• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Can Trench Knives be considered "brass knuckles"?

END_THE_FED

I believe they fall under the categories of "swords" in which you may not "furtively carry with intent to conceal" - whatever they mean by that.

I think what he was getting at was that all of those items he mentioned have handles that go over the knuckles, similar to the trench knife, just shaped differently.

amlevin

I'm pretty sure that the trench knife will be looked at two ways. One for the "brass knuckle" aspect and the other for the blade. If the "reasonable man" was to look at these (think juror here) and asked if he saw brass knuckles, what do you think he might answer. It's a fair bet that he'd see them as "knuckles" with a blade attached.

Aaron1124

After careful reading, I believe the keyword to look for is "Metal" knuckles. The grip on the knife does not appear to be metal of any kind, but rather a hard plastic.

amlevin

After careful reading, I believe the keyword to look for is "Metal" knuckles. The grip on the knife does not appear to be metal of any kind, but rather a hard plastic.

If the material is capable of causing serious injury, the fact that it is not metal might well be moot. It's pretty common today to replace metal with other materials that are just as capable of having the same effect. Do you think "Hard Plastic" will cause less damage when striking someone? I'll pass on being a test subject.

Aaron1124

If the material is capable of causing serious injury, the fact that it is not metal might well be moot. It's pretty common today to replace metal with other materials that are just as capable of having the same effect. Do you think "Hard Plastic" will cause less damage when striking someone? I'll pass on being a test subject.

Even if it may cause serious injury, I don't see anything in the law that would restrict the possession of it. An icepick can cause serious injury, too, but those aren't restricted by law. Weapon laws are ludicrous. You can cause more damage bashing someone in the head with a colt revolver than you can with a set of brass knuckles.

amlevin

Even if it may cause serious injury, I don't see anything in the law that would restrict the possession of it. An icepick can cause serious injury, too, but those aren't restricted by law. Weapon laws are ludicrous. You can cause more damage bashing someone in the head with a colt revolver than you can with a set of brass knuckles.

You don't need to convince me, just the lawmakers and any LEO that wants to make an issue of it.

Metalhead47

SO how 'bout this then:

300px-Apache_revolver.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_revolver

xxx.jakk.xxx

Well, I don't know about the legal definition if there is one, but when you search "Brass knuckle knife" then you get trench knives. That may or may not help in determining if they're brass knuckles. Also,
107782.jpg