• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccw question

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Indiana honors ALL other state concealed licenses. You can OC or CC. I suggest going to the Indiana state forum and posting there.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?98-Indiana

<edit>
From the ISP website http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf
Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed?

Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for 0fficial business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

Right, I know Ind law but was wondering about Utah. Wasnt sure if a ccw means I also could open carry there or only ccw? Ind has other permits like a range/target inwhich you can only carry to and from.

jpm84092

Open Carry in Utah with and without a Utah CFP

Open carry in Utah without Concealed Firearm Permit - legal only if the handgun is unloaded (nothing in the pipe and 2 actions to fire). You must avoid the Federal Gun Free School Zones (unless in your car and you stay in your car). Not legal in federal buildings, post office, or other government building where lawfully posted. Not legal in a "Mormon House of Worship". Not legal in the secure area of an airport.

Open carry in Utah WITH a Concealed Firearm Permit - legal to carry "condition 1" (round in the chamber and ready to fire). Legal to carry inside the federal GFSZ including on school grounds and into buildings (unless the school is private and the private property owner has properly posted or otherwise notified you of his objection). Not legal in federal buildings, post office, or other government buildings where lawfully posted. Not legal in a "Mormon House of Worship". Not legal in the secure area of an airport. Legal to carry on public transportation except interstate transportation (think AMTRAK). And obviously, legal to carry concealed.

Please note the mention about being in your car. Utah "Castle Doctrine" extends to your vehicle. No permit required to carry in your vehicle in the manner of your choosing. However, if you are in a federal GFSZ, you cannot exit your vehicle with your handgun unless you possess a Utah CFP. You may not carry a loaded long gun (rifle, shotgun, etc) unless you also have a Concealed Firearm Permit.

Utah honors all out of state permits, but given the wording of the Federal Statute, the use of an out-of-state permit to carry inside a federal GFSZ in Utah is yet untested in the courts. (But you did state that you took the Utah CFP Course to obtain a Utah permit. When the permit arrives, you can exercise the rights granted under the permit, but not before it is in your hand or on your person when you do so.)

1245A Defender

what they said,,,

you need to study more.
indiana is a state that only allows open carry if you have a permit!
indiana does honor the utah non resident permit.
my state also honors the utah non resident permit,, BUT
my state doesnt! honor MY utah non resident permit because i am a resident of my state!!
my state wants me to have a resident permit from MY state!

jpm84092

you need to study more.
indiana is a state that only allows open carry if you have a permit!
indiana does honor the utah non resident permit.
my state also honors the utah non resident permit,, BUT
my state doesnt! honor MY utah non resident permit because i am a resident of my state!!
my state wants me to have a resident permit from MY state!

Defender is correct. I hope the link below is of assistance and that you click on the various links to Official Indiana State Authorities websites.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf