Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: CCW permit

  1. #1
    Regular Member littlewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    349

    CCW permit

    My Flordia CCW came in the mail today and wouldn't ya know it,it's signed by Charles Bronson !
    Any one with a death wish ?
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    My Flordia CCW came in the mail today and wouldn't ya know it,it's signed by Charles Bronson !
    Any one with a death wish ?
    Darn! Different Charles Bronson....awe.......

    http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Congrats. If Wisconsin does require a permit, it would be a good thing if the legislation required issuance of a Wisconsin one to any resident holding an out state permit at the legislation's effective date.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

    The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

    "Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

  4. #4
    Regular Member mliederbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Between keyboard and chair, WI
    Posts
    32

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Congrats. If Wisconsin does require a permit, it would be a good thing if the legislation required issuance of a Wisconsin one to any resident holding an out state permit at the legislation's effective date.
    +1

  5. #5
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    My Flordia CCW came in the mail today and wouldn't ya know it,it's signed by Charles Bronson !
    Any one with a death wish ?
    Yeah, I always found that rather hilarious too. I wonder how many times he's been kidded about that?

    At least this guy is still alive!
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  6. #6
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    I was going to get a Florida permit, but I will wait to see how things shake out with Wisconsin first. Right now it would not do me any good here.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    The only reason I got FL is because it's good where my Mom lives, so I can cc there and not worry her.

    Only way I plan for her to find out is if I have to defend us. She worries that I ride a motorcycle, she worries that I drive myself down there to see her, I can't imagine the stroke she'd have finding out about a handgun on her daughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  8. #8
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    Death Wish, hilarious!

  9. #9
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    My Flordia CCW came in the mail today and wouldn't ya know it,it's signed by Charles Bronson !
    Any one with a death wish ?
    Good catch. I had to look at mine, but it too is signed by Charles Bronson.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  10. #10
    Regular Member littlewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    I was going to get a Florida permit, but I will wait to see how things shake out with Wisconsin first. Right now it would not do me any good here.
    I got the Fl permit because they accept military training.I used to teach the stuff so why pay someone for something you probably taught in the first place ! I think military should be adequate for all states anyways. I'll use mine when I go to TX,SD and WY, Hell I might even visit FL. I wish it was good in MI as I go to the UP every now and then.

    If WI , God forbid has to Shall Issue I hope they recognise out of state permits for issuance here kind of like a drivers license. also a good ID if stopped here for OC instead of a DL
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

  11. #11
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    I got the Fl permit because they accept military training.I used to teach the stuff so why pay someone for something you probably taught in the first place ! I think military should be adequate for all states anyways. I'll use mine when I go to TX,SD and WY, Hell I might even visit FL. I wish it was good in MI as I go to the UP every now and then.
    Your FL permit would be valid in MI if you were a resident of FL. With the FL real estate market in shambles, maybe you could pick up some property (future retirement home) and with a FL mailing address your FL permit would be good in MI.

    You may wish to consider getting a Utah non resident permit. That will get you into MN. And, after 1-1-11, Iowa will accept your non-resident FL permit.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Your FL permit would be valid in MI if you were a resident of FL. With the FL real estate market in shambles, maybe you could pick up some property (future retirement home) and with a FL mailing address your FL permit would be good in MI.

    You may wish to consider getting a Utah non resident permit. That will get you into MN. And, after 1-1-11, Iowa will accept your non-resident FL permit.
    Non-resident permits allow for Wisconsinites to OC in MI.

    Edit: Source: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry-in-Michigan...
    Last edited by protias; 12-13-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Non-resident permits allow for Wisconsinites to OC in MI.

    Edit: Source: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry-in-Michigan...
    NO They Do Not! The permit to purchase, carry or own which is required by the state of Michigan, Must be issued by your home state. This gives the FIB's a leg up on us cheeseheads in MI.
    Because ILL-ANNOY requires you to get a permit to even purchase a gun (FOID CARD) this satisfies MI's goofy anti-2A laws. But because WI does not require permission be granted from the government, we cannot carry a handgun in MI, It must be locked in the trunk of a car for us to even be in that state legally

  14. #14
    McX
    Guest
    permits? we dont need no steenkin permits!

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    NO They Do Not! The permit to purchase, carry or own which is required by the state of Michigan, Must be issued by your home state. This gives the FIB's a leg up on us cheeseheads in MI.
    Because ILL-ANNOY requires you to get a permit to even purchase a gun (FOID CARD) this satisfies MI's goofy anti-2A laws. But because WI does not require permission be granted from the government, we cannot carry a handgun in MI, It must be locked in the trunk of a car for us to even be in that state legally
    If you have a non-res permit, you can OC in MI. If you do not have a permit, then you are correct.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    If you have a non-res permit, you can OC in MI. If you do not have a permit, then you are correct.
    Can you please provide a cite?

    I researched this subject very heavily a year ago, and I found that because WI does not issue any permit to own or carry a handgun, you cannot OC or CC in MI as a WI resident no matter what other states permits you may be in possession of. An IL foid card is honored and allows an IL resident with a valid FOID card to O-C, but not a WI resident.
    You can only have a handgun in MI if you are at a shooting range (there is a legal definition of a shooting range also) or if you are hunting game where a handgun is allowed, and with a valid MI license.

    The plain and simple. A WI resident cannot carry a handgun OC or CC in the state of MI.

    Here is my cite copied from the same link you provided, it clearly states that your state of residence must be the issuing authority for a permit,. Since WI does not issues permits of any type whatsoever, it means we cannot legally carry a hangun in MI unless hunting or at a qualified shooting range. Transportation is also very tricky in MI for Wi residents, Please be careful so you do not get caught breaking MI law.

    Possession of pistols by non-residents
    MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid
    CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in
    Michigan without complying with MichiganĘs pisto...l registration
    requirements. Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states
    from MichiganĘs pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing
    them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following
    requirements are met:

    1. The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,
    transport, or carry a pistol,
    2. The person is in possession of the license while in Michigan,
    3. The person owns the pistol possessed in Michigan,
    4. The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in
    MCL 750.231a, and
    5. The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to
    establish residency here.

    A non-resident must present the license issued by his or her state of
    residence to a police officer upon demand. Failure to do so is a 90-day
    misdemeanor. When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must
    transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in
    the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol
    license issued by their state of residence.
    Last edited by Nutczak; 12-14-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Added Cite

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    Can you please provide a cite?

    I researched this subject very heavily a year ago, and I found that because WI does not issue any permit to own or carry a handgun, you cannot OC or CC in MI as a WI resident no matter what other states permits you may be in possession of. An IL foid card is honored and allows an IL resident with a valid FOID card to O-C, but not a WI resident.
    You can only have a handgun in MI if you are at a shooting range (there is a legal definition of a shooting range also) or if you are hunting game where a handgun is allowed, and with a valid MI license.

    The plain and simple. A WI resident cannot carry a handgun OC or CC in the state of MI.

    Here is my cite copied from the same link you provided, it clearly states that your state of residence must be the issuing authority for a permit,. Since WI does not issues permits of any type whatsoever, it means we cannot legally carry a hangun in MI unless hunting or at a qualified shooting range. Transportation is also very tricky in MI for Wi residents, Please be careful so you do not get caught breaking MI law.

    Possession of pistols by non-residents
    MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid
    CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in
    Michigan without complying with MichiganĘs pisto...l registration
    requirements. Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states
    from MichiganĘs pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing
    them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following
    requirements are met:

    1. The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,
    transport, or carry a pistol,
    2. The person is in possession of the license while in Michigan,
    3. The person owns the pistol possessed in Michigan,
    4. The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in
    MCL 750.231a, and
    5. The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to
    establish residency here.

    A non-resident must present the license issued by his or her state of
    residence to a police officer upon demand. Failure to do so is a 90-day
    misdemeanor. When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must
    transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in
    the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol
    license issued by their state of residence.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1393765

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1395614
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170
    Read line 1!!

    The permit to purchase, own or carry must be issued from your own state of residence, An out of state permit from FL, UT, or wherever else is not your state of residence.

    WI has no permit requirements, so this disqualifies you from carrying in any manner in the state of MI.

    A FIB can OC there because of their states FOID card requirement to posess a firearm, WI DOES NOT ISSUE ANY PERMIt, SO NO DEAL IN MI

    Again, read line "1"
    You got this info from the IL forum, that should give you a little bit of background right there.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
    misdemeanor; penalty.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.


    Says nothing about residency.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,

    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
    misdemeanor; penalty.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.


    Says nothing about residency.
    YES IT DOES< READ LINE 1

    here i'll paste it here for you "The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,
    transport, or carry a pistol"

  21. #21
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    You CAN OC in Michigan on a non-resident CCW permit.

