• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New To OCing Need Some Advise?

B

bgreene89

Hey fellow open carriers I just turned 21 on october 2, I carry my dads High Standard 22 mag. rev. 9 shot, however I only have OCed around my house and in our Gunshop. I am getting ready to send in my paperwork for my concealed weapons permit I took the course last year. I have been deciding if I should open carry, or not and I can't make up my mind. I am getting ready to go into law enforcement I start BLET in Jan. of 2011 at Lenior and I don't want to jeopardize my career, or in other words get some charge on my record. Any ideas on what i should do?

Thanks,
Blake

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Of course, its your own choice entirely what you do. No one will be held responsible for your actions but you.
But, its your right to openly carry a firearm is you so choose to do so, and I hope you would be able to do so without fear of being illegally prejudiced against for doing something perfectly legal.

Just be polite to people in general(no matter if you OC, CC, NC) and your life will usually be rather non-eventful.
If the Police detain or harass you be simple in your choice of words(if you so choose to break your right to remain silent) if they are willing to listen, you will probably walk away from the situation. If they aren't, its really not your fault if they commit an illegal detention and/or arrest.

If you read all the stories here from the North Carolina page, you'll find the vast majority of people's experiences are essentially non-events. But, life happens and we have to deal with what happens.

smlawrence

Hey fellow open carriers I just turned 21 on october 2, I carry my dads High Standard 22 mag. rev. 9 shot, however I only have OCed around my house and in our Gunshop. I am getting ready to send in my paperwork for my concealed weapons permit I took the course last year. I have been deciding if I should open carry, or not and I can't make up my mind. I am getting ready to go into law enforcement I start BLET in Jan. of 2011 at Lenior and I don't want to jeopardize my career, or in other words get some charge on my record. Any ideas on what i should do?

Thanks,
Blake

To start, Welcome to the life of OC'in, maybe? LOL. You are the only one who can decide on whether or not to OC. It is your legal right to do so where not prohibited. If you read alot of the posts on here, alot of people are treated un-fairly while doing so and alot of people are treated like normal law abiding citizens. Everyday holds something new and different and sometimes the same. I am pretty much comfortable carrying about anywhere I go. I 95% of the time won't go where I can't OC, but everyonce and a while I choose to go somewhere where I can't like tonight when I took my wife, daughter, and daughters boyfriend to a steakhouse that serves alcohol. Unfortunately, I had to make that sacrifice to have a nice dinner with an alcoholic beverage. If you really want to OC, then call up a buddy, go to Walmart, and have a nice OC Shopping Experience. Then work up from there. MAKE SURE YOUR FIREARM IS VISIBLE AND NOT COVERED BY A JACKET, COAT, OR SHIRT SINCE YOU ARE STILL AWAITING YOUR CHP. There are alot of educated people on this forum that I read behind everyday and learn something new from. I suggest you do the same. Take Care.

B

bgreene89

I can Just see someone complaining on me now saying I look like a kid with a gun being i only weigh 120 pounds and I am 5' 9".

Anyone know any oc friendly places? around ayden,winterville,or greenville?

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I can Just see someone complaining on me now saying I look like a kid with a gun being i only weigh 120 pounds and I am 5' 9". however the walmart idea with my buddie I may try!

There is a song about Stoning, where I believe its Bob Dylan sings, "Everybody must get stoned." because no matter what you are or who you are someone will be drinking the haterade and have something to say about you.

elixin77

I can Just see someone complaining on me now saying I look like a kid with a gun being i only weigh 120 pounds and I am 5' 9". however the walmart idea with my buddie I may try!

From my experiences, businesses in those areas are either welcome of OC or they just don't see it. My one bad experience was quickly remedied by me knowing the law, and talking with who became involved.