• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW permit

littlewolf

My Flordia CCW came in the mail today and wouldn't ya know it,it's signed by Charles Bronson !
Any one with a death wish ?

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Congrats. If Wisconsin does require a permit, it would be a good thing if the legislation required issuance of a Wisconsin one to any resident holding an out state permit at the legislation's effective date.

oak1971

I was going to get a Florida permit, but I will wait to see how things shake out with Wisconsin first. Right now it would not do me any good here.

MKEgal

The only reason I got FL is because it's good where my Mom lives, so I can cc there and not worry her.

Only way I plan for her to find out is if I have to defend us. She worries that I ride a motorcycle, she worries that I drive myself down there to see her, I can't imagine the stroke she'd have finding out about a handgun on her daughter.

littlewolf

I was going to get a Florida permit, but I will wait to see how things shake out with Wisconsin first. Right now it would not do me any good here.

I got the Fl permit because they accept military training.I used to teach the stuff so why pay someone for something you probably taught in the first place ! I think military should be adequate for all states anyways. I'll use mine when I go to TX,SD and WY, Hell I might even visit FL. I wish it was good in MI as I go to the UP every now and then.

If WI , God forbid has to Shall Issue I hope they recognise out of state permits for issuance here kind of like a drivers license. also a good ID if stopped here for OC instead of a DL

jpm84092

I got the Fl permit because they accept military training.I used to teach the stuff so why pay someone for something you probably taught in the first place ! I think military should be adequate for all states anyways. I'll use mine when I go to TX,SD and WY, Hell I might even visit FL. I wish it was good in MI as I go to the UP every now and then.

Your FL permit would be valid in MI if you were a resident of FL. With the FL real estate market in shambles, maybe you could pick up some property (future retirement home) and with a FL mailing address your FL permit would be good in MI.

You may wish to consider getting a Utah non resident permit. That will get you into MN. And, after 1-1-11, Iowa will accept your non-resident FL permit.

protias

Your FL permit would be valid in MI if you were a resident of FL. With the FL real estate market in shambles, maybe you could pick up some property (future retirement home) and with a FL mailing address your FL permit would be good in MI.

You may wish to consider getting a Utah non resident permit. That will get you into MN. And, after 1-1-11, Iowa will accept your non-resident FL permit.
Non-resident permits allow for Wisconsinites to OC in MI.

Edit: Source: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?82505-Illinois-residents-can-open-carry-in-Michigan...

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

NO They Do Not! The permit to purchase, carry or own which is required by the state of Michigan, Must be issued by your home state. This gives the FIB's a leg up on us cheeseheads in MI.
Because ILL-ANNOY requires you to get a permit to even purchase a gun (FOID CARD) this satisfies MI's goofy anti-2A laws. But because WI does not require permission be granted from the government, we cannot carry a handgun in MI, It must be locked in the trunk of a car for us to even be in that state legally

protias

NO They Do Not! The permit to purchase, carry or own which is required by the state of Michigan, Must be issued by your home state. This gives the FIB's a leg up on us cheeseheads in MI.
Because ILL-ANNOY requires you to get a permit to even purchase a gun (FOID CARD) this satisfies MI's goofy anti-2A laws. But because WI does not require permission be granted from the government, we cannot carry a handgun in MI, It must be locked in the trunk of a car for us to even be in that state legally

If you have a non-res permit, you can OC in MI. If you do not have a permit, then you are correct.

Nutczak

If you have a non-res permit, you can OC in MI. If you do not have a permit, then you are correct.

Can you please provide a cite?

I researched this subject very heavily a year ago, and I found that because WI does not issue any permit to own or carry a handgun, you cannot OC or CC in MI as a WI resident no matter what other states permits you may be in possession of. An IL foid card is honored and allows an IL resident with a valid FOID card to O-C, but not a WI resident.
You can only have a handgun in MI if you are at a shooting range (there is a legal definition of a shooting range also) or if you are hunting game where a handgun is allowed, and with a valid MI license.

The plain and simple. A WI resident cannot carry a handgun OC or CC in the state of MI.

Here is my cite copied from the same link you provided, it clearly states that your state of residence must be the issuing authority for a permit,. Since WI does not issues permits of any type whatsoever, it means we cannot legally carry a hangun in MI unless hunting or at a qualified shooting range. Transportation is also very tricky in MI for Wi residents, Please be careful so you do not get caught breaking MI law.

Possession of pistols by non-residents
MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid
CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in
Michigan without complying with MichiganÆs pisto...l registration
requirements. Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states
from MichiganÆs pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing
them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following
requirements are met:

1. The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,
transport, or carry a pistol,
2. The person is in possession of the license while in Michigan,
3. The person owns the pistol possessed in Michigan,
4. The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in
MCL 750.231a, and
5. The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to
establish residency here.

A non-resident must present the license issued by his or her state of
residence to a police officer upon demand. Failure to do so is a 90-day
misdemeanor. When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must
transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in
the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol
license issued by their state of residence.

Last edited:

protias

Can you please provide a cite?

I researched this subject very heavily a year ago, and I found that because WI does not issue any permit to own or carry a handgun, you cannot OC or CC in MI as a WI resident no matter what other states permits you may be in possession of. An IL foid card is honored and allows an IL resident with a valid FOID card to O-C, but not a WI resident.
You can only have a handgun in MI if you are at a shooting range (there is a legal definition of a shooting range also) or if you are hunting game where a handgun is allowed, and with a valid MI license.

The plain and simple. A WI resident cannot carry a handgun OC or CC in the state of MI.

Here is my cite copied from the same link you provided, it clearly states that your state of residence must be the issuing authority for a permit,. Since WI does not issues permits of any type whatsoever, it means we cannot legally carry a hangun in MI unless hunting or at a qualified shooting range. Transportation is also very tricky in MI for Wi residents, Please be careful so you do not get caught breaking MI law.

Possession of pistols by non-residents
MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid
CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in
Michigan without complying with MichiganÆs pisto...l registration
requirements. Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states
from MichiganÆs pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing
them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following
requirements are met:

1. The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,
transport, or carry a pistol,
2. The person is in possession of the license while in Michigan,
3. The person owns the pistol possessed in Michigan,
4. The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in
MCL 750.231a, and
5. The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to
establish residency here.

A non-resident must present the license issued by his or her state of
residence to a police officer upon demand. Failure to do so is a 90-day
misdemeanor. When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must
transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in
the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol
license issued by their state of residence.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Michigan...&p=1393765&viewfull=1#post1393765

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Michigan...&p=1395614&viewfull=1#post1395614

Nutczak

Read line 1!!

The permit to purchase, own or carry must be issued from your own state of residence, An out of state permit from FL, UT, or wherever else is not your state of residence.

WI has no permit requirements, so this disqualifies you from carrying in any manner in the state of MI.

A FIB can OC there because of their states FOID card requirement to posess a firearm, WI DOES NOT ISSUE ANY PERMIt, SO NO DEAL IN MI

Again, read line "1"
You got this info from the IL forum, that should give you a little bit of background right there.

protias

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
misdemeanor; penalty.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Says nothing about residency.

Nutczak

The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
misdemeanor; penalty.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Says nothing about residency.

YES IT DOES< READ LINE 1

here i'll paste it here for you "The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase,
transport, or carry a pistol"