't too bad.

I know, I know. Saw a Marlin .22 tube fed in thier for $175 it wasn't in bad shape and it had a nice scope on it, but I wouldn't pay that amount for it.
    Mary's not only allows OC in their store, the host our pamphlets.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    Federal Way Discount has great prices but the used selection is hit and miss... the best used selection I've seen so far is Wades in Bellevue, but they can be pricey.
    Federal Way DG does have great prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    lovenox asked
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Kesselring's has a sign on the door that merely says keep it holstered if its a ccw firearm and all others must be unloaded.
    I have found that most, if not all, ask that your loaded sidearm remain in it's holster.
    Live Free or Die!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I OC in there all the time I live right down the road from them. Great guys never had a problem, not always the best price but they usually have what you want.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
    What are good shops to window shop for used firearms, especially handguns? I like to look for the occasional old diamond in the rough.
    I know you live in Gig Harbor, but if you want to make the trip up north, I second DJ's Loan and Sport. Huge selection of used and barely used handguns. Great place to "window shop" and decent prices. Very nice people, family owned as mentioned above. Used to be mostly a small pawn shop that had a nice selection of guns. Now mostly a large and expanded gun shop with a small shelf of non-gun pawn items.

I've been buying and selling there for 20 years or so. Mostly buying..............

Located just west of the fire department and post office, and just east of Main and 104th.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Thanks for the replies, I have them in my iPhone for when I'm out wandering around.