Thread: OT: Can Trench Knives be considered "brass knuckles"?

OT: Can Trench Knives be considered "brass knuckles"?

I was thinking about ordering a trench knife, such as one similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...-20/ref=nosim/

Considering the finger grips, can some rouge police officer or prosecutor consider this a variation of "brass knuckles"? (Considering Washington State specifically bans brass knuckles)

You might also want to take into consideration that it is also a fixed bladed knife. Probably not legal to carry in your city.

Quote Originally Posted by krazichinaman View Post
    You might also want to take into consideration that it is also a fixed bladed knife. Probably not legal to carry in your city.
    I didn't see any restrictions on fixed blades in Kent, or any other surrounding cities. Only Seattle, Olympia, and a few select other cities that I never go to.

What about a falchion? Maybe a Sabre? How about a Rapier with a Gauche?

I believe they fall under the categories of "swords" in which you may not "furtively carry with intent to conceal" - whatever they mean by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    I believe they fall under the categories of "swords" in which you may not "furtively carry with intent to conceal" - whatever they mean by that.

I think what he was getting at was that all of those items he mentioned have handles that go over the knuckles, similar to the trench knife, just shaped differently.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

I'm pretty sure that the trench knife will be looked at two ways. One for the "brass knuckle" aspect and the other for the blade. If the "reasonable man" was to look at these (think juror here) and asked if he saw brass knuckles, what do you think he might answer. It's a fair bet that he'd see them as "knuckles" with a blade attached.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

After careful reading, I believe the keyword to look for is "Metal" knuckles. The grip on the knife does not appear to be metal of any kind, but rather a hard plastic.

After careful reading, I believe the keyword to look for is "Metal" knuckles. The grip on the knife does not appear to be metal of any kind, but rather a hard plastic.
    If the material is capable of causing serious injury, the fact that it is not metal might well be moot. It's pretty common today to replace metal with other materials that are just as capable of having the same effect. Do you think "Hard Plastic" will cause less damage when striking someone? I'll pass on being a test subject.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    If the material is capable of causing serious injury, the fact that it is not metal might well be moot. It's pretty common today to replace metal with other materials that are just as capable of having the same effect. Do you think "Hard Plastic" will cause less damage when striking someone? I'll pass on being a test subject.
    Even if it may cause serious injury, I don't see anything in the law that would restrict the possession of it. An icepick can cause serious injury, too, but those aren't restricted by law. Weapon laws are ludicrous. You can cause more damage bashing someone in the head with a colt revolver than you can with a set of brass knuckles.

Even if it may cause serious injury, I don't see anything in the law that would restrict the possession of it. An icepick can cause serious injury, too, but those aren't restricted by law. Weapon laws are ludicrous. You can cause more damage bashing someone in the head with a colt revolver than you can with a set of brass knuckles.
    You don't need to convince me, just the lawmakers and any LEO that wants to make an issue of it.

It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Considering their collector value (and cash value too) I doubt we'll see a lot of these being carried today.

Kind of a "Zero" barrel length firearm.

Well, I don't know about the legal definition if there is one, but when you search "Brass knuckle knife" then you get trench knives. That may or may not help in determining if they're brass knuckles. Also,
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

I'm sure you can own it but just don't carry it in public.