Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Walmart = Big Brother?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    613

    Walmart = Big Brother?

    Just in case you already unhappy with Walmart
    http://www.politicalchips.org/profil...msg_share_post

  2. #2
    Regular Member ChiangShih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    628

    Thumbs up

    This is less Wal-Mart and more citizens being asked to turn on citizens. This is just another symptom of a greater attempt at government-level social control. It is a play taken out of the playbooks of many other expansive control focused governments. Separate the government from the people and then the people from each other. This is done through fear and threat of danger. It turns the citizens against one another out of suspicion and allows for enactment and implementation of power expanding policies.

    Most people shrug little events off, dismissing it as a security precaution, harmless but unnecessary, or too minuscule to worry about. The fallacy in these perspectives lies in the individuals inability to see the big picture. The convergence of many many small "harmless" precautions. The structural framework of a greater system of control slowly piecing itself together around us. Building itself up like a cage, we don't mind the bars so much as long as we can still see light. By the time it is completed and the light is gone, it is too late.

    That said, this should probably be in news/social . However, I enjoyed the thought provoking article.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

  3. #3
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    I must agree with ChiangShih, but only to a degree. His point about a bigger picture is 100% spot on. I may not see a problem with a guy taking pictures of birds around work, but if I was to report it, then the agency I report it to will have one more piece of information. If several other people reported the same thing then they can begin to see a trend and possibly mitigate threats. Look into AFOSI's Eagle Eyes program. Its the same thing. I don't think this is really an attempt to turn citizens against each other. That will inevitably result in nothing short of anarchy, and thats the complete opposite of what our government is trying to achieve. I refuse to believe, however, that if I took a real concern to my local Wal-Mart manager it would be handled properly. Thats just adding one more (possibly immature) middleman into the processes of security. I guarantee that no Wal-Mart manager is a trained and qualified DHS information specialist. All they will do is call the police just like you could do on your cell phone. Then the police will become less responsive to individual calls because a buisness is reporting suspicious behavior.
    Last edited by afcarry; 12-13-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran ComSec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lees Summit, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    444
    Hitler did it, we are just refining his works to better suit the American people. History Repeats, and all great countries fall sooner or later

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiangShih View Post
    This is less Wal-Mart and more citizens being asked to turn on citizens. This is just another symptom of a greater attempt at government-level social control. It is a play taken out of the playbooks of many other expansive control focused governments. Separate the government from the people and then the people from each other. This is done through fear and threat of danger. It turns the citizens against one another out of suspicion and allows for enactment and implementation of power expanding policies.

    Most people shrug little events off, dismissing it as a security precaution, harmless but unnecessary, or too minuscule to worry about. The fallacy in these perspectives lies in the individuals inability to see the big picture. The convergence of many many small "harmless" precautions. The structural framework of a greater system of control slowly piecing itself together around us. Building itself up like a cage, we don't mind the bars so much as long as we can still see light. By the time it is completed and the light is gone, it is too late.

    That said, this should probably be in news/social . However, I enjoyed the thought provoking article.
    I put it here because open carry is a "suspicious" activity to many and I expect the sheeple who take Napolitano's advice to heart to start watching us more carefully and become LESS interactive with us and more afraid and suspicious. Now, more than ever, we should carry and educate.

  6. #6
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    Agreed. Well put, sir. Carry and Educate more.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396
    If it were something trumped up by locals in the community like keeping an eye out for people loitering in the parking lot who could be selling drugs or looking for an easy carjack or kidnap victim, maybe keep an eye out inside the store for thievery, I wouldn't be so bothered by it. Organized neighborhood watch can be a great crime fighting tool.

    The fact that its Homeland Security getting involved really bothers me and makes me wonder if its just some kind of test run to see if spying on your neighbor, trust your government, would fly in today's society with our current population of sleepwalkers. They definitely need to prop up a bad guy though. Who and what is the bad guy we are supposed to be looking for here? I can't believe that Homeland Security cares about the local shoplifter, crack dealer and carjacker in our neighborhoods.

    Whose the bad guy?

  8. #8
    sistersinister
    Guest

    Still Kickin'

    Walmart still doing fine for me.. really happy with them

  9. #9
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    People already report too many things to the authorities, they don't need a reminder from big sis.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ChiangShih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    That will inevitably result in nothing short of anarchy, and thats the complete opposite of what our government is trying to achieve.
    Of course a government does not want anarchy. What a control oriented government does want is social disorganization (in all of its forms). Social disorganization leads to dependency on the government.

    Sure, too much social disorganization can lead to anarchy, but there is still a wide line between the two.
    Last edited by ChiangShih; 12-14-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by peterarthur View Post
    I put it here because open carry is a "suspicious" activity to many and I expect the sheeple who take Napolitano's advice to heart to start watching us more carefully and become LESS interactive with us and more afraid and suspicious. Now, more than ever, we should carry and educate.
    +1

    Personally, I find Napoleanitano's message highly suspicious. How many of the general public are training to spot something "suspicious?" Very few. Meanwhile, terrorists are trained to behave in a nonsuspicious manner.

    If any sizeable portion of the population takes her message to heart, the police and Wal-Mart managers will be seriously overburdened with meaningless reports of "suspicious" activities.

    I love what this guy wrote: "If you observe me carrying a properly-holsterd firearm in Walmart, as I always do, please report my lawful carry of a firearm under both 2A and state law to Napolitano, if for no other reason than to simply piss her off."

    I like what Leah Herron wrote, too.

    ETA: Someone's already added a link to the YouTube video on Janet's Wiki page. That's actually a good thing, given the overwhelming abundance of negative responses, there.
    Last edited by since9; 12-15-2010 at 03:52 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by sistersinister View Post
    Walmart still doing fine for me.. really happy with them



    When did this board start allowing "guests" to post? I thought you had to sign up as a member first. (just curious)
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by END_THE_FED View Post
    When did this board start allowing "guests" to post? I thought you had to sign up as a member first. (just curious)
    I am not familiar with this software, but my experience as a board owner is that this happens when a member's account is deleted, not just banned, but deleted. Maybe the member asked to have his account deleted.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I am not familiar with this software...
    I am. It's a setting under the AdminCP (admin's control panel). The overwhelming preference is to set it so that guests may not post. vBulletin also supports a graduated means of giving newbies various privelages, and combined with other measures, is reasonably effective at thwarting spam.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  15. #15
    Regular Member bom1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chesterfield County , USA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    I may not see a problem with a guy taking pictures of birds around work, but if I was to report it, then the agency I report it to will have one more piece of information. If several other people reported the same thing then they can begin to see a trend and possibly mitigate threats.
    I may have read this part wrong. Is there a problem with people taking pictures of birds?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Va, ,
    Posts
    623
    We already have "Big Brother". Then came "Big Sis". Now we have as I would like to coin the phrase "Big Wally" who is now working for "Big Sis".

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by bom1911 View Post
    I may have read this part wrong. Is there a problem with people taking pictures of birds?
    Only if they're stool pigeons...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •