Thread: Specific Question re: Utah Carry Laws and high visitation

Question Specific Question re: Utah Carry Laws and high visitation

I am new to this forum as of a few minutes ago. I hope I am posting this in the proper place.

Here is the scenario: I just purchased my first handgun. I took the CCP class and submitted my application in mid-November to BCI and am awaiting the receipt of my permit. I work for a company out of Arizona. I visit high schools 3-4 times per week to discuss career options.

My question is 2 fold; pre-receipt of permit and post receipt of permit.

Can I have my gun in it's carrying case locked in my car while I am in the high school doing my job?

I've tried to read the laws and interpret them for this particular situation and struggle to know for sure. Your help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Question Thread title should have been "...high SCHOOL visitation"

Sorry for not catching that.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineCarrier View Post
    I am new to this forum as of a few minutes ago. I hope I am posting this in the proper place.

Here is the scenario: I just purchased my first handgun. I took the CCP class and submitted my application in mid-November to BCI and am awaiting the receipt of my permit. I work for a company out of Arizona. I visit high schools 3-4 times per week to discuss career options.

My question is 2 fold; pre-receipt of permit and post receipt of permit.

Can I have my gun in it's carrying case locked in my car while I am in the high school doing my job?

I've tried to read the laws and interpret them for this particular situation and struggle to know for sure. Your help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
    WITHOUT PERMIT: You have both federal and state law issues to deal with. Per federal law and state law you CAN NOT carry within 1000 feet of the school property. State law further expands the restrictions to day care center, trade schools, Colleges, Universities, and the INFAMOUS roving school zone.... 1000 feet from the property at which a school function/field trip is occuring. So the firearm would have to be unloaded, secured in a case, and preferably not in the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

With a Utah permit: Good to go, carry however you like IN A UTAH PUBLIC SCHOOL. Certain colleges and universitys (public) will allege that you can't OPEN CARRY and will threaten you with a "disruption of a school function or activity" charge and or trespassing.
    Federal law requires that the permit be issued by the state the school is located in. There is serious debate about the Constitutionality of this law as it has been declared Unconstitutional once and then was slightly ammended and repassed by congress.

I am not familiar with Arizona and its particular requirements for a Gun Free School Zone.

Thanks for the help JoeSparky.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    WITHOUT PERMIT: You have both federal and state law issues to deal with. Per federal law and state law you CAN NOT carry within 1000 feet of the school property. State law further expands the restrictions to day care center, trade schools, Colleges, Universities, and the INFAMOUS roving school zone.... 1000 feet from the property at which a school function/field trip is occuring. So the firearm would have to be unloaded, secured in a case, and preferably not in the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

With a Utah permit: Good to go, carry however you like IN A UTAH PUBLIC SCHOOL. Certain colleges and universitys (public) will allege that you can't OPEN CARRY and will threaten you with a "disruption of a school function or activity" charge and or trespassing.
    Federal law requires that the permit be issued by the state the school is located in. There is serious debate about the Constitutionality of this law as it has been declared Unconstitutional once and then was slightly ammended and repassed by congress.

I am not familiar with Arizona and its particular requirements for a Gun Free School Zone.
    Thanks for the specific help.