• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The NRA should be doing more.

IA_farmboy

The NRA issued a press release of what they intend to push this next legislative session in Iowa.
http://www.NRAILA.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6095

Their "to do list" includes, constitutional carry legislation, "shall issue" reform, "stand your ground" laws, stronger preemption, and emergency powers reform.

There's a few additional things I'd like to see happen. It does not have to come from the NRA but they are the logical source of some of the lobby efforts.

One thing I'd like to see is the removal on the prohibition on having a firearm while bow hunting, and loosening of the restrictions on weapons carried in shotgun seasons. There are more things out in the woods besides turkey and deer during those hunting seasons. The numbers of people getting injured and killed by feline, canine, and ursine predators is increasing. Whether the cause is human encroachment or larger numbers of wildlife is irrelevant, IMHO. So long as people are endangered by these woodland animals we need to be permitted to carry the proper tools of self defense.

This can be done by either including handguns as a lawful means of taking animals in what is now a bow-only season or by removing the punishment for carrying a weapon that is not lawful to take deer or turkey while holding a permit for those animals. There is another logical reason for this besides self defense against animals, this would provide a means for hunters to better manage wildlife. A person out with a bow-only deer or turkey license should be able to also hunt fur bearers with a handgun. Also, nuisance animals don't just go away during turkey and deer season. Wild pigs and dogs are a threat to people, livestock, and wildlife. Without giving hunters the means to deal with them means the problems will only get worse.

We also need changes in the definition of "dangerous weapons" and the laws that prohibit carrying them. As best I can tell it is unlawful to carry a knife unless one is, on private property, lawfully hunting (which I assume means one has a license), or has a permit to carry weapons (again, a license). No one should need government permission, and pay a fee, to lawfully keep such a vital tool on their person. A knife is a piece of survival equipment, just like a canteen, compass, or flashlight, that no one should go camping or hiking without.

We need a "parking lot law" that prohibits employers from disallowing employees from keeping weapons in a vehicle on a company parking lot. No one should be permitted to disarm another as a condition of employment. I believe that companies, an artificial person, should NOT be allowed to disarm natural persons any where but I also see that there might be a legitimate need to disallow certain weapons inside a company building. I fail to see any legitimate need to keep weapons from a locked vehicle on company property. What I have in my car is no one's business but my own.

I'm certain I'll come up with more but this is a good start.

JD

We also need changes in the definition of "dangerous weapons" and the laws that prohibit carrying them. As best I can tell it is unlawful to carry a knife unless one is, on private property, lawfully hunting (which I assume means one has a license), or has a permit to carry weapons (again, a license). No one should need government permission, and pay a fee, to lawfully keep such a vital tool on their person. A knife is a piece of survival equipment, just like a canteen, compass, or flashlight, that no one should go camping or hiking without.

That's not quite correct, IA code is very specific regarding knives as it does state the following:

2. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person uses the knife in the commission of a crime, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

3. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person does not use the knife in the commission of a crime:

a. If the knife has a blade exceeding eight inches in length, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

b. If the knife has a blade exceeding five inches but not exceeding eight inches in length, commits a serious misdemeanor.

Under 5" and you're good according to state law, the issue is that localities can restrict knife lengths as the state law regarding preemption only covers firearms.

We need a "parking lot law" that prohibits employers from disallowing employees from keeping weapons in a vehicle on a company parking lot. No one should be permitted to disarm another as a condition of employment. I believe that companies, an artificial person, should NOT be allowed to disarm natural persons any where but I also see that there might be a legitimate need to disallow certain weapons inside a company building. I fail to see any legitimate need to keep weapons from a locked vehicle on company property. What I have in my car is no one's business but my own.

I'm certain I'll come up with more but this is a good start.

Agreed on that one. I would also like to see persons under the age of 14 able to use a handgun under adult supervision. The current restrictions are crap.

The IFC and the NRA are going to have their hands full with the above proposed legislation and defending SF2379 as there are parties that are going to try and propose more restrictive changes to the new law.

I'd also like to see the state's ban on NFA items lifted, but that's going to take a while.

Things take time. I'm sure we'll get here eventually.

JD

Also...

Almost forgot....

The knives that are considered "Dangerous Weapons" IE Switchblades, stilettos, etc even with a blade 5" and under are a no-go without a permit to carry weapons and of course ballistic knifes are listed as "Offensive Weapons"
702.7 Dangerous weapon.

A "dangerous weapon" is any instrument or device designed primarily for use in inflicting death or injury upon a human being or animal, and which is capable of inflicting death upon a human being when used in the manner for which it was designed, except a bow and arrow when possessed and used for hunting or any other lawful purpose. Additionally, any instrument or device of any sort whatsoever which is actually used in such a manner as to indicate that the defendant intends to inflict death or serious injury upon the other, and which, when so used, is capable of inflicting death upon a human being, is a dangerous weapon. Dangerous weapons include but are not limited to any offensive weapon, pistol, revolver, or other firearm, dagger, razor, stiletto, switchblade knife, knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length, or any portable device or weapon directing an electric current, impulse, wave, or beam that produces a high-voltage pulse designed to immobilize a person.

IA_farmboy

Under 5" and you're good according to state law, the issue is that localities can restrict knife lengths as the state law regarding preemption only covers firearms.

Yes, you are correct. I recall an issue with knives but didn't get all my thoughts together before putting my fingers to the keyboard. Pre-emption is an issue.

Also...

Almost forgot....

The knives that are considered "Dangerous Weapons" IE Switchblades, stilettos, etc even with a blade 5" and under are a no-go without a permit to carry weapons and of course ballistic knifes are listed as "Offensive Weapons"

This might have been where I was getting my neurons crossed. Some knives are OK, others are not. There is no way to know if a knife is legal to carry without a license or not. This is just another tax on a right.

Another thing about "offensive weapons" is that they are all forbidden. There should not be a prohibition on weapons that are designed for self defense. If the police can have then for self defense then the people should be able to have them for self defense. It just so happens that the police are exempted from the "offensive weapons" prohibitions.

Tucker6900

I think this is going to be an issue due to the private property rights. Most if not all parking lots belong to the business in question, and therefore would be legally governed by them. I agree that its BS, but I dont think were going to get anywhere with that.

Now, if the parking area is owned by the city or state, then I dont think thats a problem.

Last edited:

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I think this is going to be an issue due to the private property rights. Most if not all parking lots belong to the business in question, and therefore would be legally governed by them. I agree that its BS, but I dont think were going to get anywhere with that.

Now, if the parking area is owned by the city or state, then I dont think thats a problem.

Oklahoma has a law forbidding employers from banning their employees from storing firearms in their locked cars even when they are on company parking lots, with very few and specific exceptions. It was challenged and held up in a higher court, the deadline for an appeal passed and the law still stands. It is very reasonable to believe we could have a similar law in Iowa if we pushed for it.

Tucker6900

Oklahoma has a law forbidding employers from banning their employees from storing firearms in their locked cars even when they are on company parking lots, with very few and specific exceptions. It was challenged and held up in a higher court, the deadline for an appeal passed and the law still stands. It is very reasonable to believe we could have a similar law in Iowa if we pushed for it.

I was unaware of that. Thanks for the information.

aadvark

Iowa Carry Organization, Inc. WILL ALWAYS do more than what the National Rifle Association would EVER do!