    This reply in the Illinois forum was by DrTodd, who is a Michigan resident:

    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    This is correct... Michigan law (MCL 28.422) states that possession of a Pistol in Michigan requires a License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol, which is what we get to buy and then register a pistol. The state police have given ONLY 1 of the exceptions to this: a resident license to conceal from another state (this is listed in MCL 28.422). With this license, you would be able to conceal (if you are resident of the state which issued the license), as Mich recognizes all state concealed licenses.

    However, there is ANOTHER exemption from the aforementioned registration process, see MCL 28.432. This section exempts "(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state" (There are other exemptions there, too.)

    Were I to travel to Michigan under EITHER exemption, I would make very sure that I also carry a copy of the MCL with my permit. Other than that, there shouldn't be any problems. In fact, Michigan allows the OC of pistols in almost all of the places listed as "no (concealed) carry zones" for CPL holders if the person has a resident permit from their home state. If you have a non-resident permit, I would not suggest OCing any of the places listed as no carry zones.
    I also covered this in a thread of my own on the Michigan forum last Spring if you'd care to read it. What it boils down to is that I can OC in Michigan on my non-resident Utah CCW permit.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Yeah but

    it's really fun to reargue this issue from the beginning over and over and over.....<insert smiley for sarcasm here>

    Other favorite rehashes:

    1. FOPA (18 USC 926A) permits me to carry a pistol in my suitcase for check-in even in New York or New Jersey.
    2. "No Guns" signs carry no legal weight.
    3. A MI CPL allows me to OC on the University of Michigan campus.
    4. A straw man purchase only occurs only when a "prohibited person" is involved.
    5. There are no exceptions to WI Statute 941.23.
    6. I am a legal resident of the state in which I vote (or have a driver's license from).
    7. I can cc in a post office because it is (a) not really a federal facility or (b) there is an exception for "lawful purposes" including self-defense.
    Last edited by apjonas; 12-15-2010 at 07:45 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Exclamation I must have missed it

    Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    it's really fun to reargue this issue from the beginning over and over and over.....<insert smiley for sarcasm here>
    Gee, was there an argument? I must have missed it. I was just restating the facts.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  24. #24
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Constitutional Carry

    This thread is a perfect example why we should push the WI Legislature toward doing what AZ and AK did. That is, have Constitutional Carry AND Carry with Permit. For those who wish to pay the "tax", having a WI permit allows travel to MI and any other State that will recognize a WI permit (like IA who after 1-1-11 will recognize the valid permit from any other State). If not a lot of States recognize the (theoretical) WI Permit, as NIK is so fond of pointing out, there is always the option of obtaining a Utah or Florida permit (these two cover the most States and the UT permit will cover MN if a WI permit is not honored there).

    If we do not also push the legislature to adopt a permit system to compliment Constitutional Carry, WI will become an island like VT. They have Constitutional Carry but do not issue a permit. Most people in VT then flock to get a UT permit, but cannot carry in their neighboring state of NH as NH only honors permits from the State of residency (also ME, FL, SC, MI, and CO).
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  25. #25
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    If we do not also push the legislature to adopt a permit system to compliment Constitutional Carry, WI will become an island like VT. They have Constitutional Carry but do not issue a permit. Most people in VT then flock to get a UT permit, but cannot carry in their neighboring state of NH as NH only honors permits from the State of residency (also ME, FL, SC, MI, and CO).
    But you are missing the point. I have talked to representatives of 3 legislators. There is zero chance we are going to get Constitutional Carry with a permit. If I were a betting man, I would say we are 60% 'shall issue' to 40% 'Constitutional Carry' with the 40 going higher every day. On November 3rd of this year, my bet would of been 90% shall issue, 10% Constitutional Carry.

    Once again, we let the camel nose under the tent, it will move n and bring fleas along. If we allow WI to setup the infrastructure for permits, they will find ways to make us use it.

    When WI goes the way of VT, people are free to get a UT permit. If that occurs, the only places that don't accept non-resident permits for concealed carry are MI and NH. NH issues an expensive non-resident permit. MI accepts any states permit for oc.

    Even your state UT is on the verge of going Constitutional Carry. How long after that occurs will they issue permits? Who knows?

    No matter what, we can't cc is NY, CA and a couple other states.

    How about this? How about we work for CC in WI and then work on a Federal reciprocity bill which states 'if you are legal in your home state, you are legal everywhere'? That would get us into CA and NY and Chicago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •