• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy

CDT COX

Hi, I'm new here, just joined. I recently moved to Oriental, NC in Pamlico county and was wondering if it's okay to open carry in the county even though I'm only 18. http://www.opencarry.org/nc.html says the min. age is 18. Anyone know for sure?

sultan62

If you're legal to possess, you're legal to carry. I'd strongly encourage you read up on all the laws first though.

CDT COX

Thanks guys, from what I understand, can't carry in gov't buildings, schools, funerals, parades, places that charge admission, places that sell/consume alcohol, and anywhere that there is a sign that says I can't. If I get a handgun 25DEC morning, I'm good to carry that whole day and from then on right? Is there any paper work I need for being under 21?

muccione

Is there any paper work I need for being under 21?

only thing you need is to be an American citizen and be able to possess a firearm.... read up on the laws too... cops might give you a hard time cuz you look young and might not know the laws too... I think most cops like sheeple believe you must be 21 to carry

jerz_subbie

only thing you need is to be an American citizen and be able to possess a firearm.... read up on the laws too... cops might give you a hard time cuz you look young and might not know the laws too... I think most cops like sheeple believe you must be 21 to carry

BIG +1. Just a couple weeks ago I had this debate with a new-LEO friend of mine. The next day I researched everything, found the statutes, and sent him the info. Needless to say he was surprised and impressed and said that he'd pass the info along to his Sgt. So hopefully a few more LEOs will be better educated as to NC OC laws.

oldbanger

CDT COX

Thanks guys, if I get the handgun for Christmas I'll start to OC

sultan62

Thanks guys, from what I understand, can't carry in gov't buildings, schools, funerals, parades, places that charge admission, places that sell/consume alcohol, and anywhere that there is a sign that says I can't. If I get a handgun 25DEC morning, I'm good to carry that whole day and from then on right? Is there any paper work I need for being under 21?

Just to clarify, it's anywhere that alcohol is BOTH sold and consumed. You probably already know this, I just thought I'd clarify.

And no, no paperwork, though you may encounter ignorant LEOs.

TravelingMan0491

Welcome to the board

Read up on the open carry flyer that someone had done up for NC here and you may even want to carry a few folded with you in your back pocket to help educate the sheeple.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States

change that slash to and

where alcohol sold AND consume alcohol IE: bars and restaurants